Tax time for teachers?

ghworker2010

I can't remember if I have to visit the tax office prior to the end of Feb' or March. Can anyone assist?

This year I don't have a tax letter because I moved house since last visiting the office. Can I presume that they will be able to find me on the system? TIT. 

Many thanks

You can file Personal Income Tax return and make a payment to the Revenue Department within the last day of March following the taxable year. 

Of course can go you be there earlier to avoid the crowds.Even if you don't have your tax card, you've got a Tax Number. They'll find you on their system and please be aware that they've added a few numbers to the tax number. I hope that helps you a bit. 

P.S. The changes of the tax number was made a while ago, can't really remember when, but they'll have your actual one. 

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

You can file Personal Income Tax return and make a payment to the Revenue Department within the last day of March following the taxable year. 

Of course can go you be there earlier to avoid the crowds.Even if you don't have your tax card, you've got a Tax Number. They'll find you on their system and please be aware that they've added a few numbers to the tax number. I hope that helps you a bit. 

P.S. The changes of the tax number was made a while ago, can't really remember when, but they'll have your actual one. 

Thanks for that. 

cheers

Of note to any new teachers out there, by which I mean having worked less than one year in Thailand:  Income tax returns, and payment of income taxes are based on the calendar year. If your contract is for the academic year, that is irrelevant.  The deadline for 2017 is March 31, 2018.

Sorry, not wanting to create a new thread and have following question:  I'm working for an agency and my contract states that all tax will be paid by them. Unfortunately, have I heard that they do not pay, and only wanted to know what my chances are with an in English written contract when going to the Revenue department?

P.S. There's nobody who understands English. 

I'll of course have somebody with me who's better in Thai than I am. 

33 minutes ago, allane said:

Of note to any new teachers out there, by which I mean having worked less than one year in Thailand:  Income tax returns, and payment of income taxes are based on the calendar year. If your contract is for the academic year, that is irrelevant.  The deadline for 2017 is March 31, 2018.

Is the income reported from the 31st March last yr to the 31st this yr? Is that what your saying?

I think the tax rates have change this year also, in the worker's favour. I earned more this year but will get back about 10K more baht than last year. I claim for my son and for some insurance, but my employer does not adjust for this, so I normally get money back. 

1 hour ago, ghworker2010 said:

Is the income reported from the 31st March last yr to the 31st this yr? Is that what your saying?

No he is saying the tax year goes from 01-01-2017 until 31-12-2017 and you have to file before 31 march this year.

You have to file before the end of March. The closer to the end of March you get the more busy they become. If I wait for my individual tax return to arrive by post, it usually gets here early March. But I normally go late this week or early next and once you give them your tax number they give you the forms. Fill them in there and they give you a printed receipt, job done!

Have to say, the people at the tax office are usually incredibly friendly and very helpful. 

On 2/18/2018 at 5:13 PM, jenny2017 said:

Sorry, not wanting to create a new thread and have following question:  I'm working for an agency and my contract states that all tax will be paid by them. Unfortunately, have I heard that they do not pay, and only wanted to know what my chances are with an in English written contract when going to the Revenue department?

P.S. There's nobody who understands English. 

I'll of course have somebody with me who's better in Thai than I am. 

Your agency will be "pocketing" the "tax" money they deduct from you...nothing surer!!! To deal with this (I am assuming you get a pay slip showing the deduction?)...take your pay slips to the tax office when you visit them and give them the agency name..address...and contacts.

If you are NOT receiving a payslip but are sure that tax is in fact  being deducted....demand a tax deduction certificate from the agency (monthly/weekly - whatever your pay cycle is) ...if they don't oblige.... tell them you will report the matter to the tax office.

Yes, they will make out you are a "troublemaker"...a typical response from an agency...but you are leaving yourself exposed to tax office "officialdom" as things stand at the moment. 

A common scam amongest teaching agencies.

1 hour ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Your agency will be "pocketing" the "tax" money they deduct from you...nothing surer!!! To deal with this (I am assuming you get a pay slip showing the deduction?)...take your pay slips to the tax office when you visit them and give them the agency name..address...and contacts.

If you are NOT receiving a payslip but are sure that tax is in fact  being deducted....demand a tax deduction certificate from the agency (monthly/weekly - whatever your pay cycle is) ...if they don't oblige.... tell them you will report the matter to the tax office.

Yes, they will make out you are a "troublemaker"...a typical response from an agency...but you are leaving yourself exposed to tax office "officialdom" as things stand at the moment. 

Tax needs to be paid (and have the receipt and possibly a copy of the filled in sheet) I do mine online so can print both automatically. These are needed to renew the wp/extend visa (I don't recall which one). 

