Getting rid of Pigeons.

NoshowJones

On March 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM, ezzra said:

No need to poison the poor birds that are just doing what nature has given them,

get a spike rack over the internet and position them where they land/sit, they will

not be back again...

Little bit hard to put spike racks all around the pool area, where they come and land to drink the pool water and sh#t on the surrounds. 

I'm thinking a bb gun with plastic ball ammo and sit nearby and shoot the vermin. 

I have some plastic netting over my rails on balcony, but that's it. Lots of pigeons where I live, lots of unused condos for them to foul (fowl?) up. Pigeons aren't stupid: may be why BF Skinner used them for psych learning experiments. I was watchful for several weeks and anytime a bird alighted I would go out and hiss like a snake and startle them. I have a couple old pieces of clothing hanging below air con to identify my condo, so they remember  and not land  here. It seems to work. I can even go away for a couple of weeks and perhaps one poop shot. Oh yeah, important to keep balcony shit free... "hmm none of the others seem to go here...."

May not work for you. Perhaps I just have smarter birds around my place

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Please tell us what damage they are doing?

Are they smashing your windows, destroying your house brick by brick, attacking you, eating your woodwork or munching down on your potted plants?

Pigeons do not nest in trees or on motorbikes.   They nest in cavities in buildings or on ledges under an overhang... like they would in their natural habitat of cliffs and caves.  

I think you don't know what a pigeon is.  Do you mean the spotted necked doves?

It would seem impossible for these small doves to destroy or damage anything.  These doves are much smaller than pigeons, they have a long tail also.

If you really have huge piles of pigeon crap plastering your house and motorbike and damage to your property, then please take some photos and show us on here.

It just sounds like you are fixating on some small doves to get a kick out of killing or injuring them for no reason other than their mere presence annoys you.

Perhaps they have tattoos, facial hair and are fat? 

• Haha 1

On 03/03/2018 at 12:33 PM, possum1931 said:

As far as I know the spike rack is for ledges and window sills, not on the ground, please correct me if I'm wrong, 

I do not want to use poison, but I am at the end of my tether now. If anything destroys or attempts to destroy my property, then I will kill them anyway I can.

Get your mate Trans to sing at them Mrs Bucket style

That might work. 

On 3/3/2018 at 1:12 PM, possum1931 said:

"Eliminate the SOURCE of the pigeons interest". I thought I had done that by getting all the entrances to my house blocked off, so they must be nesting elsewhere and returning just to annoy me, there is no source of food, so poisoning has to be the last resort.

I bought an airsoft gun, hit one pigeon with it, and now it does not work.

Maybe they know your a cruel Bastardo and there coming after you, have you seen Alfred Hitchcocks (The Birds )  :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What a load of nonsense, I can assure you they keep trying to nest on my motorbike, they even got as far as laying an egg, yes, on the motorbike.

Still no photos of the pigeons on your bike... and the massive amount of damage they are doing to your property?  Hmmmm....

Don't you use your motor bike at all?  It would take them at least a week to make a nest and then another week to lay an egg.

Hear is an idea for you.....why not just throw a cover over your bike?  That would stop the birds, and also keep the bike clean from dust and water.

I am pretty sure the birds you are referring to are not pigeons.  Either zebra doves or oriental spotted necked doves.  Killing a pair of small nesting doves sound rather pathetic. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, yrag said:

Napalm/mothballs.....what i use...also good to keep snakes away

Can buy anywhere...especially 20 bt shops, lotus big-c ...etc

Maybe you mean Naphtha? Not many Big Cs stock napalm..so fa as I know

• Like 1

For anyone that thinks pigeons are fun here are some pictures I took yesterday of an upstairs deck for a guest bedroom that is not used so often, just about one week after cleaning the area, the mess coupled to the  incessant noise from them week after week is not fun.

Pigeon1.jpg

Pigeon2.jpg

Pigeon3.jpg

• Like 2

On 03/03/2018 at 1:03 PM, possum1931 said:

As far as I know the spike rack is for ledges and window sills, not on the ground, please correct me if I'm wrong, 

I do not want to use poison, but I am at the end of my tether now. If anything destroys or attempts to destroy my property, then I will kill them anyway I can.

Bicarbonate of soda will kill them and is not a long term toxin. 

• Haha 1

I put a net over my motorbike before putting the cover on it to stop the pigeons building nests in it, now they have torn the cover at the top and the net has stopped them getting in, I cannot poison them only because of the safety of my dogs, I have had a very unhelpful respons from a poster accusing me of having a bird phobia, and another saying it is doves and not pigeons. I love animals and birds, but now I have been pushed too far.

I am now considering catching them in a trap and killing them one by one, I know that will not get rid of them, but it will make me feel better having got some revenge.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I put a net over my motorbike before putting the cover on it to stop the pigeons building nests in it, now they have torn the cover at the top and the net has stopped them getting in, I cannot poison them only because of the safety of my dogs, I have had a very unhelpful respons from a poster accusing me of having a bird phobia, and another saying it is doves and not pigeons. I love animals and birds, but now I have been pushed too far.

I am now considering catching them in a trap and killing them one by one, I know that will not get rid of them, but it will make me feel better having got some revenge.

Baking soda will work and you can place the bread on a ledge or wall, if no houses next to you get an air gun.

foos_yer_tartan_1024x1024[1].jpg

12 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

Baking soda will work and you can place the bread on a ledge or wall, if no houses next to you get an air gun.

foos_yer_tartan_1024x1024[1].jpg

Thanks mate, I will do the baking soda right now, do you know where I can get an airgun, a pistol preferably?

