Recommended Family Trips within Thailand

stament

We want to go on some family trips in March and April (avoiding Songkran) with our young family (3 boys).  

Any recommendations on places to visit on the mainland? 

Be good to visit some of the less touristy and busy places for some fun, culture and good food.

We will probably go on a road trip for a couple of weeks 

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, stament said:

Chiang Mai, 11, 6 and 2 years

Yes we like outside activities

Travelling by car I imagine...not easy to drive long distances with 3 young children.

If so, Chiang Rai is a very nice province...Khao Yai, as mentioned above, is also a great destination, but quite far from Chiang Mai.

Otherwise and not that far are the provinces along the Mekong and the Lao border, like Nan...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Travelling by car I imagine...not easy to drive long distances with 3 young children.

If so, Chiang Rai is a very nice province...Khao Yai, as mentioned above, is also a great destination, but quite far from Chiang Mai.

Otherwise and not that far are the provinces along the Mekong and the Lao border, like Nan...

Thanks for the responses. We actually intend to drive down to Prachup Kiri Khan and on a second trip to Chiang Saen where we recently visited.  

6 hours ago, stament said:

Chiang Mai, 11, 6 and 2 years

Yes we like outside activities

Chiang Rai, hill tribe trekking, the best trip I ever made, but that was 35 years ago, a private 3 day tour arranged from Chiang Mai with only one other couple and a guide, and well off the beaten track, fantastic experience.

This maybe a bit taxing with the young children though.

Another exceptional trip, albeit rather expensive, is a cruise down the Mehkong river from Chang Kong / Huay Sai for 2 days arriving in Luang Prabang. The overnight in the tour operators bungalows was superb also. Look up Luang Sai cruises. Probably more suited to a family with young children than the trekking.

If you prefer to drive around then still the Chiang Rai region is well worth exploring.

Edited by Tofer
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stament said:

Thanks for the responses. We actually intend to drive down to Prachup Kiri Khan and on a second trip to Chiang Saen where we recently visited.  

As you are travelling so far South you may want to consider Kao Sok national park. A friend of mine developed a unique resort in its midst. Look up Elephant Hills on the web. I'm sure the children would love it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tofer said:

As you are travelling so far South you may want to consider Kao Sok national park. A friend of mine developed a unique resort in its midst. Look up Elephant Hills on the web. I'm sure the children would love it.

Looks very nice but it's quite expensive, don't think my wife will allow it LOL