Arsenal

MiG16

Haw was Iwobi Chic? I was guiding a small rabble around the back street Thai bars and karaokes of Ubon - not the sort of places to show football matches. drunk.gif

Fairly decent performance; although he seemed a bit unsure of himself at times, his workrate was second to none.

Better was Jeff finally getting a run out albeit short; looks very composed.

A lovely little snippet from 1989 to get you in the mood for tonight's game ....

"The Gunners sprayed the best part of 200 bottles of Champagne – kindly donated to them by Liverpool – and drank the rest. “By the time ITV came in the dressing room to interview me, I was drunk,” says Smith. “When I joined up with England a couple of days later, the doctor had to give me an injection in my arse for alcoholic poisoning.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/best-ever-title-finish-arsenals-1989-triumph-over-liverpool-told-players#:iKyHrMJioO7kNA

^ The article states "Yet as Liverpool and Arsenal squared up in 1989, it was 47 years since an entire season had gone down to the final day between the two top teams when the Busby Babes beat Arsenal 6-1 at Old Trafford to claim their first title. It wasnt expected to conclude that way in 1952, and it certainly wasnt expected to play out that way in 1989".

I don't think that's correct. In 1968 City and ManU went in to the final game of the season level on points.

"Title decider at Newcastle

Going into the final match, City were level on points with neighbours Manchester United, with City holding the advantage in goal average the first decider if teams finished level on points but needing to win to be sure of staying above their cross-city rivals. Liverpool were three points behind, but had a game in hand, so could still win the title if both City and United faltered.[27] City faced tenth-placed Newcastle United at St James' Park; United were at home to bottom-half Sunderland. Bookmakers made United slight favourites for the title.[28]Mike Summerbee opened the scoring on 13 minutes, but Newcastle soon equalised.[29] Neil Young made it 21, but again Newcastle equalised. A second strike by Young was disallowed for offside, and at half-time the score was 2v2. Straight after half-time Young scored again, and Francis Lee scored a fourth on 63 minutes.[30] A late Newcastle goal set up a nervy finish, but City held on to win 4v3 and secure the title.[30] The win was compounded by a 2v1 victory by Sunderland over Manchester United, giving City the title. Liverpool won one of their remaining games but lost the other, missing their chance to leapfrog United into second by one point." Should be easy to remember for the 442 journo as the Agueeeero Premiership win was similar to '68.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Great I came on here intending to write that if Arsene doesn't strengthen midfield with Co's continued absence we will carry on leaking points and trophies. Liverpool played extremely well and the points differential was made a mockery of. We never controlled midfield and will not with Ramsey who is more interested in scoring supporting a better than expected but still only average Flam. I thought we were lucky to get our noses in front based on excellent conversion of half chances. A Liverpool win would not have been grossly unfair, so happy with the point.

• Like 1

It was good to watch the game last night from the comfort of an English pub surrounded by (solely) Arsenal fans with a nice pint of Sharps Doombar to hand. Apparently the town is rabid Arsenal or Spurs. A howl went up when I suggested that what we need now is a Spurs equaliser!

Cambridge. I use my sisters house in central Cambridge as my UK accommodation address and base when I come for (now only bi - annual visits). Crazy time of year to come - spent the first half hour in my Heathrow hotel in serious shivering mode while the room heating cranked itself up from 15 to 25.

Here to get some expert analysis on a lung condition that you just don't get anywhere in Thailand and to sort out shipping personal effects that have been languishing in expensive storage, plus the usual family and friends stuff. I usually watch football in a King Street Cambridge pub as it's walkable. No way was I walking that night so drove to a small village on northern edge of town and watched it the Lion & Lamb in Milton.

Missing the ability to watch replays at will - would have loved to dip into the Citeh and Spurs games. Local fans were incredulous that we can watch all matches live and then constant replays for less than forty quid a month (or in my case free following the local Sisaket dealer having been canned by CTH in response to which the dealer dumped the customer records into the River Mun in a f*** you revenge☺

Anyone know if one can download stream replays in the UK. V quick 5G here.

^Used to WORK in Cambridge for 3 years before I left for Asia. Still have several buddies who live and work there, support Norwich, so Norwich is my 2nd team this season - during my 3 years I went to Cambridge and Norwich quite a few times. Lovely town but a bit busy in the summer with all the foreign students who come over to learn English.

^Used to WORK in Cambridge for 3 years before I left for Asia. Still have several buddies who live and work there, support Norwich, so Norwich is my 2nd team this season - during my 3 years I went to Cambridge and Norwich quite a few times. Lovely town but a bit busy in the summer with all the foreign students who come over to learn English.

Cambridge got exeters ex striker corr there, dirty mf but scoring a few i see.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Little Shaq out with a hammy. Big plus for the Gunners.facepalm.gif

Doesn't make the trip to Mordor any easier.

Always a tough fixture for us.

Let's hope Arsenal don't wait 30 minutes to start playing like they did last time.

Can't forget how Little Shaq carved City up not long ago. Difference maker in that match up.

Our most influential players IMO are:

Cech

Kos

Bellerin

Coquelin

Ramsey

Cazorla

Ozil

Giroud

Sanchez

4 of those 9 were injured last night (and you could make a case that in Ozil, Sanchez and Coquelin you have the entire driving engine of Arsenal). Hanging on in there surprisingly well considering but need at least 2 of those 4 back PDQ if we are going to lift that prize.

I still have Arsenal to win the title.

However, I was disappointed that they did not show enough skill and guile to beat (a much improved/unrecognisable) Stoke City.

I know Stoke have turned over a number of top teams but the potential champions should be capable of getting 3 points anywhere.

Not a bad result, not a bad performance - but not sparking or dominating.

I still have Arsenal to win the title.

However, I was disappointed that they did not show enough skill and guile to beat (a much improved/unrecognisable) Stoke City.

I know Stoke have turned over a number of top teams but the potential champions should be capable of getting 3 points anywhere.

Not a bad result, not a bad performance - but not sparking or dominating.

At the moment Stoke are in 7th. They are far from a pushover in Mordor (ask both the Mancs).

That was a hard earned point, make no mistake.

There is a huge difference between potential and realised.

I deal with the club and press conference announcements on injury returns on a similar basis to journo reports on impending transfers Chic!

Lost count of the 'setback' announcements in recent years.

Let's hope so - Sanchez will take a couple of games to find pace but hopefully Ozil's absence was only an (uncharacteristic, but perhaps now learned) abundance of caution by the prof.