Stay during Songran

Songkran18

Exited about my first trip to Thailand which is top heavy with days in N. Thailand. I arrive on 11Apr, but go on an excursion on 15Apr, leaving me out of Sunday Night Market. Because of Songran;  is the Night Market expanded with other dates during festive days ?  

Thanks 

I always take a walk along the moat for one day during Songkran. Take some pictures, get wet, laugh a lot... But one day is enough for me. I'd like it better if they left out the ice. Never could understand the reasoning behind that.

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I'd like it better if they left out the ice. Never could understand the reasoning behind that.

I'd say it is to inflict pain or maximum discomfort.

Like aiming for the face to knock people off bikes.  Lordy, what fun it is! 

Minor terminology quibble:

The Night Market usually refers to the stalls on Chang Klan Road every night.  It is more popular with tourists than Thai people.

The Sunday Walking Street refers to the Sunday-only market on Rachadamnoen Road near Tha Pae Gate.  It is much more popular than the Night Market.

The Saturday Market is along Wua Lai Road south of the moat.  It is similar to the Sunday Walking Street; it is not as big, but still big enough to satisfy most people's shopping needs.

Songkran is not as crazy as it was in year's past, but still a good time.  I advise avoiding Loi Kroh Road; that's where drunk backpackers try to inflict injury with water in the name of "fun".

For me, the real sanook is walking around the neighborhood and letting the kids douse me ... once. Unfortunately, the 90+ year old village matriarch, Mae Noi, who I would go to for blessing/lustration has passed away.

For visitors, the lodging I'd recommend would depend on their age, lifestyle,  resource$, the extent they came here to go carnivalesque-crazy, etc. But, Thapae Gate, or western moat, areas: no way.

~o:37;

Archived