Running Injury - Some advice before doctor.

BBJ

5 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I replace my shoes every four months, which equals to approximately 400 miles or so per pair. And you can’t really look at a pair of shoes to determine if they are worn, much of the wear is internal.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I believe the correct routine for road running is to have two pairs of shoes. You only use one pair for running, keeping one "new" pair unused. About once a month you run in the "unused" pair. As soon as you can feel a difference between the two you buy a new pair and repeat.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some very good advice here. I don’t think you can underestimate the need to go extremely slowly and build up over a very long period of time. I also used to have constant niggling injuries and I finally found a Physio that set me straight with an amazing program.

Even though my main sport is on court, I did 3 months of gradual build up of sports specific weights, to repair and condition muscles and build power and stationary bike program for base fitness. Then another 4 weeks of plyometrics and to convert that power into speed and running machine interval training - again gradually because this is when you are most prone to injury. Then I was then ready to get back on court. And I’m early 40’s - it’s hard to over ride your brain telling you everything is fine and push harder - because your body will clap out.

as mentioned, there are so many shoes out there and there will be a right one for you now (and the “right one” may change as you progress). Ones you have probably heard of for runners are ASICS (I used to have gel-nimbus, but have switched out to ON’s), mizuno, New Balance. Ones you may not have heard of are “ON” (https://www.on-running.com/) and Hoka One one (https://www.hokaoneone.com/)

pounding on the body is not good.. how can one argue with running on air?  nike is a nasty company now though. i wish thier patents would be taken off so other shoe companies could utilize air technology

Actually research is showing that the jarring of running is actually good for the joints over time. Cyclists and swimmers seem to face some later aged problems because they have not had that jarring over the years.

And every running shoe, unless one goes for the totally minimal shoe, has a degree of cushioning. Is cushioning via air vs. gel vs. foam better? It really depends on the runner, the running surface, the amount of running, etc etc.

As the late great running philosopher Dr. George Sheehan told us, each of us is an experiment of one.

how about cushioning shoes? i hear under armour is now making shoes. 

Again, everybody makes cushioned shoes. One of the more important parts of choosing a running shoes is to first determine the type of shoe that matches the foot of the runner.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/03/3-types-of-running-shoes-for-3-types-of-feet/

I believe the correct routine for road running is to have two pairs of shoes. You only use one pair for running, keeping one "new" pair unused. About once a month you run in the "unused" pair. As soon as you can feel a difference between the two you buy a new pair and repeat.

I spent probably a decade or two using two pairs of shoes, and rotating them between runs. Now a single pair works fine for me and causes no problems.

Of course I am no longer running marathon distances, and usually alternate between a run on one day and a solid bike ride on the other day at this point in my rapidly aging life.

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Again, everybody makes cushioned shoes. One of the more important parts of choosing a running shoes is to first determine the type of shoe that matches the foot of the runner.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/03/3-types-of-running-shoes-for-3-types-of-feet/

i agree but its still hard to argue walking on air. do u know how many patents nike has. its ubsurd 

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

I spent probably a decade or two using two pairs of shoes, and rotating them between runs. Now a single pair works fine for me and causes no problems.

Of course I am no longer running marathon distances, and usually alternate between a run on one day and a solid bike ride on the other day at this point in my rapidly aging life.

great u are getting your heart rate up. definitely for sure. what about the new info that says people that do this are hurting thier heart.  remember jim fixx

great u are getting your heart rate up. definitely for sure. what about the new info that says people that do this are hurting thier heart.  remember jim fixx

Your info is incomplete/incorrect.

Also, concerning Jim Fixx - from Wikipedia - His autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

He had, on several occasions, refused a checkup, which could have found the problems.

i agree but its still hard to argue walking on air. do u know how many patents nike has. its ubsurd 

Are your comments based on running experience or opinion?

Air cushioned shoes are merely one solution. Many prefer gel cushioned, and others prefer foam cushioned shoes. I have run in all and there are advantages and disadvantages for each. No single solution is overwhelmingly better.

I used to be an avid runner.  Don't run again until after you get an X-ray.  I have had multiple fractures in both of my feet over the years which I ignored and just kept running on them and even harder.  All of my fractures ended up healing wrong so now my feet are permanently damaged.  Be careful and don't make the same mistakes I did.  I used to push myself so hard for over 20 years thinking that my body would last forever.  I had to learn the hard way that it doesn't.  I used to feel invincible like nothing could hurt me.  I was wrong so take it easy.  These days I wake up every morning in severe pain especially in my back.  Although I sure do miss running I never fealt more free while going for a really long and fast run.  

