Brexit has created chaos in Britain – nobody voted for this

webfact

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Now even the Leave Alliance are admitting Brexit has degenerated into an unholy mess .

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86867

Basically what this article implies is that, barring a miracle, brexit is impossible for at least another 5 years and after 5 more years, given the change in demographics and political will, it wont happen at all. Put the hold on those nasty looking navy blue passports.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orac said:

You forget to mention made-up one liner taken from the website of an American religious nut job.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I never picked up on that, but now you mention it, the phrasing does seem somewhat inelegant for such a statesman.

9 Quotes From Winston Churchill That Are Totally Fake

7 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I never picked up on that, but now you mention it, the phrasing does seem somewhat inelegant for such a statesman.

Though that site suggests the origin of the quote is from Victor Hugo:

You have enemies? Why, it is the story of every man who has done a great deed or created a new idea. It is the cloud which thunders around everything that shines. Fame must have enemies, as light must have gnats. Do not bother yourself about it; disdain. Keep your mind serene as you keep your life clear

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nanglong218 said:

Thanks tebee. I'm not on your side in this debate but that quote by Victor Hugo is one I shall tuck away as one of my guiding lights.

I aim to serve: both my friends and my enemies. My friends by assisting in what way I can, my enemies by showing them the error of their ways and making them my friends.    

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Yes, these elegantly phrased quotes suit him better (and these ones are real by the way):

"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilised tribes."

"(India is) a godless land of snobs and bores."

"I do not admit... that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia... by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race... has come in and taken its place."

"(We must rally against) a poisoned Russia, an infected Russia of armed hordes not only smiting with bayonet and cannon, but accompanied and preceded by swarms of typhus-bearing vermin."

"One may dislike Hitler's system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated, I hope we should find a champion as admirable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations."

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, these elegantly phrased quotes suit him better (and these ones are real by the way):

"One may dislike Hitler's system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated, I hope we should find a champion as admirable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations."

That is quoted out of context - the full quote is 

To feel deep concern about the armed power of Germany is in no way derogatory to Germany. On the contrary, it is a tribute to the wonderful and terrible strength which Germany exerted in the Great War, when almost single-handed she fought nearly all the world and nearly beat them. Naturally, when a people who have shown such magnificent military qualities are arming night and day, its neighbours, who bear the scars of previous conflicts, must be anxious and ought to be vigilant. One may dislike Hitler’s system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated I hope we should find a champion as indomitable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations. I have on more than one occasion made my appeal in public that the Führer of Germany should now become the Hitler of peace.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

"I do not understand the squeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poisonous gas against uncivilised tribes."

"(India is) a godless land of snobs and bores."

"I do not admit... that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America, or the black people of Australia... by the fact that a stronger race, a higher grade race... has come in and taken its place."

"(We must rally against) a poisoned Russia, an infected Russia of armed hordes not only smiting with bayonet and cannon, but accompanied and preceded by swarms of typhus-bearing vermin."

You need to cut back on the red meat, my friend. I certainly had no intention of lionising the man, but was merely referring to his commonly percieved grammatical style and use of syntax, and that, on reflection, the notion of someone of his time and breeding constructing a sentence such as that which was attributed to him seems ridiculous.

An elegant turn of phrase is not the preserve of the righteous.

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tebee said:

To feel deep concern about the armed power of Germany is in no way derogatory to Germany. On the contrary, it is a tribute to the wonderful and terrible strength which Germany exerted in the Great War, when almost single-handed she fought nearly all the world and nearly beat them. Naturally, when a people who have shown such magnificent military qualities are arming night and day, its neighbours, who bear the scars of previous conflicts, must be anxious and ought to be vigilant. One may dislike Hitler’s system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated I hope we should find a champion as indomitable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations. I have on more than one occasion made my appeal in public that the Führer of Germany should now become the Hitler of peace.

Out of context? Nah, can't be. :smile:

50 minutes ago, tebee said:

That is nowhere near the full quote, you started with the second sentence of the 8th paragraph and only posted one sentence from the next paragraph.  Anyway, the previous sentences you posted do nothing to change the premise of what I posted, the context was already clear, Churchill had a lot of respect for Hitler at the time.

51 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Out of context? Nah, can't be. :smile:

It wasn't, he did respect Hitler, as is clear in the full quote as it is in the little bit I posted.

Any other issues with the quotes I posted?  Better ask a friend, you'd have no idea, right?

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Honest Mistake, as time has proved to all with half a brain.

Are you then implying that Europe ( the UK is a European country) is our enemy ? You have mislaid your family brain cell. 

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

More importantly it was 52% out of those who voted.

....and that was on a 72.2% turnout - significantly higher than general elections.

Sure, but it remains "few" when taken in the context of the size of the electorate, and that was the argument, wasn't it, that it wasn't few who voted for Brexit?  Well actually it was, few voted for Brexit while the many did not.

Edited by Kieran00001