Construction worker impaled on rebar at Bangkok condo project

webfact

Construction worker impaled on rebar at Bangkok condo project

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News showed pictures of a Loei man who slipped and fell on a rebar at a Ding Daeng construction site.

The rebar had entered through Sathian Somasri's back and exited around his throat area.

The accident happened after the worker slipped and fell while working at an underground area of the Maestro 19 project in Viphavadee

Rangsit Soi 16.

Workers cut him free before Por Teck Tung medics arrived and the forty year old was ferried to Pra Monkhut Klao Hospital for surgery.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-21

In the park where I take the dogs each morning they decided to build a pavillion or something. So they dug 4 holes about 2mts square and 2mts deep for footings for foundation.

These open holes were left for a few days with no markings or barrier or any sort of cover to stop people or animals from falling into them, and being on grass they werte practically invisible untill you were right on top of them.

After a some days they filled the holes half way with concrete with rebars sticking out the top. Again with no markings or barrier or any sort of cover to stop people or animals from falling in and getting impaled on the rebars.

This was in a pubic park with people and kids and dogs running arround any of which could have fallen into one of the open holes. :shock1:

Every morning while taking the dogs I would check each hole just make sure nothing had fallen in and been impailed on the rebars.

Luckily there were no accidents and the pavillion has since been compleated but thinking of what might have happend still worries me. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Never seen rebar caps ever in Thailand.

too expensive!! and surprised that construction didn't use bamboo and banana leaves where ever possible

why do Punji Sticks keep flashing in me head?   

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

My favourite has to be the time I saw 2 Thai workers, 30 foot off the ground; balancing precariously on a 1 inch metal beam, whilst trying to one-handedly hang one of those 'Safety First' banners you now see on construction sites.

You couldn't make this stuff up. 

coincidentally 1 inch ReBars by any chance?

well hey! they'd be mighty 'grippy'

and as a lateral thinking bonus, they could bounce pretty high on them, in order to reach the banners a little bit higher

9 hours ago, Daffy D said:

In the park where I take the dogs each morning they decided to build a pavillion or something. So they dug 4 holes about 2mts square and 2mts deep for footings for foundation.

These open holes were left for a few days with no markings or barrier or any sort of cover to stop people or animals from falling into them, and being on grass they werte practically invisible untill you were right on top of them.

After a some days they filled the holes half way with concrete with rebars sticking out the top. Again with no markings or barrier or any sort of cover to stop people or animals from falling in and getting impaled on the rebars.

This was in a pubic park with people and kids and dogs running arround any of which could have fallen into one of the open holes. :shock1:

Every morning while taking the dogs I would check each hole just make sure nothing had fallen in and been impailed on the rebars.

Luckily there were no accidents and the pavillion has since been compleated but thinking of what might have happend still worries me. :sad:

I would not just check, I would do something to make people aware of the danger. 

Or maybe call the police or local government, something positive that could save a life. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thailand J said:

congratulations to the contractor who has saved a few dollars for not using rebar caps as we do In the US.

Only in the good ole U.S. of A. Just winding you up. :smile:

I would think that most western nations use the rebar caps. I know that the two 'nanny' (:violin:) states that I am a citizen of, use them.

Poor chap and hope he makes it !...One feels really sad when these poor construction workers, with no protection, no safety laws to protect them, poor wages, treated like livestok...get an accident...really very sad and unfair to see such things happening to the modest working classes on their jobs.

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Poor chap and hope he makes it !...One feels really sad when these poor construction workers, with no protection, no safety laws to protect them, poor wages, treated like livestok...get an accident...really very sad and unfair to see such things happening to the modest working classes on their jobs.

A caring Government would introduce and enforce legislation to mitigate these risks.

But TIT.

Hope he recovers soon and can return to work.