Is their a social prejudice amongst Thais toward Thai/Caucasian marriages?

JimmyJ

Over a number of years I observed a Thai friend of mine, head of the administration department in a large MNC working very hard to introduce Thai women to expats assigned to the Bangkok Office where she worked.

I also witnessed her response when an expat friend of mine ask her if she could introduce him to some of the single Thai women in the office, rather than only introducing him to the divorced women and single mothers. 

You are kidding yourself if you believe 'rich(er) Farang' is the first choice. 

• Thanks 1

I think most people on TV would assume that a couple composed of an elderly farang male and a thai female 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 (!) his age met in a bar. I don't think the application of that particular stereotype is any more or less common among Thais than farangs.

Edited by jerry921
removed off-topic part of post

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

I think most people on TV would assume that a couple composed of an elderly farang male and a thai female 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 (!) his age met in a bar. I don't think the application of that particular stereotype is any more or less common among Thais than farangs.

Also I think in general - at least in the US - an older woman with a man 15 or more years younger and most people will first think "She's his sugar mama" or something similar.

Actually, there's just a lot of prejudice in general or at least negative thoughts about couples with noticeable age disparities.

(Some of it jealousy which turns to resentfulness).

I'm gonna go with the previous comments.

Age is often what puts people off. If it's the 60 year old white guy with the 20 something Thai lady, and to be frank that turns my stomach too.

Unfortunately, truth be told that accounts for a lot of farang/thai couples.

I 'think' it's even more prejudice when said couple go back to farang land, or maybe ridicule might me more apt. The phrase 'Mail Order Bride' comes to mind!

Thankfully me and Mrs G are just both old farts so we avoid that LOL

Edited by GinBoy2

On 3/6/2018 at 8:06 PM, poanoi said:

that is not my impression. for instance they genuinely think mix thai/white children 

are the best looking children, and would like to breed for this reason alone

I`ve been offering myself as a white stud to Thai women for years, but so far none of them have taken me up on my offer. It seems they are more interested in my donating money to them rather than my sperm.

Actually; middle and upper class Thai families perceive daughters if forming relationships with white guys as going down the social status ladder and if forming relationships with black, Indian or middle eastern guys as really sinking to the bottom depths. Not being racist, it`s just the way it is in Thai society.

Most middle and upper class Thai women, would much prefer to partner with Thai men rather than foreigners. True.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I`ve been offering myself as a white stud to Thai women for years, but so far none of them have taken me up on my offer. It seems they are more interested in my donating money to them rather than my sperm.

Actually; middle and upper class Thai families perceive daughters if forming relationships with white guys as going down the social status ladder and if forming relationships with black, Indian or middle eastern guys as really sinking to the bottom depths. Not being racist, it`s just the way it is in Thai society.

Most middle and upper class Thai women, would much prefer to partner with Thai men rather than foreigners. True.

if you are above age 40, they wont want to breed any longer,

been there observed that, from this point on

they get more interested in your money as you correctly noted

Edited by poanoi

One reason I enjoy village life, being close, and, accepted by my Thai family, this offers the opportunity to earn respect by actions to assist others, by the way I treat my wife and her family, by the way I relate to, and consider others in the village. It is possible, while you remain a farang husband, to also build a perception of who you are as a person. Not really possible in the swirl of the fleeting moment metropolis.

I am very aware of the attention, or not, my family receive, in general it is very good, but then my wife is rightly well respected, and I for want of a better phrase can easily give the impression I 'know my place' :smile: In reality I do what needs to be done to get us where we want to be :smile: in a very relaxed way.

I have always found Thai people very friendly with the occasional exception. My in laws were welcoming but a little suspicious at first, understandable. Now seeing how I have blended in rather than 'take over' I feel I have their respect.

I do however make sure the children have friends, and keep a keen eye out, that I might spot any difficulty they are experiencing. To date I noticed my son was happy when he could wangle a day off school, same day most times. Apparently it turns out this day they do chanting and he does not enjoy it!! :smile:

On 07/03/2018 at 3:40 PM, ResandePohm said:

I am sorry if you are offended by the word Farang but I find it a useful word to use sometimes and it really is no more rasist than you saying "All Asians". 

But to get back to your statement; I would suggest that Thai women are equally looked down upon in Farangland and are mostly considered to be Immoral Bargirls (prostitutes).  So if this is part of bad education here, as you say, then it follows that it is eqaully part of bad education in Farangland. Nothing to do with SE Asia but to do with bad education

Where is farang land . Don’t understand what country is that. Maybe all part of bad Education.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Where is farang land . Don’t understand what country is that. Maybe all part of bad Education.

It's a mythical land where the people are all white, the cops are all honest, and the politicians do the will of the people.

• Haha 1