Gen Prawit asks NACC for one more week to clarify about his wristwatches

webfact

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The one that the poster that I was replying to mentioned.  Obviously.

Yea, which one is that? You asked how many of the people were polled. Not which one.

Can you keep to answering the questions that have been asked.

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, which one is that? You asked how many of the people were polled. Not which one.

Can you keep to answering the questions that have been asked.

No need. We can draw our own conclusions based on the sidestepping and whataboutery he needs to employ rather than responding to perfectly straightforward questions. 

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, baboon said:

No need. We can draw our own conclusions based on the sidestepping and whataboutery he needs to employ rather than responding to perfectly straightforward questions. 

Oh, I don’t take anything he says seriously. Seeing how he speaks to other members on here I just get a kick out of bullying him. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

"You asked how many of the people were polled".

You're right, for once, that's because I have no interest whatsoever in knowing which poll.  

You're the one asking which poll, not me, why don't you ask him if you're so interested.  

I wanted to know how many people were asked their views that's why I asked "how many"!

16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"You asked how many of the people were polled".

You're right, for once, that's because I have no interest whatsoever in knowing which poll.  

You're the one asking which poll, not me, why don't you ask him if you're so interested.  

I wanted to know how many people were asked their views that's why I asked "how many"!

Again, which poll?? How is anyone supposed to know how many people were polled if we don't know the specific pole you are asking about. There have been many. 

You asked him how many. I asked which poll for how many. I assumed 'you' knew which poll 'you' were referring to. Or are you just asking silly questions to detract attention away? 

I believe the correct question would have been "Which poll are you talking about?". He might have told you and you could have googled the rest of the information you wanted. Seemingly you don't know which poll he's talking about but thought you'd ask an obtuse and eristic question about it anyway. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Again, which poll?? How is anyone supposed to know how many people were polled if we don't know the specific pole you are asking about. There have been many. 

You asked him how many. I asked which poll for how many. I assumed 'you' knew which poll 'you' were referring to. Or are you just asking silly questions to detract attention away? 

I believe the correct question would have been "Which poll are you talking about?". He might have told you and you could have googled the rest of the information you wanted. Seemingly you don't know which poll he's talking about but thought you'd ask an obtuse and eristic question about it anyway. 

The correct question was the one I asked him because I knew what I wanted to ask him and the question was neither eristic nor obtuse. 

If you want to know anything else you should ask him, not me.

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The correct question was the one I asked him because I knew what I wanted to ask him and the question was neither eristic nor obtuse. 

If you want to know anything else you should ask him, not me.

Well if you knew what you wanted to ask him, then it must have been the right question. 

Kinda like someone asking what was 'the score' last weekend and then refusing to specify which game they're talking about. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, PatOngo said:

I look forward to the day when they recognise bullshit for what it is but I don't hold out much hope they will ever get there!

That kind of cognitive education is usually learnt before they become important junta poodles.

22 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How many of "the people" were polled?

192,000 respondents.

" Teenee Thai PBS Facebook Page asked people to weigh in during the 24 hours, from the evening of January 31 through February 1, and learned that 184,000 people, or 96 per cent out of 192,000 participants, voted for Prawit to leave office. Another 8,500 (4 per cent) wanted him to stay. "

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337839

2 minutes ago, toybits said:

192,000 respondents.

" Teenee Thai PBS Facebook Page asked people to weigh in during the 24 hours, from the evening of January 31 through February 1, and learned that 184,000 people, or 96 per cent out of 192,000 participants, voted for Prawit to leave office. Another 8,500 (4 per cent) wanted him to stay. "

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30337839

Thanks, regardless of the difficulty some poster had understanding my very simple question, I'm glad you understood it.

The problem now is that those stats indicate that, according to that "poll", only 0.27% of the 68+ million population want him gone. 

20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks, regardless of the difficulty some poster had understanding my very simple question, I'm glad you understood it.

The problem now is that those stats indicate that, according to that "poll", only 0.27% of the 68+ million population want him gone. 

Well, that is the nature of a poll. It takes a sample of the whole. Statistically - it should be representative of the population - unless there was some bias in the sampling method. If you want a bigger sampling base, it would take more time and money. If you compare this poll with other polls where the sample size was only a thousand or so respondents, this poll has a sample size 100 times more than those.

