Arsenal

MiG16

Firstly he had to go if he wanted to go (contrast the Modric situation - it messed up last season for Spurs and is in danger of messing up this).

Secondly yes you would prefer to sell overseas. But there is a price. Juventus, Man C and Man U were the only bidders by all accounts. Juve seemed to be wanting him on the cheap - sub 18m. What's better for a manager under pressure, sell to a foreign team and have everyone ridiculing your negotiation skills or sell for a good price and give away potentially a few points. I'm happy with the decision to go for the money. The Reds on here were licking their lips at the prospect of picking him up on the cheap a few days ago - Wenger did a decent deal IMO.

Levy screwed up not selling to Chelsea!

fair enough. when you break it right down, and not all will agree with this, i think arsenal have come out of this alright. they've already signed three good players in podolski, giroud and cazorla - a very, very good one in cazorla actually - and now got more cash for van persie than they expected to. and when you really look into van persie's record at arsenal he's not actually been that amazing. six mediocre years followed by one alright one and one pretty amazing one last season. he's certainly not in thierry henry's bracket.

• Like 1

Spurs will be 6th with a chance of getting into the top 4 if they sort their attack out. They need more than Addie for that.

Can't see anyone else entering the top 6 fray, including Newcastle. I think there will be a bigger gap between the top 6 and the rest this year.

Everton are my tip for the club to bomb this season - might even get relegated (along with Norwich and Wham). I'm sure Sharecropper will be on here to chew me out if that doesn't happen!

Everton are my tip for the club to bomb this season - might even get relegated (along with Norwich and Wham). I'm sure Sharecropper will be on here to chew me out if that doesn't happen!

nah, there will be at least three worse teams than the tricky blues. i am though a bit surprised nobody has tried to get jelavic off them. good striker that one.

• Like 1

Wenger - I had no choice

Arsenal manager says Giroud and Podolski are in place to cover him

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger insists he had no choice but to agree to sell Robin van Persie to Manchester United.

The Old Trafford giants confirmed on Wednesday evening that they had agreed terms with Arsenalspacer.gif - understood to be £24million - for the Dutchman.

Van Persiespacer.gif is now set to travel to the North West to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms with United.

And Wenger insists he had no option but to sell van Persie because he had just a year left on his current deal and he had already refused to sign a new deal.

He is at Manchester United,spacer.gif unfortunately for us. The transfer was finalised in the afternoon," said Wenger whilst working for French TV station TF1 on Wednesday.

"It's never great to lose players of that quality but he only had a year contract so we do not have a choice."

Wenger then stated that he had already signed Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolskispacer.gif to cover for van Persie's departure.

We have already recruited since we Giroud and Podolski who originally were intended to offset the departure of van Persie," he concluded.

Source : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/7995288/Wenger-I-had-no-choice

Firstly he had to go if he wanted to go (contrast the Modric situation - it messed up last season for Spurs and is in danger of messing up this).

Secondly yes you would prefer to sell overseas. But there is a price. Juventus, Man C and Man U were the only bidders by all accounts. Juve seemed to be wanting him on the cheap - sub 18m. What's better for a manager under pressure, sell to a foreign team and have everyone ridiculing your negotiation skills or sell for a good price and give away potentially a few points. I'm happy with the decision to go for the money. The Reds on here were licking their lips at the prospect of picking him up on the cheap a few days ago - Wenger did a decent deal IMO.

fair enough. when you break it right down, and not all will agree with this, i think arsenal have come out of this alright. they've already signed three good players in podolski, giroud and cazorla - a very, very good one in cazorla actually - and now got more cash for van persie than they expected to. and when you really look into van persie's record at arsenal he's not actually been that amazing. six mediocre years followed by one alright one and one pretty amazing one last season. he's certainly not in thierry henry's bracket.

Think how good he will be with the constant better service he will recieve at United Stevie and try to disguise the jealousy mate biggrin.png

Model pro in my book an does not dive around and fall over all the time like some....i think he will also work well with Wellbeck's pace .....Rooney will be playing in all sorts of positions this season,take that for granted now!

Think how good he will be with the constant better service he will recieve at United Stevie and try to disguise the jealousy mate biggrin.png

Model pro in my book an does not dive around and fall over all the time like some....i think he will also work well with Wellbeck's pace .....Rooney will be playing in all sorts of positions this season,take that for granted now!

Is he shagging one of the Olympic athletes then mate?

A bit young aren't they....?

jealous? of what, mr ed?

interesting that you think you can play van persie, rooney and welbeck in the same team. who plays in midfield in that setup? no room for nani, valencia surely?

So with the constantly better service you think he will score more goals than last year? We will be watching!