12 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

That's exactly what I was going to say when it comes to shoes everyone's different.  It depends on your feet.  What really worked well for me was the Brook GTS.  It took me years to find the perfect she that worked best for me.  I also wore New Balances for a while and a few others.  Like you said it depends on your feet.  You hit the nail right on the head I was about to write a similar reply then I saw that you already did.

I I bought the wrong type of shoes once when I was in Afghanistan and THEY TORE MY FEET UP!  While running around the airfield in Afghanistan in the morning.  I finally ordered the right shoes online.  

3 hours ago, Issanjohn said:

That's exactly what I was going to say when it comes to shoes everyone's different.  It depends on your feet.  What really worked well for me was the Brook GTS.  It took me years to find the perfect she that worked best for me.  I also wore New Balances for a while and a few others.  Like you said it depends on your feet.  You hit the nail right on the head I was about to write a similar reply then I saw that you already did.

I I bought the wrong type of shoes once when I was in Afghanistan and THEY TORE MY FEET UP!  While running around the airfield in Afghanistan in the morning.  I finally ordered the right shoes online.  

im not saying nike is best of course each brand the last of the shoe is difffeent ...........what i am saying if u look into air technologgy. is that air is the best hands down. would u want to walk on gel or air.? no brainer. i think nikes air patents should be dismantled. its about getting product to consumers. not lining nikes pockets

6 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

Your info is incomplete/incorrect.

Also, concerning Jim Fixx - from Wikipedia - His autopsy revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

He had, on several occasions, refused a checkup, which could have found the problems.

thier is some evidence that people that work thier heart alot over time might be enlarging it or something like that . and it might be damaging to the person? i do know that i have low blood pressure due to alot of sports over the years.hellif i know if thats good or bad. but cant u over do anything.  u know running can become an addiction right?

4 hours ago, Issanjohn said:

I used to be an avid runner.  Don't run again until after you get an X-ray.  I have had multiple fractures in both of my feet over the years which I ignored and just kept running on them and even harder.  All of my fractures ended up healing wrong so now my feet are permanently damaged.  Be careful and don't make the same mistakes I did.  I used to push myself so hard for over 20 years thinking that my body would last forever.  I had to learn the hard way that it doesn't.  I used to feel invincible like nothing could hurt me.  I was wrong so take it easy.  These days I wake up every morning in severe pain especially in my back.  Although I sure do miss running I never fealt more free while going for a really long and fast run.  

dosent mean u cant take up swimming. a coyote is in all 50 states in usa because of its ability to adapt to conditions.  just because a person cant run anymore dont mean life is over

On 2/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Give it all up; strenuous exercise after the age of forty is proven to be seriously deleterious to health, especially if you are an ex-athletic type. Sink into middle age gracefully, drink a few beers,

You should come to the Hash and tell all the fifty, sixty and seventy years old guys this. They will laugh and tell you to get a life. OK the older guys over 70 do alternate run/walk on very hot days but... Even the 80 year-old can be seen jogging on occasions.

They will also tell you that one of the reasons they are relatively healthy at their age is because they still  run/walk/exercise on a regular basis.  

One of the advantages of still running is that when older and one gets the odd ache or pain it is irrelevant as one has become accustomed to them. 

You are clearly running more than your body can handle, at least for now. You should listen to what your body is telling you. Good quality shoes with great cushioning is important. Do not skimp on shoes, you are not a youngster any more. Research which ones have the best structure for running. I personally like Asics, and not the cheap ones. Your feet are taking a pounding. Only wear them when you run so you don't unnecessarily break down their structure. Replace as necessary. 

I've gotten good tips from fellow gym members. When I would turn around while running I would get a snapping and clicking in my knee. A guy at the gym should me an exercise that stopped this.

I would not go to a doctor. I would go to a physical therapist or a sports doctor. A regular doctor has little , if any , training in sports injuries. Get recommendations. I've gotten good ones from fellow gym members.

It sounds like you are interested in losing weight. Interval running is best for this. Walk and periodically run. Also easier on your feet.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You should come to the Hash and tell all the fifty, sixty and seventy years old guys this. They will laugh and tell you to get a life. OK the older guys over 70 do alternate run/walk on very hot days but... Even the 80 year-old can be seen jogging on occasions.