24 minutes ago, toybits said:

Well, that is the nature of a poll. It takes a sample of the whole. Statistically - it should be representative of the population - unless there was some bias in the sampling method. If you want a bigger sampling base, it would take more time and money. If you compare this poll with other polls where the sample size was only a thousand or so respondents, this poll has a sample size 100 times more than those.

"Well, that is the nature of a poll".

That was my point.  It means nothing unless that sample is representative of the population and those polled answer truthfully and usually most polls don't fit those requirements.

On 2/17/2018 at 12:21 PM, Just Weird said:

"Well, that is the nature of a poll".

That was my point.  It means nothing unless that sample is representative of the population and those polled answer truthfully and usually most polls don't fit those requirements.

This is an example of a Suan Dusit Poll published in the other Paper than Cannot be Named.  Sample size was 1,016 persons.

"The government under Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has received a score of only 5.35 points out of 10 for its overall performance, an opinion poll conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, or Suan Dusit Poll, revealed on Sunday.

The poll was carried out on Feb 12-17 on 1,016 people throughout the country to compile their opinions on the performance of the government, which has about one year to go before a general election according to its political roadmap."

On 14/02/2018 at 7:06 AM, LazySlipper said:

And in the end, "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose... the more that things change the more they stay the same..."

Not to be a smarty but if you need to translate Jean Baptistes quote probably just better off writing it in English n'cest pas?

Edited by starky

14 minutes ago, toybits said:

This is an example of a Suan Dusit Poll published in the other Paper than Cannot be Named.  Sample size was 1,016 persons.

"The government under Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has received a score of only 5.35 points out of 10 for its overall performance, an opinion poll conducted by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, or Suan Dusit Poll, revealed on Sunday.

The poll was carried out on Feb 12-17 on 1,016 people throughout the country to compile their opinions on the performance of the government, which has about one year to go before a general election according to its political roadmap."

Are you suggesting that because that poll was published in the Bangkok Post it has more credibility even though only 1,016 people were polled.  Meaningless, in my opinion.

"Well, that is the nature of a poll"

As an example:

A reliable scientific poll of 2,000 Americans taken during 1-6 November 2017 — just a month before US President Donald Trump announced that America’s Embassy will move to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv — showed that 63% of Americans were opposed to the move, and 31% supported it.

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2017/12/13/poll-2to1-americans-oppose-moving-us-embassy-jerusalem.html

The US population in 2017 was 324,459,463. Polls are applied to very small populations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Are you suggesting that because that poll was published in the Bangkok Post it has more credibility even though only 1,016 people were polled.  Meaningless, in my opinion.

Your words - not mine. I am just following Thai Visa policy regarding not mentioning the Other Newspaper. I am not suggesting anything - just making a comparison with the sample size which you had dismissed as being too small a sample size. The Suan Dusit poll quoted above is not even a 100th of that poll which you had problems with. What is your problem?

3 minutes ago, toybits said:

Your words - not mine. I am just following Thai Visa policy regarding not mentioning the Other Newspaper. I am not suggesting anything - just making a comparison with the sample size which you had dismissed as being too small a sample size. The Suan Dusit poll quoted above is not even a 100th of that poll which you had problems with. What is your problem?

'Your words - not mine. I am just following Thai Visa policy regarding not mentioning the Other Newspaper".

Thaivisa doesn't have a policy of not mentioning the Bangkok Post, if it did this post, my last one and all the others that have ever mentioned the words 'Bangkok Post' would be deleted.

"I am not suggesting anything - just making a comparison with the sample size which you had dismissed as being too small a sample size. The Suan Dusit poll quoted above is not even a 100th of that poll which you had problems with. What is your problem?"

Gawd, now you're going in that direction. Just because I have an opinion does it have to be a problem?  This is a forum, people discuss things and some of them have differing opinions.  My opinion in this case is that none of these polls have any credibility in terms of the results because they are not representative of anything.  If credible representation is wanted then referendums are the way to go, not guess work by pollsters.

It means nothing unless that sample is representative of the population and those polled answer truthfully

The ingredients of an accurate poll:

• recruit a large group of people—preferably more than 1,000 (note >1,000 considered "large")
  • sample split evenly between women and men
  • reflect the population’s mix in terms of race, education, income and geographical distribution (no age? maybe below - doubt Thai polls consider all factors)
  • analyse the gaps in the sample and weight the results to account for groups that are under-represented (doubt Thai polls take this step)

“Polling is an art, but it’s largely a scientific endeavour" -  Michael Link, president and chief executive of Abt SRBI polling firm in New York City and former president of the American Association for Public Opinion Research.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-polling-crisis-how-to-tell-what-people-really-think/

It would be useful to see an outside professional pollster who has no political or economic connection with Thai society conduct Thai polls. As a minimum to validate results from various Thai-based polls.

