Running Injury - Some advice before doctor.

BBJ

As a tennis player of many years, I have received numerous injuries to my arm and shoulder and recently stopped due to Rotor syndrome.  Wanting to maintain my fitness, I took up jogging which has never been my strong point due to lack of interest in the activity, however, I've now caught the bug after jogging on an off for a few minutes over a 20 minute period and really enjoy it.  Within 2 weeks I was managing a good 45 mins to an hour none stop, dropping 5kg in the process.  Thinking I wasn't overdoing it, I jogged one day on and one day off.  After 6 weeks, I had a pain in my right foot and stopped after 30 mins, and rested my foot for 2 days when it felt good to run again.  A similar situation happened with my left foot and I repeated the procedure.  When it felt good to run after doing the normal warmup routines etc, after 25 mins, my left foot felt uncomfortable again -a  bruised sensation across the top of my foot (Metatarsal?).  It has been nearly two weeks with any normal movement causing pain.  If I rest the foot, it is fine, as soon as I walk, it is painful and walking up and especially downstairs is very awkward.  I walk with a flat foot to ease the pain.  Of course, I may need to go to the doctors, but for any runners out there is this a common issue for a new runner such as myself.  Should I rest it more before consulting as I commonly did with my elbow and shoulder injuries?  I mainly use the treadmill, I have decent running shoes and to my knowledge, my running posture is correct.  I don't land on my heals.  I am in my mid 40s.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three possibilities come to mind.

Are you wearing good running shoes, made specifically for running? 

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/content/best-running-shoes/ 

You may may be experiencing an overuse injury. The rule of thumb is never to increase either mileage or distance by more than ten percent from one week to the next. And in that you are new to running I would suggest caution and perhaps less than that.

You may also be pushing too hard and/or too fast too soon. Longer slower stuff on a number of the days, faster, more intense but much shorter intervals on other days, and rest and stretching in between.

If your pain goes away when you run, you are probably okay to continue. If it continues to hurt or get worse, stop and heal.

buy nike air shoes if they work for you . second. find a beach that is flat. run on that. third never run more than 30 min. at a time. preferably 23 min.  u can still get your heart rate up in tht time period. running for an hour is too much.  finaly never ever run on concrete ever.   focus on scooting.  like  a cross country skier. swing arms hard. u want to slide and scoot ........not pound downwards...........how about swimming?

buy nike air shoes if they work for you . second. find a beach that is flat. run on that. third never run more than 30 min. at a time. preferably 23 min.  u can still get your heart rate up in tht time period. running for an hour is too much.  finaly never ever run on concrete ever.   focus on scooting.  like  a cross country skier. swing arms hard. u want to slide and scoot ........not pound downwards...........how about swimming?

If one slowly builds up to it one can run for hours at a time and on any surface, and if hills are involved, that is even better. I have been running for over forty years and am currently running right at 27 miles per week over four days each week, with the other days involving long bike rides. Like most other things in life there are no absolutes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, SpokaneAl said:

If one slowly builds up to it one can run for hours at a time and on any surface. I have been running for over forty years and am currently running right at 27 miles per week over four days each week, with the other days involving long bike rides. Like most other things in life there are no absolutes.

disagree totally . u are blessed my friend. but go look around how many blokes are doing that. hardly any. the op says the pain comes after 25 minutes.  i run 23 minutes and i only run on sand beaches. although a good treadmill is decent too. Never run on concrete u are asking for injury. lucky you mr Spokane u are in minority that can get away with it.

6 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

Thanks,

Yes, I am doing swimming in between, and cycling seems to ease the pain a little.  Maybe the circular motion helps.  

disagree totally . u are blessed my friend. but go look around how many blokes are doing that. hardly any. the op says the pain comes after 25 minutes.  i run 23 minutes and i only run on sand beaches. although a good treadmill is decent too. Never run on concrete u are asking for injury. lucky you mr Spokane u are in minority that can get away with it.

There are thousands and thousands of us out there who have made running and endurance sports a key and important part of our lives. 23 minutes on a flat beach vs five or ten miles over rolling hills sounds like drudgery and pure exercise vs enjoying moving and getting fit and strong with fitness as a side benefit.

