What's with the Baht? ???

7 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

In January 2016, I remember getting 36 Baht to the USD, right now it is about to drop below 32 Baht if using the Thai bank exchange rates. Will the exchange rates get any worse?

Yes.....

From Bloomberg.

“There are not many countries like Thailand where the local economy is getting better but inflation is benign,” Jitipol Puksamatanan, Bangkok-based chief strategist at Krung Thai Bank Pcl, said. “This characteristic could be considered as the best of breed among EM currencies.” He expects the baht to strengthen to 30.7 per dollar by end-2019.

Yes.....

From Bloomberg.
“There are not many countries like Thailand where the local economy is getting better but inflation is benign,” Jitipol Puksamatanan, Bangkok-based chief strategist at Krung Thai Bank Pcl, said. “This characteristic could be considered as the best of breed among EM currencies.” He expects the baht to strengthen to 30.7 per dollar by end-2019.

Yes, and of course he’s selling Baht...

17 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yes.....

From Bloomberg.

As the USD continues to slide in value vs. the Baht, it is near its highs vs the Vietnam Dong.

• Like 1

And the Australian dollar crashing in the past 24 hours isn't exactly a great start to the new year. Today at 22.41, from 24.10 just a month ago. It's starting to hurt, and they're saying that it will lose another 10% of its value against the US$ this year. Just wondering out loud - has anyone found a way of transferring AUD here and eliminating the outrageous fees with a standard CBA transfer? The $22 transfer fee is bad enough, but when you add on the US interchange touch-up with every transfer being sent via JP Morgan before it gets to Bangkok Bank it's now ridiculous.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Have you seen the up-to-date rates of Jan 3?

Baht rockets.

TT at Bangkok Bank:

USD 31.96

GBP 39.95

EUR 36.178 (!)

Things are getting worse for the Western currencies here. Since I have no family ties here, Vietnam is looking better every day.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yes.....

From Bloomberg.

I find this BS...

Thailand is a under military and growth in 2018 under 4%

meantime Vietnam locked over 7% growth in 2018 but THB is up on VND by 5%

something something smells here 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Things are getting worse for the Western currencies here. Since I have no family ties here, Vietnam is looking better every day.

The Baht is going up in 'price'.

The Baht is not freely and openly traded

What does this mean? What's the opposite of freely and openly traded?

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

The Baht is going up in 'price'.

The Baht is not freely and openly traded

What does this mean? What's the opposite of freely and openly traded?

that means outside Thailand severe restrictions do exist. as simple as that.

Dear Client,

Thai Baht Currency Restrictions

Further to the Bank of Thailand’s Measure No. 33/2003 (Additional Measure to Prevent Thai Baht Speculation), which came into effect in October 2003, XYZ Bank, Singapore Branch is subject to restrictions affecting its holdings of Thai Baht currency.   These include the following:

Maintaining THB accounts in Thailand for settlement purposes only, where settlement means the settlement of securities transactions and cash payment transactions.   The exception is for deposits of a tenor of at least 6 months or more.

Forfeiture of credit interest on its accounts (other than deposits of a tenor of at least 6 months or more)

Ensuring that the aggregated end of day balances for cash accounts with all financial institutions in Thailand do not exceed THB 300 million (the “Daily THB Limit”)

Imposition of deposit charge on THB account balances.

In relation to the Daily THB Limit, XYZ Bank, Singapore Branch will be required to adjust its Thai Baht balances in all its client accounts to be compliant with the permitted level as determined by the Thai authorities on a daily basis.  As such accounts may include balances in Thai Baht held on your behalf, it is critical that we are able to adjust client THB balances to ensure compliance.

Accordingly, at any time that you are holding a long position in THB, we reserve the right in our absolute discretion and without prior notice to you to convert your holding of THB, in whole or part, into United States dollars at the prevailing spot rate.

Yours truly,

XYZ Bank, Singapore Branch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AtoZ said:

I find this BS...

Thailand is a under military and growth in 2018 under 4%

meantime Vietnam locked over 7% growth in 2018 but THB is up on VND by 5%

something something smells here 

You mention Thai military but somehow miss Vietnam CP. The point being that CP is more positive but opinion kept out of sight? Did someone use the word "smelly"?

13 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Decisive currency movements can knock one off one's perch. Plus throw in inflation. How uncomfortable is it to reduce one's expenditure if required is the question.

37 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Decisive currency movements can knock one off one's perch. Plus throw in inflation. How uncomfortable is it to reduce one's expenditure if required is the question.

If you have to give up girls and wine, why stay in Thailand?

• Thanks 1

The piece in BP a month or so ago,leading Thai academic stated Prayat and his bunch have about 3 months after the election to sort the pressing needs of the population to any degree,after that,and the yolk of military rule erased will give greater freedom of expression,which is a good thing in reality as military rule will be re re stablished which would lead to international sanctions being placed on Thailand

17 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

And the Australian dollar crashing in the past 24 hours isn't exactly a great start to the new year. Today at 22.41, from 24.10 just a month ago. It's starting to hurt, and they're saying that it will lose another 10% of its value against the US$ this year. Just wondering out loud - has anyone found a way of transferring AUD here and eliminating the outrageous fees with a standard CBA transfer? The $22 transfer fee is bad enough, but when you add on the US interchange touch-up with every transfer being sent via JP Morgan before it gets to Bangkok Bank it's now ridiculous.

Hi have a look at Transfer wise and Orbit remit both supply a site were you can check how much you will receive  today for $1000.00 cost both will pay out  approximately 22,300 Baht into your Bank account Note whilst T W have a slightly higher charge the exchange rates are higher thus it averages out to toss a coin  PS I use Both 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Just this month my rent has increased, my barber raised his prices, and I noticed several price increases at Tops and Makro. Inflation is worse than what the Thai government states.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SheungWan said:

11 hours ago, Henryford said:

If you have to give up girls and wine, why stay in Thailand?

Reduction in expenditure does not necessarily imply a binary on/off switch on spending categories.

6 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Just this month my rent has increased, my barber raised his prices, and I noticed several price increases at Tops and Makro. Inflation is worse than what the Thai government states.

A haircut costs 100 baht or so. Hardly a game changer. Rent increase can be fixed by moving to a cheaper location. Inflation can be counteracted by eating cheaper.

Edited by SheungWan

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 7:41 PM, SheungWan said:

A haircut costs 100 baht or so. Hardly a game changer. Rent increase can be fixed by moving to a cheaper location. Inflation can be counteracted by eating cheaper.

same here, I don't care about petrol prices for instance, I only tank for 500 Baht a time