PCX 2018 vs Nmax 2018

maxipeon

1 hour ago, properperson said:

Its a scooter <deleted> !

Aerox has disc on the front and drum on the rear...

Thats ok for the performance of the bike.

Many seem to agree - Aerox now Yamaha's best selling bike.

MacDonald's its much selling foods.

But can say its good or healthy food.

So best selling its nothing to say.

And for tall guys its not really comfort..

Nmax have rear disc break. 

;)

12 hours ago, ardokano said:

MacDonald's its much selling foods.

But can say its good or healthy food.

So best selling its nothing to say.

And for tall guys its not really comfort..

Nmax have rear disc break. 

;)

nothing to do with food - stupid comparison....

Aerox outselling the N Max 2 to 1 - even out selling all the Yamaha super bikes - the public have spoken !

so you're tall - Most people aren't hence the Aerox's popularity.

The Aero's wider diameter / wider wheels n tyres and devilish good looks - trounces the Pug ugly N Max's rear disc any day i'm afraid.

Soz and all that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, properperson said:

Aerox outselling the N Max 2 to 1 - even out selling all the Yamaha super bikes - the public have spoken !

The Aero's wider diameter / wider wheels n tyres and devilish good looks - trounces the Pug ugly N Max's rear disc any day i'm afraid.

Soz and all that.

Good look?:) for me all japanes  style scooters look ugly. So not see big difference.

I not say any. But Nazism be more popular than aerox's.

So popularity nothing to say..

Look at fact. N Max more effective breaking, sit more comfortably , the fuel tank is larger . So it bettered scooter than aerox.

Edited by ardokano

• 6 months later...

Take the honda hands down. I get high 50s to low 60s klm/perliter. Plus a larger gas tank. Higher resale value. Honda has 70%  of the motorcycle market here in thailand for a reason. I know people who bought the yamaha just to sell  it after a couple of months for a loss and buy the PCX. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

PCX owner here..

I don't like that Honda didn't put ABS on its 2018 Thai PCX. 

Honda's only advantage is a few kms savings in fuel.

Not sure which one is more comfy as i haven't ridden an Nmax yet.

Get the Nmax, ABS is very useful in Thai roads, rains, Thai drivers..

• Like 2

On 3/21/2018 at 11:04 PM, properperson said:

Soz and all that.

You look quite upset, aren't you?

If I follow you:

* a Toyota Yaris is better than a Porsche 911, because people buy Yaris more than 911s?

* an economy seat is better than a 1st class seat, because most people travel in eco class?

* a McDo meal is better than a 5-star meal, ...?

And so on, lol

Regarding style, you (meaning, you) prefer the Aerox design, fine!

Others might prefer the Nmax one! 

You refer to the "devilish good look", a little bit of overreacting, maybe?

On a pure spec approach having disk and ABS on both wheels is much better and safer, sorry to disappoint you.

BTW, which bike is the best performer? The Yamaha R1M or the Yamaha GT125? lol

To each his own!

On 10/8/2018 at 2:43 AM, tropo said:

I shake my head too, (and laugh) when people debate fuel economy on a scooter. On a weekly petrol bill, the difference would be insignificant. If it was significant, you're too broke to live in Thailand. 

+1 

On 10/8/2018 at 2:43 AM, tropo said:

I shake my head too, (and laugh) when people debate fuel economy on a scooter. On a weekly petrol bill, the difference would be insignificant. If it was significant, you're too broke to live in Thailand. 

People just want to justify their choice to feel good about it; fuel consumption is one of the variable when choosing any ride. It isn't about saving a few baht per liter. Ridiculous, but some people even think that  a 5 kph more top speed is also a factor in deciding. 

9 minutes ago, alx123 said:

People just want to justify their choice to feel good about it; fuel consumption is one of the variable when choosing any ride. It isn't about saving a few baht per liter. Ridiculous, but some people even think that  a 5 kph more top speed is also a factor in deciding. 

The most important thing about a scooter to me is how much shopping I can carry on it (without a box - don't want a box). It's the reason why I didn't buy a PCX when they first came out. A scooter is no more to me than A to B transport. I also shake my head when I see people customize them to make them look extra flashy. It's not a thing of pride and the rougher it looks the less likely it will be stolen and the less new scratches concern me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2018 at 10:09 AM, VocalNeal said:

That is down to aerodynamics.

