Arsenal

MiG16

Two years ago Santi and i think if you look at the team at that time and your performances it could be true,but fair play on your sleuthing skills and i am happy to be proved wrong but at the time what i said is correct yes? what have you done! nada!

After the players that have left and the new recruits i think Wenger should be supported now for the future as he will prove your present feelings wrong i think.

I don't understand them either. I think we picked up these glory hunters when Wenger started winning things, and they have memories like mosquitoes with ADHD. They are in the minority, though.

Are they? Doesn't sound like it.

I don't understand them either. I think we picked up these glory hunters when Wenger started winning things, and they have memories like mosquitoes with ADHD. They are in the minority, though.

You obviously werent around Chicog for the exchange of postings last year about Wenger when the likes of Mr Red agreed they we only posting supportive comments about him because they hoped Arsenal stick with him (because that waty we keep losing to them!)

I dont mind being called a glory hunter - but there has been not one wiff of glory (more than a couple of seasons of pretty footbal that never seemd to quite go anywhere) since I started supporting them in earnest 5 years ago!

Maybe youll be right and Ill have to eat my words. I hope so for the clubs sake since blind loyalty of a substantial portion of the fan base seems to be consigning us to stick with him through thin and thinner.

Wenger's record is excellent, particularily in keeping Arsenal in the CL for fourteen consecutive seasons. Look at that revenue that this has pulled in! If my momory serves me there have been two or three very close calls since 2005 when you have scraped into the top four though, culminating to a situation this season where i'd venture to say its doubtful you will qualify.

At the end of the day though its all very well for fans to be calling for his head but who is there realistically to replace him that will do a better job with the tools available?

^

how about this then Carms and its a theory that's knocking around London at the moment that people think might actually happen.

Mourinho to exit Madrid at the end of the season and come to the EPL.

Wenger to go and Manage at R. Madrid or move upstairs and Michael Laudrup to come to the Arsenal and bring a few of his Swansea players with him.

^

how about this then Carms and its a theory that's knocking around London at the moment that people think might actually happen.

Wenger to go and Manage at R. Madrid or move upstairs and Michael Laudrup to come to the Arsenal and bring a few of his Swansea players with him.

Its interesting if nothing else.

However i thought that Wenger had plans to go into politics? Perhaps he'd do that and take a position upstairs at the Library.

Laudrup is a breath of fresh air. Its very early days for him and it would be a very big risk but maybe a risk worth taking. Either way i can't see him at Swansea next season unless he specifically wants to stay..

Wenger has been magnificent for Arsenal but even as an outsider its looking like a fresh start might be in order and thats not to say Wenger is finished just a time to offer something different. Along with the hallmarks of a potentially very good manager Laudrup carries huge gravitas from his playing days and always looks to have a very assured air about him

There is rarely an obvious choice of manager that everyone signs onto as being a fabulous replacement. Wenger himself was regarded as a huge gamble (and Sir Red Nose faced a tough half season. You are right Carmine - its more a case of us being in need of someone to move us on to the next generation. All successful businesses need to change their leaders (even the successful ones) every 10-15 years.

I would have liked Kroenke to have gone for Guardiola. Now it cant be him I would take Mourinho (yes seriously) but he not quite Arsenal style is he?biggrin.png No reason why we shouldn't shoot for the stars.

Maybe Laudrup would suit Arsenal's style. Personally I'd like to see Klopp (Dortmund).

Nice to see Rosicky back. Last season he was excellent. When Wenger says that it is not essential to have new players because we have adequate cover - which is the bit that really irritated me Chicog - either (a) he's putting journos off the scent! (2) covering his back for when he fails to sign a couple of reinfocements or © talking out of his bottom (noone in their right mind would call Santos or Squillaci adequate cover and Gervinho is hardly an adequate replacement on the left side of the forwards) We do however have adequate resources in midfield, particularly if Diaby can be kept fit.

There is rarely an obvious choice of manager that everyone signs onto as being a fabulous replacement. Wenger himself was regarded as a huge gamble (and Sir Red Nose faced a tough half season. You are right Carmine - its more a case of us being in need of someone to move us on to the next generation. All successful businesses need to change their leaders (even the successful ones) every 10-15 years.

I would have liked Kroenke to have gone for Guardiola. Now it cant be him I would take Mourinho (yes seriously) but he not quite Arsenal style is he?biggrin.png No reason why we shouldn't shoot for the stars.

Maybe Laudrup would suit Arsenal's style. Personally I'd like to see Klopp (Dortmund).