I guess I can understand all the outpouring of grief from Gooners over the last 24 hours at the emotional level, but their anger seems misplaced to me. The number of first class players who have left in the last two years points in one direction only. Many trophyless years seems to have dulled the fans into passive acceptance of sub world class (my bleat for the last two years). Wenger and Gazidis may have got their strategy right as a medium term play, but they have never had the grace to explain it to the fans if ride-out-the-silly-money-era is their strategy. Wengers idea of communication is to wine about not wanting to pay silly money - no indication of where he thinks that is taking the club. Who can blame vanP jumping ship at the chance of working under a genuine football legend (before he hits his dotage).

Edit: despite all that, Im really looking forward to the new season. Can't wait to see that attacking line up with Podolski, Giroud, Walcott and Cazorla. The back four will be solid enough when Sagna returns. If we can get Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen (new Arsenal captain btw) and Gibbs playing consistently together and injury-free, that's going to be as good a back four as anyones.

Edited by SantiSuk

jealous? of what, mr ed?

interesting that you think you can play van persie, rooney and welbeck in the same team. who plays in midfield in that setup? no room for nani, valencia surely?

Ferguson won't play all three in the same team. Makes them strong upfront especially when you add the mexican, sweet pie into the equation

As has been said..We have...on paper!...replacements for Van Persie....time will tell.

I am more concerned that If the stories about Song and Barcelona are true,we dont have an equivilent replacement for him...true we have promising youngsters ,but not yet up to standard. Maybe Tiote from Newcastle??

Ferguson won't play all three in the same team. Makes them strong upfront especially when you add the mexican, sweet pie into the equation

i don't see hernandez hanging around to be honest. owen's gone, berbatov will also surely go. yeah they're strong up front. think kagawa's their key signing this summer to be honest.

• Like 1

jealous? of what, mr ed?

Strange you know, that a scouser and a yid know more about how man u are going to set up than a man u supporter 40.gif

• Like 1

As has been said..We have...on paper!...replacements for Van Persie....time will tell.

I am more concerned that If the stories about Song and Barcelona are true,we dont have an equivilent replacement for him...true we have promising youngsters ,but not yet up to standard. Maybe Tiote from Newcastle??

While the press rumours about Song continue to talk about 15 million quid I will continue to rest easy. Clearly a Barca plant, mate but they are leaving it way too late to be serious. If we hear that Barca are talking to Wenger then we can start to worry.

PS Arteta can play DFM and Frimpong could eventually be a good DFM, but I agree we would presumably need to buy.

Other rumours of unproven veracity - Arsenal looking at Hernandez (must be tosh - Sir has been on the telly this am lauding his 4-man strike force) and Berbatov. The same speculator/journo thinks Spuds also looking at Berbatov - North London cheapskates, the both of us, looking for a Tesco-basics 2 year cheap ride at 6mill.

Edited by SantiSuk

Strange you know, that a scouser and a yid know more about how man u are going to set up than a man u supporter 40.gif

no, not that strange really. wink.png

Maybe Stevie can apply for internal comms director at LP and pass along his wisdom to the Manager of the Day - worth a shot anyway. Couldn't hurt.

jealous? of what, mr ed?

Yes he will.....Rooney will be playing all over the place because he can biggrin.png

While the press rumours about Song continue to talk about 15 million quid I will continue to rest easy. Clearly a Barca plant, mate but they are leaving it way too late to be serious. If we hear that Barca are talking to Wenger then we can start to worry.

PS Arteta can play DFM and Frimpong could eventually be a good DFM, but I agree we would presumably need to buy.

Other rumours of unproven veracity - Arsenal looking at Hernandez (must be tosh - Sir has been on the telly this am lauding his 4-man strike force) and Berbatov. The same speculator/journo thinks Spuds also looking at Berbatov - North London cheapskates, the both of us, looking for a Tesco-basics 2 year cheap ride at 6mill.

OK - start worrying. Beeb reports that Wenger has confirmed that Song 'could' be leaving Arsenal. If he says could, that means 'will'. Having on the same day said that he 'had to let go of vP' I wonder what excuse he will come up with for Song's departure (4 years left on his contract). Why doesn't he come clean and say that a number of my senior players do not believe in me any more, so they have to go.

Jeez - this is really pi$$ing me off now.

Personally i reckon gettin 23 mil for a player when he 12 months away from leaving for nish is bloody good business iu paid 8 mil for the pair. what will you get in return 35 2 40?again bloody good business.

and lets be honest vp has only really stepped up to the plate and been injury free for what 18ths , football aint what it was and players move on, there arnt many kings or tony adams around and youve had him for 8 ish years, in todays money driven age thats really good going, same applies for Song, keeping a player for 6/7 years imo thats loyalty and shows wengers doing something right

Edited by rijit

The new Berbatov. biggrin.png

nah, he will score (sorry berba, all the skill in the world but strikers must score)

wasn't he golden boot season before last?

haha. shame on you carmine, showing up jamesy's mufc knowledge. or lack of.