Waves and Supercubs - To basket or not to basket?

Familyonthemove

.... that is the question I've had since buying my Supercub.

On the positive side that front basket is very useful when nipping to 7-11, but the negatives are that it obstructs the headlight, adds to the unsprung weight and, the big one, makes it looks like you're riding a girls bike.

What's the thoughts from the TV experts?

The weight is negligible  so cross that one off your list. 

It does obstruct the light but not too badly when there is nothing in it.

It is very useful for chucking things in.

With or without it you are never going to look like a Hells Angel.

• Thanks 1

The front baskets look promising but are completely useless unless you ride on billiard smooth surfaces.   Whatever you put in there will bounce out. On the positive side they do sell covers. 

From a customization point of view? No, unless you live say in Indonesia where they don' t have them. 

KICX0009.JPG

• Like 1

i usually go to someone who works with leather and have them make a cover

over the whole thing with zippers around the top.

be sure they understand the cover needs slack so the zippers dont break one of these days

due to being too tight.

it works well against modest rain, but those heavy duty floods are too much,

in which case you can use your pocket knife and make a small hole at the bottom to let the water out.

it does protect against helmet thieves since those will never open the zippers just to check in case there's a helmet there, and it does help poining out which bike is mine among them all ?

• Like 1

IMO these basket attachments should be outlawed.  Yes they are good for small items but they do obstruct the headlight.

Therein lies the problem, especially at night time.

Bikes with out lights are a danger at night.  Too damn risky/stupid in my mind.

I had a basket on my wave but soon took it off.  I like to see where I'm going at night and I also like to think other road users can see me: less of a chance of getting hit.

• Like 1

IMO these basket attachments should be outlawed.  Yes they are good for small items but they do obstruct the headlight.

I had a basket on my wave but soon took it off.  I like to see where I'm going at night and I also like to think other road users can see me: less of a chance of getting hit.

In a land that has no effective policing or (real) yearly vehicle safety inspecting, your ‘p1ssing in the wind’, mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

I agree about the importance of seeing and being seen at night - so overloading is not a good idea - but I think there's a difference between thr Wave and the Supercub baskets?  The Wave's is mounted higher on the cowling just below the headlight, but the Cub's is mounted lower on the front mudguard.  Of course this increases the 'girls bike' factor, but also ups the max safe load to a four pack of Chang.

• Like 1

Honda Cub is not a "girls" bike. And even if it was that would only apply to people with a lack of self confidence.

It is in fact a utility motorcycle design for noodle delivery hence the semi-auto transmission so that it can be ridden with one hand. 

Ideal for a quick run to the shops etc..

• Like 2

On 18/02/2018 at 6:15 PM, poanoi said:

i usually go to someone who works with leather and have them make a cover

over the whole thing with zippers around the top.

be sure they understand the cover needs slack so the zippers dont break one of these days

due to being too tight.

it works well against modest rain, but those heavy duty floods are too much,

in which case you can use your pocket knife and make a small hole at the bottom to let the water out.

it does protect against helmet thieves since those will never open the zippers just to check in case there's a helmet there, and it does help poining out which bike is mine among them all ?

They make a cargo net especially for the Wave basket for 65 baht, you can double+ the carrying capacity and it will still fit and prevent upward mobility of the contents.

• Like 1