Miquel's (mexican) California Cafe

Ulysses G.

California Miguel's as expanded its menu as well as seating options. I ate there today and to me it feels like it is much more professionally run than when the original owner was there.

Has the food changed? Yes, for the better.

New menu items incldue BBQ sandwiches and stuffed hot subs. There's also a 'hot apple burrito' (dessert) on the menu, don't think it was there originally but perhaps it was.

Glad to hear they'll make tacos with the (correct) corn tortilla, will have to ask next time.

I've eaten at Roosevelt's Tamale Parlor. Not bad ... for California. :o Nothing like good Mexican fare in Mexico but very popular with SF gringos. There were other places in the Mission more preferred by local Mexican families and by myself, one in particular whose name now escapes me but it was primarily a taco place.

Tamales in Mexico are most often sold by street vendors. They're eaten with regular salsa fresca, served on the side as at California Miguel's. In some parts of northern Mexico the pig-ear tamal is popular, in northern Baja I've enjoyed olive and corn tamales.

I agree Roosevelts tamales are not authentic. Never saw a tamale the size of an American football in Mexico (OK, that is a bit exaggerated but they sure are gigantic). I think you are right that they have real gringo appeal though. They get a mixed crowd as they are smack in the middle of a Latino barrio, but I have noticed the Latinos usually order other things than tamales there. You can't get a decent California style burrito in Mexico either ...

Time to visit Chiang Mai again.

Edited by Jingthing

I can confirm that the Mex food at California (or whatever it's called) is v good. To get there you would come out of Spicy (oh ######, did I say 'Spicy' -- never heard of the place), turn right and walk about 100 yards or so and it would be on the same side of the street. A guy I know from Phoenix (AZ) was there a couple of weeks back and said the food was as good as anything he can get at home. I wish the seating was a bit more comfortable though; and serving Margaritas (even if they're good) in standard glasses is really not on. Just buy some cocktail glasses for goodness sake. And have a menu printed. How much does that cost?

The main menu is over the counter, where you order your food and pay. They also have tri-fold menus that you can take with you.

I prefer drinking margaritas out of a normal rock glass, just like in non-tourist restos in Mexican border towns. Best margs in town ... :o