Quick and dirty calculation reveals that for 80 kph you need to use about 4.5hp but for 120 kph you need 13.5hp  so 3l/100kms up to 5 seems reasonable. 

General consensus is that Yamaha's have better build quality but Hondas are more popular. Go figure. Yamaha is mechanically more advanced. If one is into mechanical stuff.  

I must strongly disagree with yamaha having better build quality particularly in the very competitively priced aeros and nmax.  It can be seen in the materials, tires and quality of parts and fittings.  Maybe yamaha does on some bikes.  The nmax is a better bike for the money and maybe a better bike period but the build quality of the pcx is far better imho.

Edited by losworld
ss

On 11/25/2018 at 10:57 PM, pookett said:

Not the latest models but I have been riding 3/4 year old Nmax and PCX alternately for a little while, mostly around town and major local roads, no motorways.

Most noticeable differences are;

Honda is bigger and more solid feeling.

Yamaha can be thrown around more, like a 125 so more usable in heavy traffic.

Honda has larger under seat storage.

Yamaha has lower seat height, think about your pillion trying to clamber on, my wife hated the PCX for this reason.

I'm on the short side and much prefer the Nmax for comfort, riding position is more relaxed, I'm always reshuffling on the PCX.

Honda suspension is a bit rough (remember older bike), Yamaha is VERY noticeably smoother.

Honda is prettier, nicer display etc.

Yamaha filler cap is fiddly.

Yamaha deffo has more power on hand and delivers it smoothly over a wider band than the Honda, on hills you are aware of "trying" with the PCX but merely cruise without a care on the Yammy.

Nmax rear disc brake, just this could be a decision maker!

Yamaha cheaper.

Honda keeps better 2nd hand value.

Honda has far more dealers and support, there is always one nearby.

Fuel consumption, really didn't notice any difference in real use here.

I would say the Yamaha has aged better than the Honda in pretty much every way.

From a bikers POV (if possible for a scooter!) the Yamaha wins convincingly for me.

From an investment and ease of ownership POV the Honda is way ahead.

As I'm in the market for one of these, my next move is to rent the latest models and reassess from there

nice breakdown but i thought the combination of long wheelbase, low seating and small tires made the nmax feel a bit odd when first riding it even a bit tipsy (no i wasn't drinking) and it always had a disadvantage of not being able to see the front of the tire when navigating through tight traffic... the fuel cap is ridiculously cheap but the suspension is briliant... the motor could be smoother and is a bit noisy... and although solid on the highway it does suffer from crosswinds due to weight and shape...

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys just butt in to this topic for nmax vs PCX... i just want to ask this question hope you will help me for buying any of this two because its my deciding factor for choosing which is better between the two...  i already test this two scooter:

In terms of suspension PCX is good than NMAX.

in terms of speed NMAX.

in terms of comfort while driving both are good.

in terms of break system NMAX.

in terms of looks PCX.

in terms of accessories PCX. (the key just press the botton).

in terms of fuel efficiency PCX.

in terms of security? in terms of GTA?

and who among you own NMAX?

and who among you own PCX?

can you share some of your experience?

thank you for the big help for those who share there thoughts in this forum...  

• Like 2

I have Pcx  soon for the last 10 000,- km, and my next 150 bike will be a Pcx. Nmax I have driven a couple 100 km, and for me I fit better on a Pcx and the space it gives you when go shopping. Whatever you choose you can not go wrong. The abs on a 150 is something I can not say on tv. 

22 minutes ago, tatoynewbie17 said:

hi guys just butt in to this topic for nmax vs PCX... i just want to ask this question hope you will help me for buying any of this two because its my deciding factor for choosing which is better between the two...  i already test this two scooter:

In terms of suspension PCX is good than NMAX.

in terms of speed NMAX.

in terms of comfort while driving both are good.

in terms of break system NMAX.

in terms of looks PCX.

in terms of accessories PCX. (the key just press the botton).

in terms of fuel efficiency PCX.

in terms of security? in terms of GTA?

and who among you own NMAX?

and who among you own PCX?

can you share some of your experience?

thank you for the big help for those who share there thoughts in this forum...  

What means GTA?

[between PCX and NMax............. ]

Aerox.

Looks like we've reached a deciding factor between the two scooters.

