How Hot In April?

papaya9

I may be coming to Thailand in April and even the Thai people here in North Am say its STINKING hot. Would anyone dispute this claim? I remember being a kid and stepping out of an air conditioned car in Florida for a moment and I was sweating like a cold beer mug. Is it really that bad? (I'm coming anyway so no dissuasion! :o

I may be coming to Thailand in April and even the Thai people here in North Am say its STINKING hot. Would anyone dispute this claim? I remember being a kid and stepping out of an air conditioned car in Florida for a moment and I was sweating like a cold beer mug. Is it really that bad? (I'm coming anyway so no dissuasion! :o

Look for temps 35-40 degrees.

Why do you think they have Song Khran then, makes getting the water throwen on you not so bad... :D

The water chucking is OK (unless it's a barrelful as you are driving past on a bike), but how about the powder and spray crap? :o I love Song Kran; just a pity it's when we start our water shortages...

April/May is the only time I cheat and turn on the aircon. And wish I shopped at Tesco.

Showers, air-con are the answer. 3 hour wanderings around Chiang Mai are fine in December but are torture in April.

If you overheat, it can leave you feeling awful for a day or two after. Don't plan any strenuous outdoor activities.

Remember Songkran is April 13 - 15. Have you experienced this before?

It's not as bad as some make it out to be. Temperatures in Central Thailand are the highest for the year in April, but the relative humidity average for the month is reasonably low because of the low rainfall average for April. Humidity correlates directly with rainfall, so after rain it gets really steamy...but during dry weeks the heat index is lower because of the lower humidity and the temps are bearable.

Last year during Songkran in Pattaya (April 18 - 19) I was actually feeling cold riding around wet on my motorcycle. April 18-19 were overcast and relatively cool.

Edited by tropo

Thailand is hot in March, April, May, June but I don't know why people quote temperatures; it is meaningless to how comfortable one feels.

I would rather be in a dry 40 degree Riyadh heat than an April 40 degree Pattaya heat, surely the time has come to focus on humidity percentages....?

BBC World T.V. still never mention them.

Thanks Briggsy- Never have done Songkran before. Will be doing in Isaan instead of Bkk.

In that case, keep the beer on ice, sleep during mid-day , come out when the sun goes down and join in on a rousing karaoke party. I will be back in Isaan as well during Songkran.

Can't wait

Skip April. Miserably hot. Lame water 'festival' (Songkran) where hundreds die and thousands more get injured in road accidents from millions of irresponsible, sh!tfaced-drunk Thais who throw all caution to the wind by dousing passing motorists with water, sometimes from questionable (i.e. unsanitary) sources...

My advice: wait until May or June.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it :D

In that case, keep the beer on ice, sleep during mid-day , come out when the sun goes down and join in on a rousing karaoke party. I will be back in Isaan as well during Songkran.

Can't wait

Nova- Lmao! That sounds in order. Fortunately my wife's brother in Isaan installed A/C units in the room we usually stay in. No bugs and night-sweating! F'ing roosters still manage to wake us up though. :o

Maybe we'll cross paths.

Regards,

Kurt

Edited by papaya9

Thailand is hot in March, April, May, June but I don't know why people quote temperatures; it is meaningless to how comfortable one feels.

I would rather be in a dry 40 degree Riyadh heat than an April 40 degree Pattaya heat, surely the time has come to focus on humidity percentages....?

BBC World T.V. still never mention them.

I mentioned this already in my reply. The humidity in April will depend on the rainfall. If the weeks are dry, the humidity will be low. If we get some rain, conditions will turn steamy.

If you look around, you'll find plenty of sites that include the relative humidity.

Weather in Thailand including RH

What you're talking about is what is known as the "heat index" which translates to how the temperature "feels" to the body by taking into consideration the relative humidity.

Heat Index Calculator

Heat Index Charts

I was in Mukdahan (Isaan) last year during Songkran and it was 43 degree Celsius and no wind.

I dunno about the humidity but I was feeling bad for sure.

The Thais said it was a bit hot but I was dying outside.

I come from a country that have average temp of 15 Celsius.

Now when it is about 26 in Thailand I feel OK.

Anything above 30 and I sweat.

Guess it will take me a few more years to get my body ready for those high temps.

The beach at Hua Hin is the place to be in April, IMO. It is true there are jelly fish in the Gulf at that time, but they have never deterred me from swimming. Water is warm, there are great breezes in the afternoons, plenty of firm sand to walk on for miles. Occasionally there's a dramatic rain storm which leaves the town feeling fresh and cool. Songkran madness is fairly low key (most bucket and hose activity is on the first day). there are good hotels and apartments for rent, reasonably priced, often with pools. there are fewer tourists in April than in Dec-March, too. Now if it wasn't for the horses and mad beach cowboys, and jet-skis and forests of beach umbrellas............................. :o

Where as myself I'd rather be sweating my goolies off in 40degrees Pattayan heat checking out the fluff in hotpants and heels than 40degrees in Riyadh or Jeddah checking out tilacs wrapped from head to toe in batmans cape :o:D

Lib's right though the dry heat is soooooo much more berable...