Linux For Internet Terminal

uk_falang

Hi

I posted an earlier thread about win XP license

I am putting a single computer in my restaurant for use by my customers

I could try linux s dont pay for license. Which brand of linux is good and easy for linux newbie to install?

I want to use sierrawireless.com aircard as the adsl is useless where i live

can i order this linux online as the local computer shops do not have linux software for sale

?)

I want to install the OS, Firefox. antivirus and antispyware (which brand

Help appreciated

//Moved to Linux forum.

One of the easiest is Ubuntu, thread here > http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85283

For a full featured distribution Suse is very good. This can be downloaded from the Internet and burn a CD/DVD so no need to pay. Open Suse or OpenSuse.org

One of the advantages of Linux is that you really don't need anti-virus/anti-spyware for it. Firefox will come with the distribution and OpenOffice for substitute for MS Office.

Ubuntu certainly comes with all the bits and pieces you need for a basic working machine.

However I was not impressed with the speed when I connected to the Internet,

Windows is much faster.

I never did find out why.

• 2 weeks later...
Ubuntu certainly comes with all the bits and pieces you need for a basic working machine.

However I was not impressed with the speed when I connected to the Internet,

Windows is much faster.

I never did find out why.

I can tell you why from my experience in Korea. Many modems use UpnP(plug and play) protocol

if u are connecting via pppoe. If you need to supply a username and password to the

internet you are probably using pppoe.

Unfortunately Ubuntu has this only as an add-on (your milage may vary)

and without it a speed decrease will be noticeable and some apps may think you are firewalled.

Solution: If possible use an Internet provider that provides a static IP or an ADSL direct connection

to the internet with no username needed. There will be no problem after that.

My best guess anyway as to why your internet was slow

• 2 weeks later...
I want to install the OS, Firefox. antivirus and antispyware

One of the premises for using Linux is that you do not need to worry or concern yourself with antivirus and antispyware applications.

For linux, I use Fedora Core (which is based on RedHat). I think version 6 is now available.

Someone mentioned PPPOE... whatever. If this is indeed the protocol used, then a router/hub should be configured for this. I have set up a Wi-Fi linksys router with this protocol, and it works just fine. As for the linux machine, it would need to be setup for regular TCP and to use DHCP.

Another issue that has plagued some Linux distributions is having IPv6 enabled by default. With the right set of unfortunate conditions, it can waste a lot of time trying to resolve DNS names via the IPv6 version of DNS, before finally falling back to IPv4.

Note, this wouldn't seem like "Windows is faster" but more like "Linux isn't working at all" because the delay in resolving new web servers would be astronomical!

I don't know Ubuntu but in recent Fedora Core installers, I believe enabling or disabling IPv6 has become an option you could clearly control during the network setup interaction. Anybody who doesn't know what it means can probably safely disable it and enjoy fewer problems as a result.

Also, regarding the antivirus and antispyware... the invulnerability of Linux will remain true only until people start bringing their promiscuous ways with them from the Windows world. :o Just look at this thread, where a neophyte is encouraged to cut and paste a "sudo" command and then imagine if people had bad intentions...

• 3 months later...
Hi

I posted an earlier thread about win XP license

I am putting a single computer in my restaurant for use by my customers

I could try linux s dont pay for license. Which brand of linux is good and easy for linux newbie to install?

I want to use sierrawireless.com aircard as the adsl is useless where i live

can i order this linux online as the local computer shops do not have linux software for sale

?)

I want to install the OS, Firefox. antivirus and antispyware (which brand

Help appreciated

The quickest, easiest, a no geek version with full office tools (word excel etc) internet tools (email, web browser) and so much more is PClinixOS 2007 which you can downlod at http://www.pclinuxos.com/ for free of course.

It takes about 35 minutes to install on most boxes and assuming you put your correct details into the system (LAN / USER) it works straight out of the box with everything.

The thing that impressed the most about this distrbution is how simple and easy it is for anyone to (1) install (2) set up (3) use