‘Men of discipline?’ Police banned from wearing sunglasses following haircut order as force gets an image makeover

webfact

As always - all about 'image' - nothing about reality, competence, duty and performance. 

Many years ago my brother, who has never been to Thailand, was astonished when I told him that in Thailand the outer appearance is far, far more important (carries more weight) than the inner competence or genuine qualifications. 'So if a hotel porter dressed up neatly in a white coat and doctor's uniform, and began to spout nonsense about medicine - people would believe him  - because he is wearing a white coat and a stethoscope?!', he asked. 'Pretty much so' I replied.

And it is so. Image, externality, FACADE is EVERYTHING here: INNER WORTH and intrinsic value mean nothing in Thailand.

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

what about varifocal glasses .....the ones that change colour with different light conditions??

Photochromic specs, I think you mean. Varifocals are 'ordinary' specs that have varying degrees of correction, according to what angle you're looking thro' them, i.e. straight ahead, for driving, etc. or down at an angle, for cooking reading.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Varifocals are progressive prescription lenses. You're thinking about photochromic lenses like reactolites. 

Sorry, L. Failed to spot your post and done a similar clarification, next page.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

I couldn't agree more. Beyond the 'appearance vs reality' issue, one could even say it's effect vs cause. There's a reason why the cops here (and not just here but in most countries) like to put on this grotesque Rambo attitude. Is anyone interested in addressing the reason ? No, of course, because that would imply such a radical change of thought and behaviour that it would be akin to a revolution. A revolution of the minds, in any case.

Here are just two other examples where we focus on the effects and neglect the causes, probably because we are utterly incapable of doing anything about them :

- Drugs. Lawmakers and cops go after the dealers (though almost never the ones at the top) and the takers, basically, but society refuses to face the scary questions : why do so many people need to insulate themselves from reality ? what reality does society have to offer ? What hope and what future ? who would dare to say that Facebook, McDonald and Coke, Smartphones and a lot of other perfectly legal things are also hard drugs, and who benefits from the crime(s) ?

- Pollution. We throw our hands up in despair at the amount of damage that's being done to the planet we live on, knowing full well that most of this damage is irreversible and growing exponentially, but most of it is the result of a society where wealth, possessions and material comfort is deemed the greatest achievement. Are we trying to raise our children in a different paradigm ? I see very little of that around.

Good points and more crucial than the thread issue. Good job you don't live next door . . . we'd be talking all night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Preposterous!  They'll be banning envelope collections next!

No they will never do that.  It is not the sunglasses here that are the problem with the cops its getting them to get of there backsides and start enforcing the law

12 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Good points and more crucial than the thread issue. Good job you don't live next door . . . we'd be talking all night!

:biggrin: Sawang Daen Din is near Sakhon Nakhon right ? I love how you rename it. I live in Pattaya Ting Tong myself, and here I have yet to find an expat who would discuss such issues all night long... Not exactly a cultural destination here, not to make too fine a point on it...

I guess I made the wrong choice (but I'm stuck with it for the time being), although I do love the sea air, the easy-to-reach facilities & restaurants, and places like Koh Larn which is still nice in spite of the tremendous efforts put in by the locals and the tourists (especially Chinese and Russian, I hate to say) to deface it.

Sorry guys and mods, I know this is waaaaay off the actual thread topic, lol.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

We were pulled over a couple of weeks ago by a rather menacing-looking officer (full black face covering including "reflecto" sunglasses). My wife told him in no uncertain terms that she would not speak with him until she could see his face.  To my surprise he happily obliged, revealing an endearing smile and some welcome advice to 'take care ahead as there'd been a serious accident'.  That and news of the nabbing of that paedophile in Pattaya... thumbs up for the local constabulary!  

Edited by Essaybloke
Close parenthesis.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Maybe not everybody feels the need to wear sunglasses. If the sun is strong / low i definitely feel uncomfortable without sunglasses, and others will feel like this too. And i think everybody will agree that UV is not good for the eyes.

Even on overcast days when it's not "sunny" there is still an unhealthy dose of UV constantly radiating everywhere. This is an occupational hazard and clear risk for anyone who regularly works outside. If the police chief cares for the health of his men and women, then he should insist they wear sunglasses, or at the very least UV blockers, when they are assigned to work outdoors.  I agree that the glasses need to be lifted when there's face-to-face interaction.

