Death of Year 10 student in Buriram: song thaew driver, other motorcyclist deny negligence

webfact

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You can see in the video that he doesn't look!!!  His head is at no point turned to the right, he doesn't slow down, he just rides straight out into the flow of traffic. Denied negligence?  This is manslaughter in my book. 

A Thai that admits fault, is there such a thing , I t would be a first in my book

I am a scooter driver and I have noticed several times ( not every time ) that there are people coming ( often other scooters ) from the left, who turn not even looking if somebody is coming from the main road

as for me, I always look if somebody is coming from the left when I am on the main road

this accident was avoidable, even the 10 years boy could have swerved it if he looked on the left

While Sutthichai Somjit, 23, who was riding the motorcycle that came out of the side soi suddenly, also denied negligence. He blamed the deceased student who got tangled in his handlebars and hit the tarmac. It was not his fault that he was crushed under the wheels of the song thaew, he has claimed.

unbelievable lock them both up and throw the key away, both as bad as each other and far to much of this sort of stuff going on in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

"Plai Nuanprakhon, 63, the 6 wheel song thaew driver that crushed the boy to death has told police that he did not flee the accident.

He said he saw the accident but didn't believe it involved him. He had no idea that he had run over the boy and just drove on."

B*++*%>s!!!!!  

"While Sutthichai Somjit, 23, who was riding the motorcycle that came out of the side soi suddenly, also denied negligence. He blamed the deceased student who got tangled in his handlebars and hit the tarmac. It was not his fault that he was crushed under the wheels of the song thaew, he has claimed."

B*++*%>s again!!!!!

I can't believe they make these statements!  They're living in cuckoo land!

I presume both these tossers have seen the video!  The side soi motorcyclist caused the accident, without a shadow of a doubt.  Then, was more interested in his jeans and any damage to his bike.  He should be locked-up just for being a spineless excuse of a human being, who couldn't give a rat's arse about anybody but himself. 

The songthaew driver could do nothing to avoid the poor lad, but should have stopped; probably thinking of losing money on his next trip.

What a pathetic pair of idiots!  Thailand can be proud of them, upholding the Thai tradition!

Barstools like this are two a Penny in this country, no respect for anything unless it has a Monetary value.

3 hours ago, z42 said:

Completely agree Colin. If the CCTV has any role in establishing the cause of the accident this moronic individual should take the rap 100% for causing the crash.

The songthaew driver was going too fast and should have stopped, but I don't see how he could have avoided driving over the poor kid's body.

Cops here are a joke and a disgrace ? they need to man up and hammer the motorcycle rider who caused the crash. Nothing else would be acceptable imo 

The songthaew driver was not driving too fast because have a good look, everything including the student passed the songthaew but he should have stopped at the accident. The 23 year old rider that came out of the side soi is the only person at fault for causing this accident.

2 hours ago, Toscano said:

The Songthaew was so close to where the young man fell that I do not believe he would have seen the accident ; he would likely have felt an unusual bump and may have heard the noise of motorcycles crashing .  Were there no people in the back of the songthaew ?

The driver of the Song thaew did see the accident as he has admitted to as much to the RTP

The swerve he started to make just before he ran the student over confirms this

Whether you believe his claim that he drove on because he did not think he was involved is up for debate

My own personal opinion is that he is a liar I just cant believe that you would not have a very strong suspicion as to what had just happened

Even though it happened so fast the brain still registers events and this last statement is not intended as a Thai bashing opportunity

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aforek said:

I am a scooter driver and I have noticed several times ( not every time ) that there are people coming ( often other scooters ) from the left, who turn not even looking if somebody is coming from the main road

as for me, I always look if somebody is coming from the left when I am on the main road

this accident was avoidable, even the 10 years boy could have swerved it if he looked on the left

He clearly looked to the left. But as he scanned to the left, he somehow completely missed the idiot about to crash into him.

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

I thought I was the only one to notice him pick up his mobile, I wonder how it came out of his pocket? Could it be that it was never in his pocket, that he was looking at it when he ran into the student? Check your phone, check your clothing and check your motorbike, but don't bother to check the condition of the poor kid whose death you caused, you low life scum.

I think you are the only one that did notice him pick it up off the ground. I was merely referring that he was more concerned by being on his mobile, mate you have bloody good eyes, I played it again and saw it, otherwise if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have know the difference, although it is hard to know if he was on it in my opinion, although he did pick it up off the ground, now the cops will have to work out if he was on it, or if it fell out of his pocket, trouser/jacket/bag, or indeed if it was his and he was on the mobile texting/reading, and not the poor guys mobile that passed, but how low can you stoop in the Land of Smiles ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, realfunster said:

The other motorbike rider at fault, clear as day.

One of my pet peeves when driving is the all too regular motorbike turn left without looking. 

What I noticed in the picture of the scene is that the joining road has a stop line for cars but the slip/motorbike lane just continues unabated onto the main road. They should change the lane markings to make it clear motorbikes need to stop and check as well. 

