Chaweng V Lamai

I'm single, but not looking for too much 'action.' I love relaxing on the beach. Which is the better place for a couple of days?

Also, what should I pay to rent a bike? In Patong they're 150-200B.

Thanks

IMHO you should avoid both.

I love Koh Samui but dislike the two areas you've mentioned. I find Chaweng anonymous in the sense that it could be any seaside strip in any continent. I dislike Lamai because I find it sleazy and scruffy.

My favourite town is the capital Nathon which IMHO still retains some semblance of a Thai town and makes for an interesting visit, whether it be watching the pier activity or wandering around the shops (which offer far better value than those on Chaweng).

The beaches found on the west/southwest are my favourites but may be too quiet for you.

Maenam and Bophut provide a good 'middle ground' between the tranquility of the SW beaches and the overkill of Chaweng.

As far as the price of renting bikes is concerned, as far as I can remeber from conversations with friends, I think it's roughly the same as Patong - don't take my word for it though as I always rent a jeep (mainly because I value my life!).

Chok Dee.

Edited by somchai jones

Jesus! The person asked about Lamai vs. Chaweng, not Nathon or some other place.

Go to Lamai. It is better in every way.

Calm down my friend, it appeared that the poster wasn't too familiar with Samui and so some of us (politely) threw in some other suggestions that he may not have been aware of.

Edited by somchai jones

Jesus! The person asked about Lamai vs. Chaweng, not Nathon or some other place.

Go to Lamai. It is better in every way.

Calm down my friend, it appeared that the poster wasn't too familiar with Samui and so some of us (politely) threw in some other suggestions that he may not have been aware of.

Good point. And I will also add Chong Mon as the most beautiful of all the beaches!

I like staying in Lamai as its smaller and more relaxed but often going over to Chaweng in the night perhaps to eat and party. IMO it really doesnt make that much difference in which place you stay though since it only takes like 10 minutes to go over the the next beach if you have a scooter.

I have been to Samui twice, on both occassions I stayed at chaweng beach gardens on the beach centre of Chaweng.

On one occassion I stayed a couple of nights in Lamai for a change, it was OK but I would not do it again, it does not have 'the groove' or any charm of its own.

But I would go to Samui again and would base myself at Chaweng Gardens.