Chiang Kham air quality

sabaijai

I'm planning to stay in Chiang Kham for a few days starting tomorrow. The weather forecast is good, but I can't find any info on current air quality. Is anyone on the forum living or visiting Chiang Kham now have any comments on how the air looks at the moment? Thanks. 

Indeed, it's smokey up North.

In Phrae province there is sunny weather, today 37 degrees Celsius. Only problem bad air.

So, may I suggest taking the next plane to BKK/DMK or UTP(Utapao) would be much better?

And then further South or East...

Some screenshots thanks to http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/air-quality/map.php

(Pink means Unhealthy. And that is what it is.)

image.png.5d0c35b7dcf8f606adf3adc132329b57.png

image.png.7b589be9a2495dbd7a3a63929830c55c.png

image.png.3d2999d1e8078bedb868e36388aff5c2.png

image.png.3c91fa52eb749bf913bd8e69489dcd84.png

And now some numbers, but don't forget the  power plants near Lampang.

I think this all is a mix from China, Worldwide, seasonal techniques, Slash & Burn etc. :

VIIRS detected 1,868 hot spots in Cambodia, 185 in Laos, 77 in Myanmar, 217 in Thailand, and 114 in Vietnam. The large number of fires in Cambodia were the most VIIRS has observed on a single day in 2018. The pattern is consistent with recent years: As depicted in the map below, the instrument has detected four-to-five times as many fires in northern Cambodia as it did in Vietnam and Thailand between August 2016 and February 2018. Northern Laos also had a relatively high number of fires.

cambodia_vir_2018034_chart.png

Source:
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sabaijai said:

Chiang Kham is closer to Phayao than to Chiang Rai (50km vs 85km) and the AQI in Phayao district today is a moderate 76. 

I'll be in Chiang Kham on business, just hoping for the best. 

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/phayao/knowledge-park/

Phayao shows only the AQI for Pm10 and not the AQI for PM2.5!

Be prepared for a Pm2.5 AQi of 150 - 200 ... (Mask N95)

I'm in Chiang Kham now, 92km NE of Phayao. Skies are mostly blue, and there's no smell of smoke. Nothing like what I experienced in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai in the previous couple of weeks, so it's a welcome relief. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sabaijai said:

I'm in Chiang Kham now, 92km NE of Phayao. Skies are mostly blue, and there's no smell of smoke. Nothing like what I experienced in Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai in the previous couple of weeks, so it's a welcome relief. 

You can not smell Pm2.5 and the visibility depends on so many different factors ...

I for myself trust my own Pm2.5 meters :smile: . I live only 90km away from chiang kham

and we have at the moment for the AQI (PM2.5)  161 = unhealthy for everyone!!  

have a nice and successful stay