There is no bike lane or slip lane from a local soi to a main priority road, they are only where a priority road meets another priority road where you have the wide shoulders which are classified as bike lanes, there are no bike lanes on local soi's, therefore he was supposed to stop for the stop sign and the stopping line before proceeding onto the priority road also if he had of reduced his speed then he could have safely ridden alongside the student without hitting him, there is room for the 2 bikes as you can see after the accident that a woman on a bike comes out of the soi at a much slower speed than the boy does and she remains well to the left of the bike lane with no problem.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

The accident was caused by the idiot turning onto the main road, neither looking /slowing, just out, not even into the left, but straight out into the line of traffic.

The song thaew driver was not at fault over the accident, but was 100% at fault for not stopping.

.....I have noticed that Thais rarely look at you when they are doing something obviously wrong or stupid on the roads, which they frequently do, such as pulling out in front of you. It is as if they think that if they avoid eye contact and  pretend not to see you it never happened. It works until they get killed!

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Completely agree Colin. If the CCTV has any role in establishing the cause of the accident this moronic individual should take the rap 100% for causing the crash.

The songthaew driver was going too fast and should have stopped, but I don't see how he could have avoided driving over the poor kid's body.

Cops here are a joke and a disgrace ? they need to man up and hammer the motorcycle rider who caused the crash. Nothing else would be acceptable imo 

Disagree. The songthaew driver was not going too fast. Look again. He was the slowest vehicle on the road. All others are passing him on the right, and even undertaking on the left. Pity it wasnt side Soi biker that got crushed, as he certainly deserved it instead.

• Like 2

The son of a <deleted> that turned left, didn't stop at the stop line, didn't look, was on the phone and caused the death of that young kid should be charged with manslaughter and jailed!! None of this finally pleading guilty, offering a wai and 1000 baht and away you go bullshit! Jail the stupid <deleted>!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Both of them are pathetic... I hope karma will hit back soon and hard.

Disgusted.

Should you believe in Karma...as I do...

...You'll also probably believe too wishing others harm is not very good for our own karma :smile:

No excuse here. whoever runs the mortar bike who makes a left turn does not comply with his duty. guilty.
The same is the parents of the 10 year old boy who died trakically. They let their son ride a mortar bike even though he had no license. If they had been more responsible for their actions, their son would still be alive today

1 minute ago, farq said:

re you always this childish and ignorant or are you making a special effort today?!

Motorbike driver Stupid to deny careless driving and causing death ! Along with driver who killed the kid for not stopping - though I have a little sympathy for him in the sense that his auto probably has a rubbish suspension and he'd probably not feel it if he ran over an elephant.

Hopefully people will learn from this tragedy. I have no idea how Drivers are taught to merge on left turns but it needs to change. Dangerous merging happens everywhere in Thailand. Although I don’t know the history but think Chinese taught them to drive. Driving in China is much the same. God bless the boy and his family. 

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not buying it. Have you ever been driving and run over something? Even if it's only a small object like a stone or a small piece of wood, you can feel it. There's no way you could drive over a human body without noticing it.

If you have ever driven a truck you would know that the suspension is nothing like a car and the weight of the truck and the small body frame of the boy and with the rough roads in Thailand I would say that there would be a possibility that the driver did not notice going over the boy. It would be different if he went over the bike because the bike has no give in it.

I would be a little on the cautious side on whether the driver felt the boy because the driver did attempt to swerve to the right which may have been a rougher bumpier surface, so I would reserve my judgement on the driver not feeling the bump but didn't any of the passengers in the back see the boys body and try and stop the bus

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Hopefully people will learn from this tragedy. I have no idea how Drivers are taught to merge on left turns but it needs to change. Dangerous merging happens everywhere in Thailand. Although I don’t know the history but think Chinese taught them to drive. Driving in China is much the same. God bless the boy and his family. 

I dont think anybody taught them to drive

sorry had to edit totally missed a word out

Edited by oldlakey
  • Sad 1

everytime I get on the road i have to deal with mindless punks like the mc driver coming out to the main road. they never look right or left, never even see if it is safe. that's why when ever i get near any of them I lay on my horn! some of them give me the stink eye but i give it right back and slow down all the while looking them in the face!,  as if i am going to blouse their stupid lips, usually that does it. but you can neve, never relax on the road here. 

I am so sorry for the families loss of a son. I am at awe why they would allow him to ride on a highway without wearing a helmet. I could see he was riding legally by keeping to the leftmost lane, and he could not move to the right anymore as another motorbike was in the way. But was he old enough to be riding a motorbike on the highway at all?

I also noted another comment partially blaming the accident on poor lane markings? From my experience few people here pay attention to such markings at all. Many just drive as if they own the road. 

Personally, I ride my motorbike daily in Bangkok traffic, primarily Ladphrao Rd and Rachadaphisek. I usually keep to the left except in the rare instances there is no traffic in other lanes. Yes, I also gamble riding between lanes of cars also, as why ride a motorbike if not easier to navigate heavy traffic, right? But I usually try to stay to the right side of that left lane because of frequent drivers merging without looking. 

I hope the child will rest in peace, and the soul of the idiot causing the accident will be tormented eternally. (I say his soul as it is apparent from his comments as quoted that he has zero regrets for the child he killed)