Santander International

Following the demise of Nationwide International a number of us opened accounts with Santander International in the Isle of Man, I've found their service to be pretty good.

We were recently advised that due to some new banking regulation, something to do with ring fencing that I will admit that I don't fully understand, they were going to move the account to a new branch of Santander, still in the IoM.

The move took place last weekend and was pretty seamless and I now have Internet and telephone banking with the new account. Looking through the "new improved" website I noticed that whilst you can still carry out transfers to Thailand it seems that you cannot do transfers in THB or GBP,  which would seem to inmply that there would be two currency conversions.

Thank goodness for Transfer Wise.   

Santander are useless. I have had numerous issues with them and they made my life such a pain in the neck i now utilize another bank. The UK bank i now use lets me send money online in sterling to bkk bank so avoiding getting ripped off by currency rates. Bye bye Santander.

• Like 2

^^^^^^^

Quite agree!

Had my Lloyds Spain account become Santander and my Nationwide UK account.

Service and charges were appalling at both. Shut them down PDQ and satisfied with the replacements.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Santander are useless. I have had numerous issues with them and they made my life such a pain in the neck i now utilize another bank. The UK bank i now use lets me send money online in sterling to bkk bank so avoiding getting ripped off by currency rates. Bye bye Santander.

Hi, 

I would be interested to know what bank you switched to.

Thanks.

I logged into
my account 2 days ago and got a message 'You have no accounts to perform this action.' Still no explanation from Santander IOM.

They sent letters out last year advising of the change which would be in the first quarter of this year, got a letter last weekend advising that the change would take place that weekend.
That letter advised that they would be sending the new account details out this week or you could call and get the new account details, which I did and they also registered my Internet banking.

I find them mostly ok but only really have an account with them incase I lose my other uk bank card from another bank. I did find out the other week though that they have a limit on ATM withdrawals per month and once u reach that limit they lock your card off till the first of the next month from being used at ATM machines. But it will work in every other way.

I found this rather odd considering what they charge you when using the ATN abroad and no matter what you say or do they will not remove the ATM restriction.

14 hours ago, theoldgit said:

you could call and get the new account details, which I did and they also registered my Internet bankin

... if it was so easy, as it sounds,

some people should hurry up to check the balance on their bank accounts

- there seems to be a lot of room for serious fraud.

They sent letters out last year advising of the change which would be in the first quarter of this year, got a letter last weekend advising that the change would take place that weekend.
That letter advised that they would be sending the new account details out this week or you could call and get the new account details, which I did and they also registered my Internet banking.
I'll give them a call. What does re-registering for online banking involve?

Sent from my cell phone using Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, orientalist said:

I'll give them a call. What does re-registering for online banking involve?

Very little, even though I didn't have the new account details.

Using the old account number, after checking some personal details they gave me the new account number, membership number and sort code and then the lass asked me to pick a password, nine was ten letters and security code of six numbers.

At some stage she sent me an activation code and she stayed on the line when I was setting it up, it didn't take that long.

My only issue with the new online account is that you cannot seem to send GBP or THB to Thailand.  

15 hours ago, theoldgit said:

My only issue with the new online account is that you cannot seem to send GBP or THB to Thailand.

Presumably you could before and is only a, hopefully, short-term issue. If not then a bit of a serious flaw for an offshore account?

1 hour ago, topt said:

Presumably you could before and is only a, hopefully, short-term issue. If not then a bit of a serious flaw for an offshore account?

Yes, you could do so before and it certainly seems strange that you don't seem to be able to do so now.

I dropped them a line over the weekend.

They’ve advised me today that they are looking to reintroduce Sterling transfers via the online portal, in the meantime you can arrange a Sterling transfer by phone at the Internet charge, the guy I spoke to advised me that they’d had a number of calls on the issue.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

They’ve advised me today that they are looking to reintroduce Sterling transfers via the online portal, in the meantime you can arrange a Sterling transfer by phone at the Internet charge, the guy I spoke to advised me that they’d had a number of calls on the issue.

:thumbsup: