Bangkok haze only affects sensitive people: MOPH

webfact

Bangkok haze only affects sensitive people: MOPH

PNSOC610213001008701.jpg

NONTHABURI, 14 February 2018 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has advised the current haze in Bangkok may only affect some sensitive people while others remain intact. 

The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) revealed the current air pollution situation in the capital city has exceeded the healthy level, which may cause symptoms of respiratory problems among certain people. 

The MOPH's data shows the increasing trend of conjunctivitis in some areas, with no significant changes to the number of respiratory disease cases, while only some Bangkok areas and neighboring provinces have been affected by the unhealthy air conditions. 

The general public are advised to exercise as normal, but sensitive groups such as people with respiratory diseases, small children, pregnant women, those with asthma or heart diseases are advised to be careful for some irregular symptoms such as itches, eye irritations, running nose, coughs, dry throats, breathing difficulties, chest pains, headaches, and nausea.

People in sensitive groups are advised to stay indoors, and wear appropriate facial masks outdoors. Public health officials and volunteers have been instructed to inform the people of the healthy practices and distribute facial masks. 

Fine airborne particulate matter can cause effects to the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, the eyes, and skin. Severity of the effect depends on the exposure, age, the immune system, the intensity of air pollution, as well as history of lung and heart diseases. 

The sensitive groups of people are advised to closely monitor the air quality index and keep eye on their symptoms and make sure they have the proper medicine to cure their diseases. They should also immediately seek medical attention or call Hotline 1422, should symptoms such as chest pains, breathing difficulties, or eye irritations occur.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-02-14
  • Haha 1

The article makes a brief reference:

"Fine airborne particulate matter can cause effects to the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, the eyes, and skin. Severity of the effect depends on the exposure, age, the immune system, the intensity of air pollution, as well as history of lung and heart diseases."

Particulates - Wikipedia

"In 2013, a study involving 312,944 people in nine European countries revealed that there was no safe level of particulates and that for every increase of 10 μg/m3 in PM10, the lung cancer rate rose 22%. The smaller PM2.5 were particularly deadly, with a 36% increase in lung cancer per 10 μg/m3 as it can penetrate deeper into the lungs."

So far today max 186 μg/m3 :

Bangkok Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1

Its a thing. I can confirm. 

My eyes sting within minutes of being in outside here in downtown - sukhumvit sathorn silom. 

It is painful and if out for more than 20 min then it continues at night. Eyes bloodshot. 

It kinda reminds me of the situation in early 90s when there were no real taxis nor mass trans. We used the boats when possible and in fact spent much more time near the river. Buses were belching diesel etc. But I was young and so excited I walked from hualampong to sathorn and then witayu by map. Silly boy. My eyes stung a lot at night. 

• Like 1