Edited by Srikcir
add link
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The ingredients of an accurate poll:

• recruit a large group of people—preferably more than 1,000 (note >1,000 considered "large")
  • sample split evenly between women and men
  • reflect the population’s mix in terms of race, education, income and geographical distribution (no age? maybe below - doubt Thai polls consider all factors)
  • analyse the gaps in the sample and weight the results to account for groups that are under-represented (doubt Thai polls take this step)

“Polling is an art, but it’s largely a scientific endeavour" -  Michael Link, president and chief executive of Abt SRBI polling firm in New York City and former president of the American Association for Public Opinion Research.

It would be useful to see an outside professional pollster who has no political or economic connection with Thai society conduct Thai polls. As a minimum to validate results from various Thai-based polls.

I think the part i highlighted is real hard to do here in Thailand, not sure all that information is available. 

29 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

As an example:

A reliable scientific poll of 2,000 Americans taken during 1-6 November 2017 — just a month before US President Donald Trump announced that America’s Embassy will move to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv — showed that 63% of Americans were opposed to the move, and 31% supported it.

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2017/12/13/poll-2to1-americans-oppose-moving-us-embassy-jerusalem.html

The US population in 2017 was 324,459,463. Polls are applied to very small populations.

Sorry, what's your point of that "example"?

"The US population in 2017 was 324,459,463. Polls are applied to very small populations".

They're taken in places with large populations also, as you demonstrated.

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

What else would the president of a polling firm say!

22 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

'Your words - not mine. I am just following Thai Visa policy regarding not mentioning the Other Newspaper".

Thaivisa doesn't have a policy of not mentioning the Bangkok Post, if it did this post, my last one and all the others that have ever mentioned the words 'Bangkok Post' would be deleted.

"I am not suggesting anything - just making a comparison with the sample size which you had dismissed as being too small a sample size. The Suan Dusit poll quoted above is not even a 100th of that poll which you had problems with. What is your problem?"

Gawd, now you're going in that direction. Just because I have an opinion does it have to be a problem?  This is a forum, people discuss things and some of them have differing opinions.  My opinion in this case is that none of these polls have any credibility in terms of the results because they are not representative of anything.  If credible representation is wanted then referendums are the way to go, not guess work by pollsters.

Oh, that would be really great! Have a referendum to decide whether to eat Somtam or Phat Thai. Yes! That would work. This is a "Yes! You did!" "No! I didn't!"  Well You are entitled to your opinion - as I am entitled to mine. You obviously have a problem with the way polls are conducted. That is not my problem - but yours. Take in on with the people or organizations doing these polls. You should educated them and tell them they are so F1@#king Wrong! Suggest to the that a referendum should be conducted instead of those ridiculous polls which a way too small a sample size of 1000 respondents. From now on polls should only consist of the entire voting population. Yeah! That would work wouldn't it?  Good day.

Edited by toybits
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, toybits said:

Oh, that would be really great! Have a referendum to decide whether to eat Somtam or Phat Thai. Yes! That would work. This is a "Yes! You did!" "No! I didn't!"  Well You are entitled to your opinion - as I am entitled to mine. You obviously have a problem with the way polls are conducted. That is not my problem - but yours. Take in on with the people or organizations doing these polls. You should educated them and tell them they are so F1@#king Wrong! Suggest to the that a referendum should be conducted instead of those ridiculous polls which a way too small a sample size of 1000 respondents. From now on polls should only consist of the entire voting population. Yeah! That would work wouldn't it?  Good day.

"Oh, that would be really great! Have a referendum to decide whether to eat Somtam or Phat Thai. Yes! That would work"

Thar's been suggested by someone, has it?

"You obviously have a problem with the way polls are conducted. That is not my problem - but yours. Take in on with the people or organizations doing these polls. You should educated them and tell them they are so F1@#king Wrong! Suggest to the that a referendum should be conducted instead of those ridiculous polls which a way too small a sample size of 1000 respondents. From now on polls should only consist of the entire voting population. Yeah! That would work wouldn't it?  Good day"

Very clearly, it's not me that has a problem.

16 minutes ago, toybits said:

How many of your keyboard keys did you smash when banging that out?