They will also tell you that one of the reasons they are relatively healthy at their age is because they still  run/walk/exercise on a regular basis.  

One of the advantages of still running is that when older and one gets the odd ache or pain it is irrelevant as one has become accustomed to them. 

I'm sorry you did not detect the irony in my post; I will make it a little less subtle in future.

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

You are clearly running more than your body can handle, at least for now. You should listen to what your body is telling you. Good quality shoes with great cushioning is important. Do not skimp on shoes, you are not a youngster any more. Research which ones have the best structure for running. I personally like Asics, and not the cheap ones. Your feet are taking a pounding. Only wear them when you run so you don't unnecessarily break down their structure. Replace as necessary. 

I've gotten good tips from fellow gym members. When I would turn around while running I would get a snapping and clicking in my knee. A guy at the gym should me an exercise that stopped this.

I would not go to a doctor. I would go to a physical therapist or a sports doctor. A regular doctor has little , if any , training in sports injuries. Get recommendations. I've gotten good ones from fellow gym members.

It sounds like you are interested in losing weight. Interval running is best for this. Walk and periodically run. Also easier on your feet.

yes only wear the shoes when u run and i wear an arch support. but thats just me. if u wantto totally all out. get a custom foot bed.

At the risk of repeating myself, your comments about air cushioning being the best are absolutely not true. Even Nike is moving away from air cushioning as research and development is generating more and better cushioning solutions. Less than half of Nike’s current higher end running shoes are air soles. Air cushioned soles are rapidly becoming old news and outdated technology. Those shoes tend to be a bit on the heavy side and air cushioning is often a bit unstable.

If max cushioning is your goal, I suggest you try Hoka running shoes. For many of us, max cushioning is not the best solution - too much lost energy with each step.

22 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

At the risk of repeating myself, your comments about air cushioning being the best are absolutely not true. Even Nike is moving away from air cushioning as research and development is generating more and better cushioning solutions. Less than half of Nike’s current higher end running shoes are air soles. Air cushioned soles are rapidly becoming old news and outdated technology. Those shoes tend to be a bit on the heavy side and air cushioning is often a bit unstable.

If max cushioning is your goal, I suggest you try Hoka running shoes. For many of us, max cushioning is not the best solution - too much lost energy with each step.

i guess we will see at the end of our lives whos skeletal system is intact...........now its true a persons weight has someting to do with this. protect your body at all costs.  ok whats better than walking on air. im listening

On 2/20/2018 at 12:04 PM, yogavnture said:

how often do u replace shoes

This is my first pair of proper running shoes which have been sat in their box for 2 years!  

First time I have used them as it is the first time I have jogged.   

I will be Shopping for a crosstrainer this weekend as the home gym doesn’t have one.  Looking at Domyos and i’ll see what sports world have. Will look at a new pair if shoes too.

4 hours ago, BBJ said:

This is my first pair of proper running shoes which have been sat in their box for 2 years!  

First time I have used them as it is the first time I have jogged.   

I will be Shopping for a crosstrainer this weekend as the home gym doesn’t have one.  Looking at Domyos and i’ll see what sports world have. Will look at a new pair if shoes too.

im confused . u said u were doing long runs. and u were not using proper shoes?  i have used shoes that have sat in box longer than that. shouldn't be an issue. the issue is u were running before with out proper running shoes/?  i sounds like u are buying a cross trainer machine/?           shoe brands are personal preference.  but if u gonna run get the best pair u can find.  maybe thier is a shop in BKK that sells most major brands and u can try out. im a nike lover. with full air cushioning but spokane al is not. everybody does their own thing

When you get back to running again, with the right shoes of course, you may want to consider doing your runs with walking intervals mixed in. I have a 75 year old friend who does a marathon every year and does a 10/2 mix - ten minutes of running followed by two minutes of walking - with great success. Others have a mix of 3/1 or thereabouts.

This method seems to allow those of us who are more seasoned in life to continue on with this great sport.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, SpokaneAl said:

When you get back to running again, with the right shoes of course, you may want to consider doing your runs with walking intervals mixed in. I have a 75 year old friend who does a marathon every year and does a 10/2 mix - ten minutes of running followed by two minutes of walking - with great success. Others have a mix of 3/1 or thereabouts.

This method seems to allow those of us who are more seasoned in life continue on with this great sport.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

please tell him to slow down a bit. :shock1:

Archived