As for the masked cop pictured earlier in this thread, I think that looks kind of cool and futuristic, like a police driod.  Maybe they could take that image and run with it, following the popularity of the star wars franchise - stopping somewhere between imperial senate guard and Darth Vader.

• Like 1

After 25 years of being out in this intense sunlight most policemen will have cataracts. Also a big thanks to all the drunken barfly responses. Your constant negativity is such a great addition to the stories. (sarcasm). There are several other countries where you can go.

Sunglasses, especially the expensive ones are for monks only, and not for police officers. that's understandable.

They should only hire female officers, they look pretty in these uniforms and I wouldn't mind if they stop me and give me their phone number.

Thai police officers female.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newatthis said:

Correct. It's rude not  to remove your sunglasses when talking to others.

It does not matter if you mumble through your face mask just don't wear your sunglasses. What a pathetic joke

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

:biggrin: Sawang Daen Din is near Sakhon Nakhon right ? I love how you rename it. I live in Pattaya Ting Tong myself, and here I have yet to find an expat who would discuss such issues all night long... Not exactly a cultural destination here, not to make too fine a point on it...

I guess I made the wrong choice (but I'm stuck with it for the time being), although I do love the sea air, the easy-to-reach facilities & restaurants, and places like Koh Larn which is still nice in spite of the tremendous efforts put in by the locals and the tourists (especially Chinese and Russian, I hate to say) to deface it.

Sorry guys and mods, I know this is waaaaay off the actual thread topic, lol.

Yes, about 50km west of S-N, where, interestingly enough, the cops seem comparatively untainted and seldom to be seen with poncy, Electra Glide in Blue sun-specs. Like the rest of Isan folk, they're happy to play fair . . . well, maybe the odd B200 'gratuity' notwithstanding. One of those as good as sets you up with a wave-thru for life, within a 20km radius. I like Isan!

Edited by Ossy
clarity

I'm pretty sure that the new haircut, the new uniform color (is there a new salute too?), the no-sunglasses are a result of "Reforms", you will love, or else.

In most countries, when you put lipstick on a pig, it remains a pig. In Thailand, lipstick on a pig transforms it into something altogether different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essaybloke said:

We were pulled over a couple of weeks ago by a rather menacing-looking officer (full black face covering including "reflecto" sunglasses). My wife told him in no uncertain terms that she would not speak with him until she could see his face.  To my surprise he happily obliged, revealing an endearing smile and some welcome advice to 'take care ahead as there'd been a serious accident'.  That and news of the nabbing of that paedophile in Pattaya... thumbs up for the local constabulary!  

Might of thought he was SAS or something or a Thai who did not want to " Lose Face" so he was hiding it

• Like 1

Everybody needs sunglasses after some heavy drinking so no complaints from me in that sense but you can take them off  while in a direct conversation, while pointing or when giving an interview/photo/video session. 

Edited by Jack Mountain

This is very good. Have a strict uniform code. Be proude of your work and your uniform. Next, raise the salary for the police on the streets. So they can have a good living, without teabagging.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newatthis said:

Correct. It's rude not  to remove your sunglasses when talking to others.

I agree totally with you, but like so many other so called orders handed down from their superiors  it will last about a hour them back to normal, stating the sun hurts their eyes more... Lets see aye  

OK, my final offer, having had half a day to speculate on this glaring issue:-

1. Hair-cuts, to an exact specification, to be carried out by midday, this Friday. Failure - immediate dismissal.
  2. No sunglasses, having decided, even in Thailand's sunny conditions, that they are NOT ESSENTIAL, neither for eye-health nor quality of vision. Officers offending this ban - immediate dismissal. Rules are rules and shall not be messed about with . . . OK?
  3. Reduce the massive 230,000 force numbers by 20%, i.e. 4 men will do the work previously done by 5. Terrific! . . . this gets better by the minute.
  4. Increase wages by 25%, resulting in a salary that reflects responsibility, endeavour and danger, whilst holding gross salary costs steady . . . think about it.

Right, that's the RTP sorted. What's next . . . coastal erosion or climate control? . . . both simple from here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1