Take a few small containers and sprinkle them with some kind of grain (uncooked rice, corn, muesli, whatever).

Place the containers nearby the pigeons roosting place but where the dogs can't reach.

After you see it is being consumed by the pigeons refill the containers each day for 3-4 days.

On day 5 add a small amount of ethylene glycol to the grain.

https://www.chemipan.com/home/index.php/635-สินค้า/646-สารเคมีทั่วไป/648-สารเคมีทั่วไป/10802/10802-ethylene-glycol-eg-เอทิลีน-ไกลคอล-เคมีภัณฑ์-สารเคมี.html

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am sorry to doubt you.  How can pigeons tear through a motor bike cover?  They don't have strong enough beaks or feet.  They are not parrots.

I seriously can't believe that pigeons are doing this.

You still have not posted any phots of the offenders and the damage they are doing, so how can you expect me to believe you?  The evidence you give suggests another kind of bird is doing this.  Pigeons will not nest and lay eggs on your motor bike.

Catching them a killing them for 'revenge' seems like an over reaction.  You think the birds are out to get you and doing this to annoy you on purpose?  

To other posters on this thread.....poisoning wild birds is just cruel. Tthe birds will suffer a long and agonising death... perhaps over several days.  You would also be breaking the new anti animal cruelty laws.  Where their bodies end up other animals will eat them and also get poisoned.. maybe you cat or dog, or a wild hawk etc.  

I can only understand you want to kill the birds simply because you don't like them walking around the yard, although now you are saying they are ripping open bike covers to damage you bike.  You even say they are not roosting or nesting on your property in your early posts, so I can't see what damage they would be doing.

Please take a moment to take a photo of the pigeons on your bike.

Edited by jak2002003

Mung beans soaked in Thai whiskey overnight. Next day put it out (should not be any liquid just the beans). Apparently, their bodies/livers are unable to process the alcohol and it kills them. As for your dogs, they may get a bit drunk if they are daft enough to eat the beans but would not result in death.  The only problem with this is stopping other birds from eating the beans. 

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks mate, I will do the baking soda right now, do you know where I can get an airgun, a pistol preferably?

I purchased a .22 Gamo air rifle many years ago in BKK. Be very careful using an air gun if you have houses next to you, if reported you will have big issues.

My wife has a firearms license so not a big issue having the air gun as long as someone does not provide a picture of me using the gun.  

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I am sorry to doubt you.  How can pigeons tear through a motor bike cover?  They don't have strong enough beaks or feet.  They are not parrots.

I seriously can't believe that pigeons are doing this.

You still have not posted any phots of the offenders and the damage they are doing, so how can you expect me to believe you?  The evidence you give suggests another kind of bird is doing this.  Pigeons will not nest and lay eggs on your motor bike.

Catching them a killing them for 'revenge' seems like an over reaction.  You think the birds are out to get you and doing this to annoy you on purpose?  

To other posters on this thread.....poisoning wild birds is just cruel. Tthe birds will suffer a long and agonising death... perhaps over several days.  You would also be breaking the new anti animal cruelty laws.  Where their bodies end up other animals will eat them and also get poisoned.. maybe you cat or dog, or a wild hawk etc.  

I can only understand you want to kill the birds simply because you don't like them walking around the yard, although now you are saying they are ripping open bike covers to damage you bike.  You even say they are not roosting or nesting on your property in your early posts, so I can't see what damage they would be doing.

Please take a moment to take a photo of the pigeons on your bike. 

Firstly, having no interest in photography, I do not know how to do it, my nearest farang friend stays 30Ks from me.

I have lived in this house for the last twelve years and had them walking about all over the place and it did not bother me. It is only when they tried to build nests on my bike and now ripped the top of the cover, and despite what you say they did.

Your paragraph 5. What you say is the very reason I have not poisoned these birds.

If any person or animal threatens me or my property, I will take the appropriate action, and have done so in the past though not in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Isan Farang said:

I purchased a .22 Gamo air rifle many years ago in BKK. Be very careful using an air gun if you have houses next to you, if reported you will have big issues.

My wife has a firearms license so not a big issue having the air gun as long as someone does not provide a picture of me using the gun.  

There are no houses next to me, though there is one across the road and out of range. Can you tell me where in Bangkok I can buy an air pistol?

Possum 1931,

You appear to have done all the right stuff to get rid of the pigeons. I have dealt with this many times in the US as I used to eradicate them for friends. The key is the nesting and pressure. Once they have set up a nest, the fledglings remember the area as home base and return to nest again and again. Spike strips are usually ineffective as they know how to land on them. The key is to block the potential nest building locations and keep the pressure on them, by that I mean do not let them get comfortable (If they have a nest go bother them at night with water or sticks or whatever. They do not like to fly at night as owls will eat them up). 

When I finally retired and was home full time in the north I had about a dozen hanging around our house. I immediately started hitting them with a super soaker water gun, knocking down the few nests they had built and shooting them with my pellet gun. I killed half a dozen or so and kept the pressure on them every time they came near and they have since gone and no issues. Once you break the nesting cycle they will inhabit another location and the cycle continues there. Pigeons are basically flying carp as I call it and offer no value. 

Good Luck

on Edit, when I say pressure I mean daily and even hourly if you have time. Once you have all the nest knocked down you will have to do this for a few weeks but it works effectively. 

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 1