As much as I prefer riding the Nmax, it's the PCX coming out on top.

It's a feature that has not changed on the Nmax from older to newer models that knocks it out of the running.

The pillions foot pegs! The Nmax has them just a little too far forward. For a shorter rider like myself when I put my leg down for a stop, the pillions foot (even far back on the rests) and back of my leg meet. Uncomfortable and annoying for both rider and pillion. If you're taller or at least leggy, this won't be a worry.

I'm now trying to find a used Forza,  but if that does not work out, I will for sure get the NMax,  with ABS on both wheels and more powerful engine, 155cc and four valves, nothing comes close to it. ABS alone could save you from a fall or an accident and save your life, PCX doesn't even bother with a disk on the back,  that's how much Honda cares about breaking and your safety in 2018 (although they have ABS on European version,  this is how they care about Thai/Asian crowd. And I don't buy the argument it cost too much, NMax cost even less and has it.) .... 

Footpegs location alone can't possibly be a good reason to choose a scooter,  but each to his own,  good luck... 

In addition to Nev's observation that the NMax is somewhat under powered for his riding circumstances, I highly commend the Page 4 posters of this thread for their first hand comparison of features between the NMax and the PCX that should help anyone with their decision making.????

I used to live on Samui, but since March this year I have been living in Hua Hin.

On Samui, the local cops were all driving  black and red PCX 150s. Just before I moved away from the island, they were all given new bikes: the all white N-Max.

When I arrived in Hua Hin, again, the cops were all driving the white N-Max. However, I was used to Honda and so bought a new PCX 150. I paid extra to have some metal plates with foot grips placed on the foot runners and also a box was added on the back. 

The new PCX  has only a choice of 4 colours: red; white; black; and grey. My previous PCX had been black and white, so for a change, this time I chose red. And I am very happy with my choice.

Out of interest, I rented an N-Max for a few days. It looked about 18 months old, or older, and so was not as new as the ones driven by the cops.

The Thai shop, I rented it from, was charging 500 per day. They had three PCXs, which looked about 3 or 4 years old. The rental price for these was 400 per day.

I used to have a PCX which was 5 years old and so similar to these at the Thai shop: it had a cruising speed of 60 - 80 km/h, and unlike the recent PCXs, a traditional key for ignition.

Anyway, I had the N-Max for a few days. It has 155 cc. I did notice the extra 5 cc seemed to give it a bit more bite on acceleration. 

Secondly, when stretching your legs forward (I am 5’ 10” or 1.78 m), there was room on the raised foot plate for the whole of the soles of my feet. On the PCX, the soles of your feet are only half covered. That doesn’t bother me, but it was something I noticed.

Thirdly, having driven off on the N-Max I stopped for a coffee. I couldn’t work out how to unlock the seat cover. The N-Max, including the new ones, have the standard ignition key. 

I played around on the internet and was able to find an N-Max owners manual. You have to put the key in the ignition and then fiddle around to get it to unlock the seat. It’s ok once you’ve done it a few times. Like anything, once you get into a routine, it works but it’s ‘fiddly’.

Also you use the key to unlock the petrol cap. Again, ok once you get the hang of .it, but still a bit ‘fiddly’.

Personally, I am happy with my PCX. I think it is better looking too. Several times, Thai women have smiled at me and have said ‘Nice bike’. I would add that I have the kind of face that only a mother could love, and she died more than 20 years ago. So they know I am not going to believe them if they say ‘Hansum man”. But being nice about my bike gets a friendly smile from me, and a ‘thank you, kind lady’.

The latest PCX 150 has a cruising speed of 90-110. My previous 5 year old  PCX cruised at 60-80 km/h. It was ok going at 100 km/h but I could sense it was a bit of a strain on the engine. No such problem with the new PCX. Of course, I still get overtaken by the bikers and everyone else going hell for leather at 140 km/h. But I don’t mind. 

I prefer the radar key on the new PCX. You can lock the bike, although I don’t bother with the alarm. Sometimes in a big car park, I can momentarily forget where I have parked the bike so you can press one of the buttons on the remote and the lights on the bike flash and there is a buzzer sound.

Also, if you are deep in thought when you walk away from the bike, you might stop and then wonder whether you remembered to lock the bike. You can check from a distance and if necessary lock it remotely without having to walk back to the bike. Yes, I agree: I am very forgetful.

