Accused Florida gunman visited restaurants, store after killing - police

webfact

Accused Florida gunman visited restaurants, store after killing - police

By Bernie Woodall and Zachary Fagenson

fl.jpg

Nikolas Cruz (C) appears via video monitor with Melisa McNeill (R), his public defender, at a bond court hearing after being charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S., February 15, 2018. REUTERS/Susan Stocker/Pool

PARKLAND, Fla. (Reuters) - The 19-year-old man accused of killing 17 people at a Florida high school fled hidden in a crowd of frightened students and visited two fast food restaurants before he was arrested less than two hours after the massacre, officials said on Thursday.

Authorities said the alleged gunman, Nikolas Cruz, stopped at a Wal-Mart, a Subway restaurant and a McDonald's immediately after carrying out the second-deadliest mass shooting at a public school in U.S. history.

"The suspect crossed fields and ran west along with others who were fleeing and tried to mix in with the group that were running away, fearing for their lives," Broward Country Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters.

Cruz, who has been charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, is accused of using a legally purchased AR-15-style weapon in Wednesday's attack, moving through Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland outside Miami. Cruz was a former student of the school who had been expelled.

The accused shooter may have left warning signs on social media in the form of a comment on YouTube video that read "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." A YouTube user passed that comment on the Federal Bureau of Investigation in September, but the FBI did not connect it to Cruz.

"No other information was included with that comment which would indicate a time, location or the true identity of the person who made the comment," FBI Special Agent in Charge Robert Lasky told reporters. He noted that the YouTube user who reported the comment lives in Mississippi and said that investigators saw nothing to link it to Florida.

Wednesday's shooting was the 18th in a U.S. school this year, according to gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety. It stirred the long-simmering U.S. debate on the right to bear arms, which is protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

President Donald Trump addressed the shooting in a White House speech that emphasized school safety and mental health while avoiding any mention of gun policy.

"It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference," Trump said at the White House. "We must actually make that difference."

Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives criticized the Republican leadership for refusing to take up legislation on tightening background checks for prospective gun buyers.

"It's appalling," Representative Mike Thompson told reporters. "Thirty people every day are killed by someone using a gun, and the best we can do is say we need more information?"

The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights.

Fifteen people were injured in Wednesday's shooting, according to local hospital officials.

'BROKEN HUMAN BEING'

Cruz's court-appointed lawyer said he had expressed remorse for his crimes.

"He's a broken human being," public defender Melisa McNeill told reporters. "He's sad, he's mournful, he's remorseful."

Cruz had done paramilitary training with a white nationalist militia called the Republic of Florida, a leader of the group said.

"He had some involvement with the Clearwater Republic of Florida cell at some point," Jordan Jereb said in a telephone interview. Reuters could not immediately verify the claim.

Cruz loved guns and had been expelled from high school for disciplinary reasons, police and former classmates said.

Cruz told police that he had carried out the attack, according to an arrest document released on Thursday, which noted that he made that admission after being advised of his right not to incriminate himself.

In a brief court appearance, Cruz spoke only two words, "Yes ma'am," when a judge asked him to confirm his name. He was ordered held without bond.

Cruz had recently moved in with another family after his mother's death in November, according to Jim Lewis, a lawyer representing the family, bringing his AR-15 along with his other belongings.

The family believed Cruz was depressed, but attributed that to his mother's death, not mental illness, Lewis said.

Victims included an assistant football coach who sheltered students, a social science teacher and multiple students.

People who live on same street as Cruz said he alarmed them by shooting squirrels and rabbits in the neighbourhood as well as chickens being raised in a nearby backyard. Several times a year, they observed law enforcement officials at his house.

"Killing animals was no problem for this young man," said Rhonda Roxburgh, 45, who lived on the block for several years and whose parents continue to live there.

For a graphic on the Florida school shooting map, click - 2nX8ECo

(Additional reporting by Jonathan Allen and Peter Szekely in New York, David Alexander, Lindsay Dunsmuir, Mark Hosenball and Susan Heavey in Washington, Jon Herskovitz in Austin and Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Writing by Scott Malone; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-02-16

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference," Trump said at the White House. "We must actually make that difference."

"It's not enough to just talk about it, we must actually do something... it's just so complex and involved, that no action would be the best action."

"The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights."!!!!!

Is it just me or aren't severely mentally ill people JUST the exact citizens you want need to deprive of their gun rights?!!  What a crazy statement.  It does explain an awful lot though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tubber said:

Does anyone else find that statement rather ridiculous?

Only if you think that everyone has equal rights but some people's rights are more equal than others (or that some elements of society have to be forced to have lesser rights than everyone else).

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, saminoz said:

"The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights."!!!!!

Is it just me or aren't severely mentally ill people JUST the exact citizens you want need to deprive of their gun rights?!!  What a crazy statement.  It does explain an awful lot though.

I would include White Supremacists on the list of mentally ill.

Also:  military-type guns and ammo should be illegal in the US, except by uniformed licensed security personnel/military on-duty.   Won't happen in my lifetime, but maybe in 60 years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saminoz said:

As you elevated the quote from "mentally ill" to the misquote of "severely mentally ill" it is just you.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

As you elevated the quote from "mentally ill" to the misquote of "severely mentally ill" it is just you.

From the OP:

"The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights."

I guess it is just you then?

Having been spanked on a different subject, you are now stalking my posts?  Lol, jump back on your bar stool.

