Phuket rental companies to be fined if found renting to unlicenced drivers

snoop1130

Phuket rental companies to be fined if found renting to unlicenced drivers

The Phuket News

1519815158_1-org.jpg

A growing number of tourists are now renting motorbikes to get around the island. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET:-- Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Sermpan Sirikong has confirmed that vehicle rental operators who allow drivers to rent a vehicle without the required driving licence must be fined B2,000.

Col Sermpan made the announcement yesterday (Feb 27) at a meeting held at Provincial Hall where he, Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong, Vice Governor Snith Sriwihok, Phuket Provincial and others discussed vehicle rental operators, especially motorcycle rentals, due to an increasing number of foreigners now using motorbikes as their preferred method of transport when visiting the island.

Col Sermpan told The Phuket News, “If any vehicle rental operator allows someone to rent a vehicle without the required driving licence they must be fined B2,000.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-rental-companies-to-be-fined-if-found-renting-to-unlicenced-drivers-66151.php#ueROl4o8VcEJQr2j.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-2-28

So how will this be enforced? At police checks except fining the rider also note his details and where he rented and pay the rental shop a visit?

Sorry, don't see it happening, except after a serious accident.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

I pray for this to come true. No more Chinese drivers swaying all across the road at a speed about 1 km/h above the LSPWTO (Lowest speed possible without tipping over).

I have seen them do a TLSTATO, too low speed to avoid tipping over.

9 hours ago, sweatalot said:

More important: they should be fined (and heavily)  if the motorcycle is not insured

The third party porobor insurance is compulsory, and they all have that.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

The third party porobor insurance is compulsory, and they all have that.

I spent a few of hours at Dibuk Hospital last night with a motorcycle accident victim. She had her entire bill paid by the por ror bor  insurance (pays up to THB30,000). The insurers did not ask to see her licence. I do know that she doesn't have one (apart from the standard EU moped up to 50cc) but her husband, who rented the bike, does. 

This brings up two issues:

1. Even if the renter has a licence, it doesn't stop an unlicensed rider from riding a bike;

2. It's not an issue for local motorcycle insurance companies. As an ex-insurance man, I'm surprised at this as this, as might all those that believe insurance companies look for every reason to deny a claim. 

However, I consider this a move in the right direction but, as has been stated above, I can't see the police enforcing this except in the case of serious accidents or incidents.. 

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I spent a few of hours at Dibuk Hospital last night with a motorcycle accident victim. She had her entire bill paid by the por ror bor  insurance (pays up to THB30,000). The insurers did not ask to see her licence. I do know that she doesn't have one (apart from the standard EU moped up to 50cc) but her husband, who rented the bike, does. 

This brings up two issues:

1. Even if the renter has a licence, it doesn't stop an unlicensed rider from riding a bike;

2. It's not an issue for local motorcycle insurance companies. As an ex-insurance man, I'm surprised at this as this, as might all those that believe insurance companies look for every reason to deny a claim. 

However, I consider this a move in the right direction but, as has been stated above, I can't see the police enforcing this except in the case of serious accidents or incidents.. 

Confirms exactly what I have stated earlier: for the compulsory porobor a license it not required, it will always pay.

"Col Sermpan told The Phuket News, “If any vehicle rental operator allows someone to rent a vehicle without the required driving licence they must be fined B2,000."

It looks like most, if not all, tourists won't be eligible to hire a bike!  Most will have a licence from their home country, but not many come equipped with an international licence.  

I'm all for tourists not hiring a motorcycle, mainly because so many die through no fault of their own.  I've learnt over the years that I've been here that it doesn't matter how good a rider you think you are, you can't compete with the locals, especially when they are full of Laokao, YaBa or just their lack of driving skills.  However, tourists hiring motorcycles are entitled to make their own decisions, but those decisions are usually based upon lack of local knowledge.

If the plan works, great!  But, when the word gets around that the hiring companies are going out of business, it'll just be another law that isn't enforced.

So what is " A required driving licence "  ? 

Most tourists would only have a licence from their own country and it is highly unlikely they will have a Thai driving licence...

In my experience even the police cannot understand a foreign driving licence so what chance does a hire company have ? 

So then let's say 85% of the people can't rent a motorcycle or scooter anymore.
Because their car driving licence is only good for small scooters.
Good luck with that.
Motorcycle rental shops will be happy.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Confirms exactly what I have stated earlier: for the compulsory porobor a license it not required, it will always pay.

Yes it will always pay, but if you read the contracty it may recover that cost then from the owner who permitted the unlicenced rider to ride.

22 hours ago, sweatalot said:

More important: they should be fined (and heavily)  if the motorcycle is not insured

the bikes are insured, if damaged insurance pays to get it fixed plus they get some money off the farang, win win