Tax time for teachers?

ghworker2010

48 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Both my annual bonus and monthly accommodation allowance are tax free.   :-)

They are never 'tax free' either your pay for it or your employer absorbs it

Pay taxes prior to wp being renewed. So if your agency or school is siphoning your tax payments you may no longer be working unless you're willing to pay tax 2x or they buckle.

A. You won't pay 2x. Leave the school but unless you pay the tax, new wp won't be issued at new school either.

B. You pay 2x which now lowers your avg monthly salary b1000-2500. So on top of your visa, visa runs, possible wp cost, 2x taxes, 90 day report, transport, clothes and incidental teaching expenses not even mentioning a laptop. You're getting 22.5k lol

C. The school or agency baulks and pays. They keep a teacher, less hassle than fishing for a new gambit.

IMG_20180303_125022834_1_1.jpg

It's also possible to pay less tax when supporting parents in law, no specific proof needed, forms are available at the revenue department, only personal ID's and signed by parents in law,.Also any donations are deductible,, a social security allowance, deduction when you pay into a life insurance, or similar, and a lot more, please see:

http://sherrings.com/personal-tax-deductions-allowances-thailand.html

On 3/1/2018 at 11:31 AM, pearciderman said:

If you read 1.2 of the above document it does mention tax receipt if you work for a company.

Paragraphs 2,3 and 4 which is private school/university, Government organisation and association/foundation - it makes no mention of a tax receipt.

So you think bc in your book it's not mentioned and therefore you are exempt from Thai law. Genius, hope you're teaching logic in addition to physics or is it just phonics at the local annuban?

4 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

So you think bc in your book it's not mentioned and therefore you are exempt from Thai law. Genius, hope you're teaching logic in addition to physics or is it just phonics at the local annuban?

No, what I said was that a tax receipt is not listed as a legal requirement for a work permit for teachers.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:46 AM, pearciderman said:

No, what I said was that a tax receipt is not listed as a legal requirement for a work permit for teachers.

Really are you certain of this? Maybe it's not a receipt perse but just showing the filing. As stated in the new at least BKK work permits - that renewals are not issued without proof of payment. Look back in the thread, the post you called pathetic. Black and white, printed directly in the wp. But there's always a chucklehead that will come on the board and tell you something contrary to Thai law or regulation, even swear by it.

So, angry man. Go right ahead and not pay your taxes. Might not be this year or next, you obviously are not working in the better schools in BKK, but the day will come.

What is the even the purpose of your comment/s? Just pay the damn tax.

I've been teaching for four years, each year I run across some little nugget of information or requirement that tells me Thailand is getting more serious about tax collection and better at doing it.

Any decent public school and even many crappy agencies will do your taxes online. If you're not good enough to rate either of these two, even the latter - the process is not that difficult to sort out.

After five years I'd think it would give you a shot at PR assuming you're making 40k+.

But none of this matters if you're struggling to break 35k and your 'career' is a life of broken blackboards, fan classroom and delinquent students. Always one thought away of a jump to Cambodia or Myanmar when you find yourself jobless after May each year.

I guess there's always job hopping between dicey language centers on an Ed visa...

Archived