UK - Can I 'back-pay' more than 6 years of NI?

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

once you have your NI number you will be told how many years you can pay and which ones. It is almost always best to pay as soon as possible because the rate goes up if you don't.

also it is the best value for money you will ever find as the recovery time for any years you make up is just less than 4 years, of course if you die less than 4 years after you start collecting your pension you lose, but you're dead and don't care.:post-4641-1156694572:

A LOT of my pals have died before reaching 70. It ain't that good a bet.

I'm gonna wait until I'm 65, then see how I feel.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

9 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I'm not convinced you know what you are talking about.

Do you have a 'gateway account'?

Because if you don't, I'm gonna call BS.

My possession, or not, of a gateway account is irrelevant.

I can read so maybe you should do just that before giving incorrect advice, go to : HMRC new pension, how it's calculated 

IMG_3364.PNG.b03fc0f6bc2d5a97081a9591c94993ad.PNG

Edited by sometimewoodworker
I will have nowhere near 35 years. I started work at age 26 after post-grad, left the UK about 17 years later, but in those 17 years I worked in a variety of employed and limited Co roles (I was a satcomms contract design guy). I simply can't remember how many years of NI were paid, but no doubt this will become clear when I apply for a pension statement.

In any case, backpaying NI and paying from now until my retirement date might get me about 15 years or something in NI contributions, which will go a long way towards my meagre alcohol expenditure each month.
Register online you can see all your NI Contributions. If you paid NI as a Ltd company contractor (ie employee of you own Ltd company) that will also show. ..

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

should you not have 17 years then, you would have paid class 1 for both jobs

Maybe not, because I'm not sure that I paid NI for some of those years (I recall working 'tax-free' as a satellite design engineer for Alcatel in Belgium for 3 years, until the company was 'raided' by the Belgian tax authorities and all contractors grilled as to where their offshore bank accounts were.

I was the only contractor not to 'crack' in the interview - I just played stupid, which wasn't difficult :)

Get paid NI while studying at university? Are you sure?

My first step is to apply by post for a reminder of my NI number, because I lost it yonks ago and have no paperwork with this number. But I have to wait to fly from Myanmar to Bangkok to post off the letter (inbound and outbound post to/from Myanmar disappears into a large black hole.....)
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Get paid NI while studying at university? Are you sure?

Yes, I did.  Your UNI would have given your NINO to DWP (or whatever it was called back then) it was so that people weren't put off studying for financial reasons - back when you needed a LOT of years for a pension.

These days?  Don't know, never needed to look it up.

Edited by DefaultName
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No the new pension requires 35 years 

Sorry you are correct, I keep thinking this as they told me i could provide another 6 years contributions to increase my pension  even though i was contracted out (although haven't  they indicated they may increase it again )

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You either will get a pension under the new system, in which case to get the full pension you need 35 years. Or you get a pension under the old system in which case you only need 30 years for the full pension. 

This is ignoring contracted out years as you should be getting a pension from another source so that is why you contradicted out in the first place.

nobody ever has a combination old and new pension.

Under the transition arrangements, the pension system used will be determined by whichever gives the greater amount.

• Like 1

After reading this thread this morning, I have been trying to check my details at the gateway account but after answering the security questions, I keep getting the message: 

There’s a technical problem

This online service is experiencing technical difficulties.

Please try again in 5 minutes.

I tried several times last year and got the same response! 

Your UNI would have given your NINO to DWP (or whatever it was called back then) it was so that people weren't put off studying for financial reasons - back when you needed a LOT of years for a pension.

Well, I never heard of this before. Good news if it's true because I studied in higher education (HNC, HND, BSc and MSc for a total of 7 years with no breaks between courses)

@JungleBiker - maybe try with a different browser. (Sometimes government websites are fussy about which browser you use) Edited by simon43
5 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Under the transition arrangements, the pension system used will be determined by whichever gives the greater amount.

You are misunderstanding what is there. If you reached pension age before April 6 2016 you receive or will receive a pension under the old system.

if you reached, or will reach, pension age on or after April 6 2016 you will be paid under the new system.

There is no mixing of the 2 systems. To repeat nobody is ever paid under both systems.

you are getting confused by the amounts that will/can be paid under the new system. You will get paid more than the basic amount under the new system if you would have received some significant amount over the basic under the old system. You would have had to qualify for a pension of over 159.55 per week, if you did the the amount in excess of that will be paid as a 'protected payment’ under the new system.

The amounts paid will vary depending on your own contributions 

3 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Thanks Simon, I will try another browser. 

I also didn't know about the uni thing and hope it's true. 

it was not just universities, it used to be full time education over 18 years old. It looks as if this has now been limited to 1 year

Slightly off topic but I am reading these posts wondering if everyone knows that once you get your UK pension and you are living in Thailand it is frozen at the rate of the first payment. The government has a discriminatory policy to expats pension entitlement in many overseas countries including Australia and Canada and it includes Thailand. Of course that’s if they know Your here. There are plenty of groups fighting to get this overturned but this has been the same for over 30 years so if you retired abroad 30 years ago at £17 a week at age 95 Your still getting £17 a week. Search group “ British state pensioners world wide” or “Pension reform group”on Facebook for more information and to keep in the loop of what’s happening on this.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Dene16 said:

The latest requirement under the new scheme requires 36 years of NI contributions. Anyone under the old scheme can continue to contribute to gain the larger payment of £150/160 per week ( even if you were contracted out )

Yes, I acknowledged that it is 35 years with the new state pension.

1 hour ago, chezy86 said:

Slightly off topic but I am reading these posts wondering if everyone knows that once you get your UK pension and you are living in Thailand it is frozen at the rate of the first payment. The government has a discriminatory policy to expats pension entitlement in many overseas countries including Australia and Canada and it includes Thailand. Of course that’s if they know Your here. There are plenty of groups fighting to get this overturned but this has been the same for over 30 years so if you retired abroad 30 years ago at £17 a week at age 95 Your still getting £17 a week. Search group “ British state pensioners world wide” or “Pension reform group”on Facebook for more information and to keep in the loop of what’s happening on this.

Why would you tell them?

If anyone asks, I live in the Philippines (and holiday in Thailand).