However, when you buy the bike you are only given one remote key. If you want to have a spare radar key, then you would have to pay an extra 1200.

I also bought a rain cover for 400. I don’t have anywhere to park the bike at my hotel.  I keep an eye on the daily weather forecasts. If rain is expected, I always put the rain cover on. Sometimes, in Hua Hin, we have heavy downpours, and I am always worried about the rain getting into the electrical parts of the  bike and damaging them.

I also prefer the buttons on the PCX that you can press to open the seat or the petrol cap cover. No fiddling around with traditional keys.

Apart from all the cops now riding the N-Max, there is one other thing I have noticed here in Hua Hin. People have commented on this thread about the N-Max being a lot cheaper than the PCX, so you would expect all the local Thais to choose the N-Max. However, apart from the cops, 95% of the N-Maxes I have seen in HH are ridden by farang. The locals, in the main, if they want a new bigger bike have bought the PCX. There are a lot more new PCXs around than the N-Max. The new PCX is easy to spot from a distance because the rear red lights have a V shape.

So why do the locals choose the PCX? Maybe it is brand loyalty; or maybe there are more Honda dealerships around in just about every town, small or large; or maybe new parts can be ordered from Honda HQ in Bangkok within 4 days; or maybe the bikes keep their value as they age.

When I owned my previous PCX, I drove it from Samui up to Laos and back to get a new visa. It was a round trip of 3000 kms. On the last day of the trip I drove out of Chumphon towards Surathani City, a distance of about 200 kms.

I was about 40 kms out of Chumphon when the rubber drive belt broke and the bike came to halt in the middle of the highway. Fortunately, there was no other traffic on the road at that particular moment! I got off the bike and quickly pushed it off the road.

I was in the middle of nowhere. <deleted> do I do now!!! Well to cut a long story short, there was in fact, luckily for me, a small busines close by. Although the workmen couldn’t speak English, the Universe smiled on me and they took me to the manager who was a biker with a big BMW. 

He jumped on his bike, and within 10 minutes a Honda pick up truck was on site. They put my bike on the back and I got a lift to the shop. The Thai biker guy wouldn’t accept any money; he was happy just to help me. 

The Honda shop was on the other side of the Highway, below a dip in the road. I would never have noticed it if I had driven by and then broken down. 

Anyway, within 2 hours, I was back on the road and it had only cost me 1000 baht, including a tip for the mechanic.

So that’s why I will always buy Honda: their repair shops are everywhere; always friendly; know what they’re doing; and there is usually at least one person who can speak a little English.

That all happened about three years ago on my old Honda. Interestingly, to me at least, on the first day I got my new PCX I was driving around getting a feel for the bike. I pulled into a petrol station to fill up. There was a farang in front of me with a Ducati bike, so it was a manual rather than an automatic. It looked at least 500 cc, but maybe a lot more.

Having filled up, he jumped on his bike and started to drive off. As he got back onto the main road, there was a loud bang and he stopped. He got off and was looking down at his bike as I came by. 

I stopped. I could see the bike would not be going anywhere. He was French, but spoke some English. He said that the chain drive had broken. As there was a Ducati shop about 15 kms further up the road on the way to Cha am, I offered him a lift. As a real biker he seemed a bit hesitant about being seen on the back of a PCX, but eventually he swallowed his pride and climbed on the back.

So on the first day of having my new bike, the Universe had given me an opportunity to repay a debt. My fan belt had broken, I was in the middle of nowhere, but a biker got me to the nearest Honda dealership very quickly. In return,  a biker’s chain shaft had broken and I, on my automatic, was able to get him to the nearest Ducati shop to sort out a repair very quickly. The Universe moves in mysterious ways, but I guess that is all stuff and nonsense to the  hardbitten cynics on ThaiVisa, who don’t believe in such silly things.????

Anyway, the N-Max and new PCX are both good bikes. By saying I prefer the PCX I am not saying the N-Max is useless. For me, and maybe for the local Thais, the price difference is not the most important factor to take into consideration when making your choice. I am not rich. I pay 10,000 a month to live on my own in a hotel room with a hot water shower. 

Finally, it is true the N-Max has ABS, and he PCX doesn’t. If ABS is important to you then maybe wait until next year’s model comes out to see if they at least offer the option of ABS being added to the PCX as an extra.