Nice to see Rosicky back. Last season he was excellent. When Wenger says that it is not essential to have new players because we have adequate cover - which is the bit that really irritated me Chicog - either (a) he's putting journos off the scent! (2) covering his back for when he fails to sign a couple of reinfocements or © talking out of his bottom (noone in their right mind would call Santos or Squillaci adequate cover and Gervinho is hardly an adequate replacement on the left side of the forwards) We do however have adequate resources in midfield, particularly if Diaby can be kept fit.

Klopp would be a fantastic choice for Arsenal and i really hope you don't get him.

^

Which 'few' of Swansea's players are really the top quality that the gunners strive for and as replacements for who?

^

Which 'few' of Swansea's players are really the top quality that the gunners strive for and as replacements for who?

Yeah, apart from Michu, to me no others really stand out as being a cut above.

^

Michu has done well, but it's still early days.

Still, he was a bargain price and might yet become an excellent centre forward in a top team.

^

Michu has done well, but it's still early days.

Still, he was a bargain price and might yet become an excellent centre forward in a top team.

I think he's just signed a new contract with Swansea. Sure I heard it on TalkSport. If so, he isn't going anywhere soon.

Outbreak of tranquility and calm between Spuds and Arse supporters?

Chicog - quick - say something nasty. Let normal hostilities recommencew00t.gif

I'm still waiting for your musical contribution ya tone deaf nark.

Is that better Santi? biggrin.png

Criticise a sick man would you ya tatty-heeded Jock?

[Have been in hospital a couple of days - just checked out and on the mend]. As Tony Hancock once said, pointing at a list of sicknesses that might have prevented him giving blood - "and I definitely haven't had that (disease)"]

biggrin.png

Outbreak of tranquility and calm between Spuds and Arse supporters?

Chicog - quick - say something nasty. Let normal hostilities recommencew00t.gif

I'm still waiting for your musical contribution ya tone deaf nark.

Is that better Santi? biggrin.png

Criticise a sick man would you ya tatty-heeded Jock?

[Have been in hospital a couple of days - just checked out and on the mend]. As Tony Hancock once said, pointing at a list of sicknesses that might have prevented him giving blood - "and I definitely haven't had that (disease)"]

biggrin.png

"A pint...that's almost an armful!!"

^

quite like the look of Ashley Williams along side Vermaelen at centre back and he is also a good cover at right back.

Michael Vorm is probably the second/third best keeper in the EPL IMO (after Hart and alongside either the Stoke or Sunderland keeper - can't remember which of the two it is that caught my eye, maybe both). Not a high priority to replace Sczesney though - he will let in a handful of stupid goals in a season but he'll stop two handfuls of goals - including some penalties - that others would not. He needs an old experienced head at number two to curb his over-confidence, help develop him as a world class keeper, not put Mannone's nose way out of joint (I think he could be of value, given more experience out on loan). Someone like Friedl, who is still top class.

Talk of Laudrup et al is all a bit academic (but good sport!) if Wenger can pull a striker out of the hat and if we can push Liverpool out of immediate contention tomorrow night. If, if .... in fact come to think of it our season and future direction probably hinge on what happens over the next 48 hours? w00t.gif. Agreed?

COYG

Edited by SantiSuk

Michael Vorm is probably the second/third best keeper in the EPL IMO (after Hart and alongside either the Stoke or Sunderland keeper - can't remember which of the two it is that caught my eye, maybe both). Not a high priority to replace Sczesney though - he will let in a handful of stupid goals in a season but he'll stop two handfuls of goals - including some penalties - that others would not. He needs an old experienced head at number two to curb his over-confidence, help develop him as a world class keeper, not put Mannone's nose way out of joint (I think he could be of value, given more experience out on loan). Someone like Friedl, who is still top class.

Talk of Laudrup et al is all a bit academic (but good sport!) if Wenger can pull a striker out of the hat and if we can push Liverpool out of immediate contention tomorrow night. If, if .... in fact come to think of it our season and future direction probably hinge on what happens over the next 48 hours? w00t.gif. Agreed?

COYG

You seem to have forgotten the likes of Reina, Lloris and Cech when discussing the best premier league keepers.

COYG

You seem to have forgotten the likes of Reina, Lloris and Cech when discussing the best premier league keepers.

Brad Fieldel is a better keeper than Hugo IMO.

COYG

Brad's still one of the best keepers in the league mate. The difference between him and Lloris is more down to youth. The frencman for example is much quicker off his line. His distribution is also better. One other thing, don't forget he's still building an understanding with his defense which is not made easier by never having the same back four for consecutive games.

