Video: Young Thai woman straddles dying man on stretcher in desperate attempt to save a life

rooster59

It is very sad to see some of the postings, as well as the banner headline.

A 1st responder should / does everything possible to preserve human life.

I pray to my God that this lady is around to try and save my life when / if needed.  Her actions are of the highest caliber, and she pushed the meaning of 1st responder to the limit.

This young lady IS a hero in my book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Well done to the young lady, maybe other can learn from her heroism, you would think the ambulance crew would have conducted this as soon as they got the deceased outside, as opposed to just throwing him on the stretcher if that was the case, as we don't have any footage prior to the young lady straddling him, will all due respect to the ambulance crew.

RIP

Ambulance crews here are hit and miss. Not all are properly trained unfortunately 

3 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

How could anyone take away from that scenario, anything other than a good person trying to save a dying man's life? Kudos to Nong Jaen!

Amen to that. Thank God for the beautiful hearts that live among us.  It inspires me to do more and to quiet any cynicism that occasionally surfaces. 

Magnificent effort.  Shame it turned out to be in vane.  I suspect if he'd made it through they would have been partners in life for life, or at least best friends forever.

It's good to know that someone that is a complete stranger is prepared to jump in to help the best way they know how.

Kind of a happy-sad story.

Never seen someone straddle to perform compressions....

proper body position is always to the side of the victim for leverage...

and if the stretcher is truly moving then that means the transporters are not working together as a team on what the priorities are in rendering care...

this case should be reviewed by emergency aid in the field state protocol...

Not one poster questioned are they following proper protocol?

and reprimanded if found in violation...

Competency in medicine ; effort in sports....

Edited by cardinalblue

CPR is used to try to bring a person who is →dead← back to the world of the living, something rarely stated about CPR.

As a former 1st Responder for BOTH Hazmat and Life Support and a former CPR Instructor, the lady did everything necessary and proper to effect live saving given the bad circumstances she was facing, a victim being moved.

It ""looks"" to me like her hands are in the proper position, and she  is using her upper body weight properly to get the necessary depth of compression. Normally the position is to the side, agreed.

Again I say, I hope she is the 1st responder if I ever need help.

• Like 2

Once in the ambulance .....she stopped ? nobody took over ? the mashine was not connected yet and the oxigen -bottles were not connected ........and so ......you die......

She innitialy did good ,but nobody followed up her efforts ( because they are untrained )

Verry sad ......no happy ending here .

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I applaud the lady for her efforts.    Too bad they weren't successful.

I wonder, however,  if CPR is less effective without the mouth to mouth part and forcing air into the lungs?

EDIT:  Oops!  I see this had already been answered.

The latest CPR guidance say to concentrate on pumping the heart to move blood around since it is oxygenated, and mouth to mouth is less important than getting the blood to circulate.  
(don't be scared of cracking a rib.  If they live they'll thank you for it).

I would imagine that ideally it would be a 2 person job and they would  alternate as it's a demanding task to keep doing all the way to the hospital.

Also I've read that if you feel like you're going into a heart attack then to cough violently and forcefully at a similar rate to CPR (maybe 100 times a minute?) to stimulate the diaphragm until you can get assistance.  In the situation of a fire though, that might not be appropriate. 

Edited by Shiver

This young lady and the Rescue Service involved should be commended for their actions, although  futile.  From my experience, the outcome of this type of scenario is not reversible in the field without ACLS protocols, but even then only slightly.  Also, having been exposed to smoke from a fire impacts the patient's treatment success. In the video, it appears the Rescue team provided proper BCLS care to the patient. They had a cardiac monitor/defibrillator connected. Oxygen was being administered by AMBU bag for rescue breathing and CPR was being performed "correctly". The final step is rapid transport. 

It is apparent that some posters know very little about pre-hospital EMS protocol. Some have questioned the actions of this young lady and her fellow crew member in treating this patient.  There are some that questioned her use of the proper technique in performing CPR or Why didn't they do this or that?.  Most posters expertise consists of what they Googled after they viewed this article or what they saw depicted in TV or the movies.  

Lastly, let me not leave out the posters that can take this real-life experience and through sexual innuendo show how immature they actually are. These are real men not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Pity no one helped her, she tried valiantly, great effort young lady. I wonder if the ambulance persons understand CPR; 2 breaths into the mouth after 15 chest pumps?

Right. It seems she did not even speak with the first responders or checked the condition of the patient. For me it looked more like blind action-taking, maybe even acting in front of that camera. Or maybe she even killed that man.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

Right. It seems she did not even speak with the first responders or checked the condition of the patient. For me it looked more like blind action-taking, maybe even acting in front of that camera. Or maybe she even killed that man.

You need to read paragraph #2 of post #55. 

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I applaud the lady for her efforts.    Too bad they weren't successful.

I wonder, however,  if CPR is less effective without the mouth to mouth part and forcing air into the lungs?

exact, mouth to mouth is a complement of external cardiac massage