SINET INTERNET

gennisis

Sinet keep changing their signal The IP address does not conform with my address.

I use the internet for my TV with Pulse.

When I sign on often I cant,presumably because Sinet are switching the IP again

Whey  do Sinet keep doing this?

I thought the IP address was supposed to help tracking bad users

They had switched 36 times I am informed by Pulse on Monday

Edited by gennisis

What IP Address your device is issued depends on how the account is provisioned:

1. STATIC/FIXED IP Addresses are assigned or issued to the customer account. They are either hand-entered into the router setup, or assigned each time the router powers on and requests setup information from the ISP. This IP address will normally remain the same for the life of the billing contract, possibly only changing when a equipment service change occurs and they issue you a new Static/Fixed IP address to replace the existing. Static/Fixed IP are usually only issued on business-class accounts.

2. DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED IP Addresses are what most consumer customer accounts are issued. When a router is powered on (or reset) it will request setup info from the ISP who automatically issue it an IP Address from a 'pool' of available IP addresses reserved for customers. 

Both STATIC/FIXED and DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED IP Addresses are typically Internet-facing, and can work directly with peer-to-peer services that require direct connection to each other over the internet. Some services want you to 'declare' your current IP Address as part of their authentication process. If you have an IP Address that's Dynamically Assigned then you'll need to follow service setup options for that type of account. 

3. CGNAT assigned IP Addresses are very similar to Dynamically Assigned IP addresses, except the IP Addresses assigned are from a 'pool' of Reserved IP Addresses that are NOT directly connected to the Internet. They, instead, are routed to a Carrier Grade Network Address Translation server that 'shares' a single Internet-facing IP address among multiple ISP (or Mobile Internet) users.  All Internet traffic from these users appear to be coming from the same user -- sometimes causing issues and resulting in legitimate Internet traffic being blocked or misidentified as spam or bot traffic. Usually you'll know if your router is being assigned to CGNAT setup if your Router WAN address and "What's My IP Address" don't match. Typically, CGNAT client accounts will be assigned a WAN Addresses  in the Private/Reserved IP Address range of 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255

Many ISPs keep discrete and statistical logs of everything that flows over their network. If someone is being a 'bad user' they will have that instance recorded in their log files.

I'd guess your Si-net Cable / Fiber Internet account is Dynamic or CGNAT. So the upstream provisioning router will 'lease' your equipment an IP Address from the 'pool' of currently unused IP Addresses. When the 'lease' expires the upstream router will either reissue you the same IP address, or give you a different IP address.

Static/Fixed IP addresses are not the norm, and usually only reserved for business accounts that typically host their own equipment that need to be accessed from the Internet.

1 hour ago, gennisis said:

Thanks for the info...but ..it doesnt explain why they needed to change 36 times in a 24 hour day

They don't need to change it that many times a day  ...unless they're trying to annoy people who do peer-to-peer and take up massive available bandwidth. But then they'd to filtering and traffic shaping for that.

Call and ask. My guess is someone changed something on their end and the DHCP Lease Time was accidentally set way too short, or something is causing constant line resets.