Banana - gun fight. Reduct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bottom line, the gun nut culture is going to make this one all about mental illness and ignore the reality that the public doesn't need the kind of weapons of mass destruction that this kid was able to buy ... LEGALLY. 

With Trump leading the way:

"So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!"

@realDonaldTrump

Edited by Enoon

The public defender's saying that Cruz is a broken child has caused me to feel sick ! 

I am against the death penalty in principle (and some would argue that would be too good for him anyway) ; so, hopefully, he will get life sentence without any chance of parole.

Edited by JemJem
  • Thanks 1

The public defender's saying that Cruz is a broken child has caused me to feel sick ! 

I am against the death penalty in principle (and some would argue that would be too good for him anyway) ; so, hopefully, he will get life sentence without any chance of parole.

She's doing her job.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The kid was obviously out of his head.

Belonged in a facility that deals with lunatics such as him.

But of course ... !  

"Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses"

Trump signed a bill into law rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.  The National Rifle Association “applauded” Trump’s action. Chris Cox, NRA-ILA executive director, said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

The ways Trump is trying to make it easier for Americans to access guns: What he has done and said so far

"He also assured association – which had donated more than $30m to his presidential campaign – that it now has “a true friend and champion in the White House.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-gun-control-las-vegas-shooting-stephen-paddock-firearms-open-carry-a7979566.html

Edited by Opl
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

And so there are tens of thousands of idiots like him with assault weapons running around free thanx to the

criminal NRA leadership who is fine with the ownership. Not even talking about their criminal lobbyist and all those bribed by the NRA. They need to go quickly.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

She's doing her job.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, I know; but it is still sickening to hear/read those words, when one knows that he planned all this, and killed 17 people and messed up the mental state of their loved ones forever.

5 hours ago, JemJem said:

Florida has the death penalty and is just fine for this nut,

however the first to be legally attacked should be the NRA and the folks who support those idiots.

• Sad 1

On 2/16/2018 at 11:41 AM, natway09 said:

There you go.  Trump in his address to the nation is not even prepared to talk about REAL gun control. With this stupid American attitude it will just happen, again, again & again

God help America, because they will not help themselves

Trump is no more capable of saying things the NRA doesn't want to hear, than he's able to say anything non-flattering about Putin.  

On 2/16/2018 at 12:27 PM, saminoz said:

From the OP:  "The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights."

I guess it is just you then? Having been spanked on a different subject, you are now stalking my posts?  Lol, jump back on your bar stool. Banana - gun fight. Reduct.

That was the FIRST regulation that Trump signed. He did it FIRST THING, the day after the inauguration.   With one sloppy signature, Trump gave the finger to the approx 3,500 Americans who will be shot and killed during each year he's in office ("too bad suckers. I guess you just had the bad luck to be on the receiving end of that nut-case's gun barrel, ha ha ha"),  ......and concurrently, Trump gave the NRA (and gun/ammo manufacturers) 'happy ending' hand jobs.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:14 AM, JemJem said:

Yes, I know; but it is still sickening to hear/read those words, when one knows that he planned all this, and killed 17 people and messed up the mental state of their loved ones forever.

True.  But other trends will follow:   These sorts of sick killings will further increase fears and paranoia among youngsters. Some kids will take their vindictiveness to falsely accuse others they're pissed off at (or jealous of).  It's a downward spiral.  Thanks to Trump voters and the NRA for further debilitating the US.  Putin and Xi are happy.

For those who say, "why blame Trump (?), when there were shooting during the time Obama was president."   To some degree, I agree.  A president can't be directly blamed for shooting deaths and injuries in the US.  Shit happens.

However, there are differences between the two men.   I don't know to what agree Obama wanted sane gun laws, but am pretty sure he (and HRC and other reasonable folks) wanted to lessen the easy availability of military grade weapons and ammo.  It's clear Trump is doing exactly what NRA (and gun manufacturers) wants him to do:  make military grade weapons as easily available as possible.  

On 2/16/2018 at 8:49 AM, tubber said:

Does anyone else find that statement rather ridiculous?

"The Republican-controlled Congress last year revoked Obama-era regulations meant to make it harder for those with severe mental illness to pass FBI background checks for guns, saying the rule deprived the mentally ill of their gun rights".

Yes and No, replace the part that says gun rights, with deprived the mentally ill of their constitutional rights of due process.

Edited by riclag

On 2/16/2018 at 7:08 AM, Boon Mee said:

Years ago (before mass shootings started) authorities could detain and assess people deemed to be a danger to others/themselves - fail the tests and they are locked away - there were lots of mental institutions.  Well meaning liberals changed the laws and under their 'human right's laws this practice was banned.  Now authorities must tread very very carefully, and basically now have to to prove someone is going to kill people - which is almost impossible.  Every attempt to bring back 'detain and asses' laws has been blocked by human rights activists. 

Liberals want guns banned. Conservatives want nutters locked up. I go for the lock 'em up approach - it worked before. Sure, there were mistakes made in the past, but the mistakes this modern approach is making is costing lives.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, wabothai said:

And so there are tens of thousands of idiots like him with assault weapons running around free thanx to the

criminal NRA leadership who is fine with the ownership. Not even talking about their criminal lobbyist and all those bribed by the NRA. They need to go quickly.

Americans have the right to have weapons, its in our Constitution,It's law! We have the right to protect ourselves from criminals and according to the second amendment to protect our self from the tyranny of  government .There are millions of American's who aren't criminals, who have guns and obey the many laws that each state imposes. Enforce the laws,don't take the suspicious reports and do nothing about it.

Edited by riclag