Non-B visa expires, how long can I extend my stay without working

If 50 or over or married to a Thai or the legal parent of a Thai you could apply for a one year extension of stay.

If not then you would need to leave the country to get a tourist visa.

Another option is to join Thailand Elite to get a visa that is valid for 5 years. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks ubonjoe:smile:. I plan to stay for awhile. Shall i request first for a 30 days extension of stay (or do they give only 7 days?) from the local immigration or get a tourist visa right away?

Another thing, my work permit expires April 30. I plan to go to labor office and immigration (to cancel my work permit) a week earlier so as to give me more leeway. When will their count take effect- the day i go there or April 30? Thanks:smile::smile:

43 minutes ago, kid2go said:

Shall i request first for a 30 days extension of stay (or do they give only 7 days?) from the local immigration or get a tourist visa right away?

There is no 30 day extension you can apply for. You would only get 7 day to leave the country after the application was denied after paying the 1900 baht fee.

45 minutes ago, kid2go said:

Another thing, my work permit expires April 30. I plan to go to labor office and immigration (to cancel my work permit) a week earlier so as to give me more leeway. When will their count take effect- the day i go there or April 30? Thanks:smile::smile:

If you cancel your extension prior to April 30th they will post date the cancellation to the 30th. That would allow you to leave the country on or before the 30th.

I can get away from paying the 1,900 baht fee, right?:smile:Say, cancel my work permit and go to local immigration a week earlier then get a tourist visa on or before April 30 in Ventianne/ Savannaket. That's my plan.:smile: Will that work?

2 minutes ago, kid2go said:

I can get away from paying the 1,900 baht fee, right?:smile:Say, cancel my work permit and go to local immigration a week earlier then get a tourist visa on or before April 30 in Ventianne/ Savannaket. That's my plan.:smile: Will that work?

You only need to leave the country on or before the 30th. Then you can apply for a tourist visa.

2 minutes ago, kid2go said:

i wish we can have more people like you. you've been a lot of help.thanks a lot:partytime2:

Be aware the 1st of May is a Lao holiday for International Labor day. The embassy and consulate will be closed.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, kid2go said:

Thanks ubonjoe:smile:. I plan to stay for awhile. Shall i request first for a 30 days extension of stay (or do they give only 7 days?) from the local immigration or get a tourist visa right away?

Hi, my non-B visa extension ends of April 29, and my work permit ends in July. I am quitting this month, so i will need to cancel my work permit and I will apply for a non-O dependent visa on my (foreigner) spouse work permit/non-B.

How to cancel it? Can I cancel it myself at the labour department and if so, is there a special letter to get the employer to sign? (The company will be happy to help but I need to prepare it). I check on the lab our department website but can’t find any.

I trust there will be also some tax checking involved?

Any advice would be greatly welcome :)

Normally your company will cancel the permit for you, they are also the ones that requested it and sponsored it. They need to submit a letter and get that part done, you should not have to worry about that.

You should go to the related immigration office , cancel your Non-B Visa, ask (and pay for) an extension for a week and prepare or request the extension right away.

You need to get this Non O marriage request started at your local immigration within this one week after you have cancelled your Non B.

You can get (and pay for) a month extension for the time needed for a review of your request by immigration.

At least this is how it worked in my case.