Is there a word for one time enjoyable experiences that you don't want to ever repeat?

Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

IMHO, a Jingthinger experience would have to involve something Jewish and gay. Otherwise, it just wouldn't work.

That's way too specific, my dude. 

Anyway, Jingthinger is only being used here as a placeholder word because I think it's pretty clear by now that there is no word or phrase in wide (or even narrow) usage that means the feeling of this topic.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If you enjoyed it why would you know right away you'd not want to repeat it. Basic human behaviour is to seek out pleasure avoid pain, and repeat what is pleasant. Answer word to your question is idiotic behaviour, not wanting to to repeat pleasurable experiences.

41 minutes ago, jerojero said:

If you enjoyed it why would you know right away you'd not want to repeat it. Basic human behaviour is to seek out pleasure avoid pain, and repeat what is pleasant. Answer word to your question is idiotic behaviour, not wanting to to repeat pleasurable experiences.

I already gave multiple examples of why in some cases it is quite rational (and arguably intelligent) to sometimes enjoy new experiences but realize I'm happy that I had that experience the one time, but never again.

More examples of entirely rational Jingthingers ...

-- Try opium. Enjoy it. Decide to not try again. Don't like being an addict.

-- Take a tourist trip to the Blue Grotto on Capri. Enjoy it. No desire to ever go back.

Come on now, folks. This kind of feeling can't be all that rare! Am I wrong? 

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

More examples of entirely rational Jingthingers ...

-- Try opium. Enjoy it. Decide to not try again. Don't like being an addict.

-- Take a tourist trip to the Blue Grotto on Capri. Enjoy it. No desire to ever go back.

Come on now, folks. This kind of feeling can't be all that rare! Am I wrong? 

I don't think there is a precise word for what you're talking about.  But there might be an idiom....though I still can't think of one that exactly matches. 

I don't think there is a precise word for what you're talking about.  But there might be an idiom....though I still can't think of one that exactly matches. 
I can't either and I still think it doesn't exist. I was also looking for widely understood phrases as well and I don't think that exists either. Perhaps there is a foreign word or phrase that fits? In English we use deja vu and Schadenfreude to describe feelings that we don't have English words for. Both of those are widely understood by English speakers. If there is a foreign word or phrase that means the feeling described in this topic perhaps it would have potential to eventually be adopted by English.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

maybe just good old 'disappointment'?...'it wasn't all that I expected so I ain't gonna bother again...'

different kindsa dope, famous tourist places all fall into that category...

'man, this is some nice shit...' and then you look around and don't wanna be in the same company as yer fellow dopeheads...buncha lowlife sleazeballs...

in Florence and admiring the magnificence and then looking closely and noticing the beggars and the garbage...

I'll stick to rural asia and keep things simple...I notice that my vocabulary is reduced the older I get...suits my command of the local language...

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That would because it doesn't exist. I know what you mean though, but who doesn't want to do something they enjoyed again, unless it was sex that was so good it almost killed one.

I know exactly what OP means in respect of enjoyable sex. On a few occasions i have not wanted to repeat the lovely experience for fear it will not be so good. To my surprise however when i did repeat it actually got better and that happened 4 times. However the feeling that it could not get better became stronger each time. I do not know of an English word but i suspect another language will have.  Swedish may be a good starting point.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2018 at 5:02 AM, jerojero said:

Simple for the fear that it will not be as good next time and therefore your memory will not be so enjoyable.

prospecting for Gold in New guinea,the first time was tough but profitable,i thought that was not too bad but i don't really want to do it again.

Greed of course lured me back several times and each trip got worse,Porters eaten by wild cannibal tribesmen,Malaria,one of our boats sinking,one of my buisiness partner's going insane and having to be strapped to a stretcher,having to pour our own brandy after several Porters fled after the cannibal incident. The final straw was when i was bathing naked in the river and i caught one of my other partners in the venture staring at me in a most unnatural fashion.