One thing is for sure. Brad Friedal is one of the best keepers since the premier league was formed.

COYG

Fair challenge Carmine. I was only calling it based on what I've seen and who I would want at Arsenal. Cech - yes great keeper and has the sort of Schmeicel presence you need at the back, but getting a bit long in the tooth. Reina - nah. dunno why, inconsistent I think. Lloris - to be fair (to you guys) I haven't seen much of him for Spuds. To me Vorm looks like top 3 guy in say 2-3 seasons time.

COYG

Brad's still one of the best keepers in the league mate. The difference between him and Lloris is more down to youth. The frencman for example is much quicker off his line. His distribution is also better. One other thing, don't forget he's still building an understanding with his defense which is not made easier by never having the same back four for consecutive games.

One thing is for sure. Brad Friedal is one of the best keepers since the premier league was formed.

Yes i really understand that as we have the same problem at United at the back biggrin.png

You obviously werent around Chicog for the exchange of postings last year about Wenger when the likes of Mr Red agreed they we only posting supportive comments about him because they hoped Arsenal stick with him (because that waty we keep losing to them!)

I dont mind being called a glory hunter - but there has been not one wiff of glory (more than a couple of seasons of pretty footbal that never seemd to quite go anywhere) since I started supporting them in earnest 5 years ago!

Maybe youll be right and Ill have to eat my words. I hope so for the clubs sake since blind loyalty of a substantial portion of the fan base seems to be consigning us to stick with him through thin and thinner.

It's not "blind loyalty" Santi, it's called PATIENCE. He's nearing the end of a long project that required serious fiscal responsibility, and he's managed it while getting us into the Champions League every year. Him and Ken were quite clear in what we were undertaking.

As of next season, all of that comes to an end. Judge him on who he buys in the summer.

Until then all the impatient little Wenger knockers can shove it up their well worn, ignorant <deleted>.

It's not "blind loyalty" Santi, it's called PATIENCE. He's nearing the end of a long project that required serious fiscal responsibility, and he's managed it while getting us into the Champions League every year. Him and Ken were quite clear in what we were undertaking.

As of next season, all of that comes to an end. Judge him on who he buys in the summer.

Until then all the impatient little Wenger knockers can shove it up their well worn, ignorant <deleted>.

You sound like you know that this is the end of your champions league era. Wenger should <deleted> off back to Paris and open that poodle pampering palour he was destined for.

You sound like you know that this is the end of your champions league era. Wenger should <deleted> off back to Paris and open that poodle pampering palour he was destined for.

Yes, we've been listening to that drivel for thirteen years. It's often accompanied by "Tottenham will finish above us this year!". Yawn.

biggrin.png

Will definitely be staying up for tonight's game. Should be a cracker and interesting strategically. I dont expect relative Cup performances to have much bearing on the match and with Sturridge and Suarez seemingly working well together our defence had better smarten up fast, particularly on set-pieces, where we have been guilty of not getting heads on high balls all season.

It's all about ifs for Arsenal. If only Diaby can rediscover his pre-injury form tonight. If Theo can continue his improvement in consistency (plays a stormer one in 2 now, not one in three). If Koscielny can be smart enough to keep tight on Suarez (bit of a gamble to drop one of them in favour of K, but I can't see Vermaelen and certainly not Mertesacker being quick-witted enough to cope with S). If only Cazorla can be the early season Cazorla again.

I reckon that if Wilshere and Diaby are both playing that Jack will have to play more cautiously to help the defence pick-up on Suarez when S drops back into midfield. I worry that in the continued injury absence of Arteta we don't really have a DMF who sticks. I worry that we have too many players like Jack, Abu and Gibbs who like to run forward as soon as we get the ball. Very exciting when it works but I fear we may get sucker-punched more than once - I can see Gerard's excellent long ball (which Jack is beginning to copy quite effectively) exploiting the spaces that Gibbs leaves behind in particular.

Liverpool must also fear that if our midfield and attack clicks they could be pretty hot to handle. Liverpool like to play expansively too. We do badly against teams that push us hard when we have the ball, but that's not how the Reds typically play. We do badly against teams who play with width. That's how the Reds typically play. Should be a fascinating contest - most of them have been in recent years.

If Wenger picks Santos again I'm going back* to bed!

Finally, I'm hoping for a liberal ref who will keep the game flowing and no early red cards please (Jack and Laurent are always a worry).

*OK - I'll admit I'm a wuss - I'll go to bed at my normal Issaan bedtime of 11pm and set the alarm!

Edited by SantiSuk