8 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

If the teacher refuses to pay the tax twice, they cannot get the bin to show the labor office. Teacher is without a job. Agency loses teacher as well. Again, according to back page of WP proof required to renew. It will be interesting for those working for sketchy agencies.

If the teacher refuses to pay the tax twice, they cannot get the bin to show the labor office. Teacher is without a job. Agency loses teacher as well. Again, according to back page of WP proof required to renew. It will be interesting for those working for sketchy agencies.

You can pay in 3 installments, by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/19/2018 at 9:20 PM, KIWIBATCH said:

Message sent. 

On 2/19/2018 at 7:15 PM, ozmeldo said:

You will not be allowed to work the following year if your taxes are not paid. Look at the back page of your (new) work permit.

I always have underpaid taxes. Better I owe the government than the government owing me.

There's nothing about taxes on the back page. neither in the old, nor in the new work permit. 

Work permit old and new.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, jenny2017 said:

Personally, I used to like to wait until April and pay the 100 baht fine, with no crowds. Now, I do it online.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:34 AM, ozmeldo said:

It must been in the year 2007 when an Indian woman was sent back to the revenue department of Sisaket to clear her taxes when she wanted to fly home from Don Muang. Obviously not what she'd been expected. 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:42 AM, DILLIGAD said:

You can pay in 3 installments, by the way.

What does that have to do with anything? You've filed or not. That's all they care about.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:32 PM, jenny2017 said:

There's nothing about taxes on the back page. neither in the old, nor in the new work permit. 

Work permit old and new.jpg

This is not the standard wp in BKK for which I've seen five. They are all the same, the difference is I think it's on the last page it states if you cannot show your taxes have been paid, no renewal. It might be in Thai, second to last page if I recall correctly.

And for everyone, if this is a thing then just because you live in the sticks does not mean they won't enforce this if it's mandated. They are throughly justified, if you haven't paid your taxes for year prior, why should they issue you a new wp?

I'm not dreaming this up. It's printed in my lastest wp.

54 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

What does that have to do with anything? You've filed or not. That's all they care about.

This is not the standard wp in BKK for which I've seen five. They are all the same, the difference is I think it's on the last page it states if you cannot show your taxes have been paid, no renewal. It might be in Thai, second to last page if I recall correctly.

And for everyone, if this is a thing then just because you live in the sticks does not mean they won't enforce this if it's mandated. They are throughly justified, if you haven't paid your taxes for year prior, why should they issue you a new wp?

I'm not dreaming this up. It's printed in my lastest wp.

The upper one was issued in June 2017 and i don't think that Thailand has different work permits for different provinces. The lower one is around eight years old. Please do not misunderstand my post, nobody said that you'd be a liar, I just haven't seen that in a wp before. My apologies if my eyes are that bad. BTW, the Thai part is the same as in English. 

P.S. I guess what Khun Dilligad meant was that you can pay in three installments should you financially be in a bad mood. It might be helpful for some people who got hit with a lot of tax. 

Renewal of a work permit requires that you show your tax receipt over the previous year. It also says so on the WP5 (renewal of work permit) form where it is listed under the documents you need to provide.

2 hours ago, Preacher said:

Renewal of a work permit requires that you show your tax receipt over the previous year. It also says so on the WP5 (renewal of work permit) form where it is listed under the documents you need to provide.

If you read 1.2 of the above document it does mention tax receipt if you work for a company.

Paragraphs 2,3 and 4 which is private school/university, Government organisation and association/foundation - it makes no mention of a tax receipt.

2 hours ago, pearciderman said:

If you read 1.2 of the above document it does mention tax receipt if you work for a company.

Paragraphs 2,3 and 4 which is private school/university, Government organisation and association/foundation - it makes no mention of a tax receipt.

You are right, just checked the form my self.

Must say that on my form the labor office added with a pen that they also want to see a copy of the contract and the tax receipt.

I forgot:

The PND 91 form for 2017 can be downloaded here: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/fileadmin/download/english_form/PIT91_220261.pdf      (you can fill it in on your computer)

The guide to the form here: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/fileadmin/download/english_form/Guide91_220261.pdf

This years allowance is 60,000 baht instead of 30,000 last year and the deducible expenses is now raised to 100,000 baht.

2 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I have a friend who gets a bonus of 100k baht every year. He says it's non taxable. Is this right? Seem a high amount for a teacher to be non-taxable.

It will depend on the school as to whether they decide to include it on your income statement. For many years, my school did not include it. But a few years ago the revenue department got much more strict about this, and now my school must include it. My bonus is not taxed, but I still got back a lot of money this year, as some of the tax rules changed. Most of my fellow teachers are getting back 7000-9000 baht this year, whereas in the past they would get nothing. 

Archived