Do You Drink Tap Water?

Jet Gorgon

OK, I know BKK and other city dwellers will think I'm wacko to ask, but as a rural resident connected to well water, I use my tap water for cooking, brushing my teeth, and often for making coffee. I found my well water tastes and smells better than some of the local bottled stuff. BTW, I used bottled water one time in my guppy bowl and several died. :D

I also think well water boosts the immunity system, as I rarely get flus or colds. But, that could be in the genes, I guess. :o

Any opinions, Gentle TV members?

A couple of years ago I flew back from Thailand from Phuket. I stopped in BKK for a bit and then on to SFO. I had to spend the evening in the BKK airport to wait for my connecting flight. I had no bottled water with me. I used the lavatory to wash my face and brush my teeth. I might have drank from the airport fountain, but I don't remember. Twenty plus hours later I arrive home in the U.S with terrible stomach cramps and flu like symptoms. By the time I got home I was full on sick with some stomach virus. Up to that point I had used only bottled water and beer for my liquids. I guess if you live there your body would adjust, but for a short trip don't take the chance. I'm just glad it was at the end of my trip and not at the beginning when I fell ill.

Edited by westcoastnative

OK, I know BKK and other city dwellers will think I'm wacko to ask, but as a rural resident connected to well water, I use my tap water for cooking, brushing my teeth, and often for making coffee. I found my well water tastes and smells better than some of the local bottled stuff. BTW, I used bottled water one time in my guppy bowl and several died. :D

I also think well water boosts the immunity system, as I rarely get flus or colds. But, that could be in the genes, I guess. :o

Any opinions, Gentle TV members?

A couple of years ago I flew back from Thailand from Phuket. I stopped in BKK for a bit and then on to SFO. I had to spend the evening in the BKK airport to wait for my connecting flight. I had no bottled water with me. I used the lavatory to wash my face and brush my teeth. I might have drank from the airport fountain, but I don't remember. Twenty plus hours later I arrive home in the U.S with terrible stomach cramps and flu like symptoms. By the time I got home I was full on sick with some stomach virus. Up to that point I had used only bottled water and beer for my liquids. I guess if you live there your body would adjust, but for a short trip don't take the chance. I'm just glad it was at the end of my trip and not at the beginning when I fell ill.

Are you OK now? Heard SF gets alot of turbidity in the reservoir water. You'll have to stay longer in Thailand. Get immune to the bugs all the farang bring over.

Good idea to use a rainwater tank for drinking water, particularly if your

well water has a lot of calcium in it (not really harmful, but tastes bad).

If your well water is clear and does not smell then it should

be fine for coffee/tea, cooking. Should also be ok for drinking if you

boil it (roiling boil for 10 min) before cooling and putting in the fridge.

Also have a good look around the area of your well, any grazing animals (poo),

cultivation (chemicals), industry (battery re-cyclers :D) etc.

I once flew a government inspector kM 1,000 into our remote mining township

to inspect and license our new water reticulation system.

He filled a glass from the tap, looked at it,

smelled it, tasted it and said ... no problem. :o

He later explained that his main job (area of expertize)

was to tour the water catchment area and ensure

there were no potential contaminants.

Naka.

Thats interesting info thnx our well water discolours the toilets and you get scale build up on the taps and shower heads, the toilets get left with a brown mark round the water level so the maid is constantly using DUCK toilet cleaner.

Any input on this NAKA

As Lingling said :-

Chlorination of water

containing low levels of iron results in the formation of insoluble iron oxide or iron chlorides.

Insoluble iron salts are the cause of what is commonly called "red water" and can cause a

reddish-brown stain on laundry, porcelain, utensils and glassware.

Info on 'Red' water

Naka.

Edited by naka

Thanks for info, Naka. Had the rust stains at times when I take my laundry to the L lady. Must be in their tank or well?

Well, tank or pipes. If it happens occasionally (when you haven't used water for a while) then tank or pipes is the likely cause. If it is constant, then most likely from the well.

By far the biggest potential hazard about drinking tap water in Thailand, is the lack of a backflow prevention program in Thailand.

In many developed countries, companies are assessed according of their type business & then must (if deemed necessary by the assessment), install backflow prevention devices such as RPZ valves or 'break gaps'.

A good example of why this is done is when chemically contaminated water from a business was sucked back into the water supply due to a water supply failure (reduction or loss of water pressure). Many people were hospitalised as a result of being poisoned from the water supply. This happened in Sydney, Australia about 15-20 years ago.

Backflow prevention devices are now mandatory in Sydney.

Edited by elkangorito

• 4 years later...

Well, I don't know what this guy saw in his Sathorn tap water, but

I live in Ari, and I KNOW for sure that I had the EXACT same worm

living in my 30 gallon plastic trash bin which I use solely for the "cold

water bucket bath". And, after 2-3 weeks of just refilling, I empty the full

bin to clean it.........and, low and behold......there are at least 100 tiny

red worms about 1-2 inches long, squiggling for their lives on the tile

floor.........no mozzie larvae, no way. I wonder how many have tried to enter

my body while splashing away the soap, or have tried to climb up my arse!! YIKES!!

DO NOT DRINK THAI TAP WATER BEFORE BOILING. I work with the MWA upper echelon,

and they have told me the same thing......"Bangkoki tap water is safe, potable, to drink."

But, I think they are taught to say that. Why not? What else would they say, that it isn't safe?

Up to you, but I know for a fact.......the worms came from worm eggs in the water. Gulp.

>>> Do You Drink Tap Water?, Not For City Dwellers

An simple check for your tap water is to fill a glass and leave it for about three of four days.

My house tap water in Sathorn, Bangkok cultivates little red worm like creatures dancing similar to my avatar.

That sounds like mosquito larvae. Mosquitos probably laid eggs in the water after you filled the glass.

As for drinking well water - have it tested for microbes first to avoid surprises.