Are you paying a "Foreign Exchange Rate" from your bank from overseas?.

4 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Also the Mastercard exchange rate calculator shown online now is total fantasy! They are clearly just using it to promote themselves as u never get those rates on purchases or ATM withdrawals. I dont know how they get away with it! The rates  on the their old website used to be quite accurate and reflected the exchange rates u would get in the real world. But not anymore.

Maybe your bank is charging you a fee? I just checked it for one of my cards where the bank is applying a 3.5% fee, and if i put these 3.5% in the "bank fee" field of the Mastercard exchange rate calculator it matches exactly my bank statement.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

Also the Mastercard exchange rate calculator shown online now is total fantasy! They are clearly just using it to promote themselves as u never get those rates on purchases or ATM withdrawals. I dont know how they get away with it! The rates  on the their old website used to be quite accurate and reflected the exchange rates u would get in the real world. But not anymore.

Not it not fantasy....it's fact...exactly on.  However a person does need to know what foreign transaction fee his card-issuing bank is charging and on which date the transaction "posted" (a.k.a., cleared, settled).

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Maybe your bank is charging you a fee? I just checked it for one of my cards where the bank is applying a 3.5% fee, and if i put these 3.5% in the "bank fee" field of the Mastercard exchange rate calculator it matches exactly my bank statement.

No fee with my UK Halifax Clarity card. Anyway....Once u take out the Thai ATM withdrawal fee, whatever it is now, it does not come close to the Transferwise rate.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SunsetT said:

No fee with my UK Halifax Clarity card. Anyway....Once u take out the Thai ATM withdrawal fee, whatever it is now, it does not come close to the Transferwise rate.

I have a another Mastercard that charges 0% fees and the bank in Germany who issues it refunds the 220THB ATM fee.

There are not many cards like this (in Germany i know only this one card), but they are possible to get.

But this card has a limit of 10k per day and 100k per month, so if i would suddenly need 200k THB, i would opt for Transferwise ;)

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1