1 minute ago, BBJ said:

Thanks,

Yes, I am doing swimming in between, and cycling seems to ease the pain a little.  Maybe the circular motion helps.  

i would seriously layoff the running for awhile. do anything else.. i know its addictive. but these injurys if not taken care of can get worse and take forever to heal. i do yoga. and snorkeling. i also when im in BKK have a kick scooter. 

1 minute ago, SpokaneAl said:

There are thousands and thousands of us out there who have made running and endurance sports a key and important part of our lives. 23 minutes on a flat beach vs five or ten miles over rolling hills sounds like drudgery and pure exercise vs enjoying moving and getting fit and strong with fitness as a side benefit.

Spokane al im not criticizing u . u are blessed to able to do this. many cannot though. i have gotten spinal degeneration from activities you are suggesting. my suggestion is to take it easy.  look at any triathlete from the hey dey in 80s. theyre bodys are all worn  out  ,,,,,,,,,,,im in this for the long haul

1 minute ago, SpokaneAl said:

My friend who got me into jogging runs like you with no issue.  He struggles with tennis funnily enough.  Guess it's what you're used to.  I also do hard adventure riding on my motorcycles which I can drop 2.5kg after 3 hours ride.  Different muscles getting used.  I suppose it is the constant impact that has done me.

2 minutes ago, BBJ said:

My foot definitely gives up before my energy levels. I guess different muscles and all as I could play competitive tennis up until recently for 2 plus hours with no issue.

we all get older. have u ever thought about taking up ashtanga yoga? their are some good teachers here in Thailand. cross train

Spokane al im not criticizing u . u are blessed to able to do this. many cannot though. i have gotten spinal degeneration from activities you are suggesting. my suggestion is to take it easy.  look at any triathlete from the hey dey in 80s. theyre bodys are all worn  out  ,,,,,,,,,,,im in this for the long haul

I do appreciate your comments and understand that many cannot do this. It is too early to tell with the OP - I think he did too much too soon and now needs to heal before attempting to go again.

P.S. I am one of those triathletes from the 80s.

Be well.

Just now, BBJ said:

My friend who got me into jogging runs like you with no issue.  He struggles with tennis funnily enough.  Guess it's what you're used to.  I also do hard adventure riding on my motorcycles which I can drop 2.5kg after 3 hours ride.  Different muscles getting used.  I suppose it is the constant impact that has done me.

exactly i have two enduro bikes . ktm 690 and husky te 610........im 56. at some point the body wears out . thier are a few like Spokaneal that can get away with this long term. but why beat yourself up?  once a person is in shape it dont take much to stay in shape. hours on end on pavement is abuse . 

Just some things to consider based on my own experience ....

Running on concrete causes foot pain for me - I swapped to Sketchers running shoes with the extra midsole cushioning and this helped a bit, but when I changed to running on tarmac the foot pain went away completely.

Don't increase your distance too quick - I got foot and knee pain after I doubled my normal run, so I cycled for a couple of weeks to rest my feet and knees, and then dropped back to my usual run distance for a few weeks before increasing the distance in smaller stages.

Have a short run to warm up, stretch, then do your full run, then stretch after every run as well.

Just now, yogavnture said:

im heavily into cross training. running is great activity i do yoga. i have an expensive inflatable kayak i go out for daily snorkeling in private coves.  that is heaven not running on concrete on a highway. be smart

As yet, I haven't touched concrete as I use the gym where I live.  If I can't be bothered to go I run on the spot.

2 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Yes, I meant to go yesterday but didn't get round to it.  I'll probably shoot there tonight after picking my daughter up from school.

keep trying different therapists. u will find one u like over time. then stay with her for ever............she will know your body like a book

There is a sports injury massage place at the Panya tennis club which was recommended when I did my shoulder.  Might give them ago.

I will go to the hospital for an x-ray as my mate who is a long time jogger thinks I could have fractured my metatarsal. 

1 minute ago, BBJ said:

As yet, I haven't touched concrete as I use the gym where I live.  If I can't be bothered to go I run on the spot.

i have to tell you as a mid 50 year old man i hate gyms.  i know they are helpful but i do a daily self practice yoga. get a good massage which is really like exercise. but its true running is a magical cardio workout for sure.  i would get xray. and crazy enuf tiger balm i think works. it creates sensations that focus your mind towards healing of an area. thais swear by the stuff

Archived