Ethiopian couple latest arrests in Suvarnabhumi cocaine bust

rooster59

Ethiopian couple latest arrests in Suvarnabhumi cocaine bust

gb6b69a9gd68d8e7a8ah6.jpg

Image: Komchadluek

Customs have announced the latest arrest of cocaine smugglers at Bangkok's main airport. 

Figures suggest that the smuggling of cocaine into Thailand is on the rise. 

Nabbed on Tuesday were an Ethiopian man and woman who flew into the Thai capital on Ethiopian Airlines ET628 from Addis Ababa.

They had 7.7 kilograms of cocaine worth 19 million baht hidden in five packages in an adapted suitcase. 

They were charged with smuggling a Class 2 drug as well as possession of a Class 2 drug with intent to sell and have been detained.

Customs told Komchadluek that in 2017 there were 16 separate cases of cocaine smuggling at Suvarnabhumi involving 45.49 kilos of the drug worth 124.49 million baht.

Since the start of 2018 there have already been 13 arrests involving 31.62 kilos of cocaine worth 94.87 million baht.

Source: Komchadluek

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-10

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

7.7 kilograms of cocaine worth 19 million baht

31.62 kilos of cocaine worth 94.87 million baht

45.49 kilos of the drug worth 124.49 million baht

Tuesday's price: 19 million baht / 7.7 kg => 2,467,532 THB/kg

2018 price: 94.87 million baht / 31.62 kg => 3,000,316 THB/kg

2017 price: 124.49 million baht / 45.49 kg => 2,736,645 THB/kg

So the price per kilogram dropped Tuesday by 17.76 %.

The boys at the Thailand stock exchange on Ratchadaphisek Rd stopped sniffing ???

Funny as the Index went up last 6 months with +8.54%

Edited by PAIBKK

34 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

Tuesday's price: 19 million baht / 7.7 kg => 2,467,532 THB/kg

2018 price: 94.87 million baht / 31.62 kg => 3,000,316 THB/kg

2017 price: 124.49 million baht / 45.49 kg => 2,736,645 THB/kg

So the price per kilogram dropped Tuesday by 17.76 %.

The boys at the Thailand stock exchange on Ratchadaphisek Rd stopped sniffing ???

Funny as the Index went up last 6 months with +8.54%

As all drugs seized are destroyed then their value is

000 point FA blank.

Unless you know different?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They mean its worth if they had been sold and not gotten confiscated 

Of course it's 'street value' but I reckon they should just stick to weight figures. As a shipment it's now worthless and will cost something to destroy even if that's just a few litres of gas to start the fire.

Any how two people are going to be staring at walls for a while and perhaps it may have saved a few lives taking it off the streets.

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Of course it's 'street value' but I reckon they should just stick to weight figures. As a shipment it's now worthless and will cost something to destroy even if that's just a few litres of gas to start the fire.

It could be the BiB informing customers of their new stock and how much it costs :smile:?

9 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

The Nigerian re sellers on sukhumvit will be crying right now

Probably back wherever and cutting what they've got left to keep going and no doubt with a price increase for those who are stupid enough to use the sh-t.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, coulson said:

Screening in BKK is quite poor. The amount who get through must be staggering.

I would bet that like many other countries most of it arrives by sea.

To be honest you would need the IQ of a transit van to think that bringing it through an airport nowadays is a good idea.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I would bet that like many other countries most of it arrives by sea.

To be honest you would need the IQ of a transit van to think that bringing it through an airport nowadays is a good idea.

How did they get it through the departing airport?

It's happening, people are getting away with it, some aren't. 

Never said they were smart, but sometimes they're smarter than the system.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Any how two people are going to be staring at walls for a while and perhaps it may have saved a few lives taking it off the streets.

.cocaine in Thailand is valuable and in such demand,it is extremely hard to import  ,it is drug of choice amongst the wealthy , this is the cool social party drug,along with extecy or X...this is not cheap yaba or meth...cocaine can be cooked ,the result of course is crack..so it is sold as powder and or rock  form ( the punishment back west is harsher if a dealer is caught with crack as it is highly addictive.)...in my humble opinion...I would not be surprise some or most of it goes missing..its just to valuable in Thailand.,and I am sure very easy to sell ( for the right price)..

Edited by mok199
s

3 hours ago, coulson said:

Most likely some 'uniforms' in the departing country are 'in' on the deal to get it on the plane.

The main distributors back home backhands the guy at the airport baggage check to let it through.

The two dipsticks have probably paid upfront for the load and nobody gives a BRA what happens to them.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

It won't be destroyed... It will be put back in circulation.. And why not?  In the UK it is now the drug of choice accross the class spectrum.  It was only made illegal in the west to fight womens emancipation.  I do not indulge but not my business if other people want to. As for the pitiful mules probably forced by threat to vulnerable family members.  The war on drugs is a war on the people which corrupts society at all levels more than the drugs themselves. 

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

It won't be destroyed... It will be put back in circulation.. And why not?  In the UK it is now the drug of choice accross the class spectrum.  It was only made illegal in the west to fight womens emancipation.  I do not indulge but not my business if other people want to. As for the pitiful mules probably forced by threat to vulnerable family members.  The war on drugs is a war on the people which corrupts society at all levels more than the drugs themselves. 

Can you exlain the womens emancipation bit.

4 hours ago, coulson said:

Yes. The bags should have been Xrayed there.

19 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Free room and board fir life.

Can't be any worse than 90% of Ethiopia.

Winning!

Stop admitting any and all Africans. What possible good do they do for this nation?

Bit strong mate.

Met a Nigerian guy when I was working with Shell in the UK. He had an engineering degree from either Oxford or Cambridge, can't remember, and was one the nicest guys I've met in O&G.

But, I understand where you're coming from re most of them on Suk' road.

Edited by overherebc

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

Bit strong mate.

Met a Nigerian guy when I was working with Shell in the UK. He had an engineering degree from either Oxford or Cambridge, can't remember, and was one the nicest guys I've met in O&G.

But, I understand where you're coming from re most of them on Suk' road.

The exception that proved the rule. Yeah, O/G Nigeria, got it.

I once had a grad student as teacher in a top university for math. He was from Ethiopia. Oh well.

When considering foreign policy there will always be anomalies.

The scrum on Sukhumvit

The sketchy teachers

Chronic issues in Ramkhaheng

Drugs

Prositution

Money laundering

Often aggressive and impolite

Whatever else they get up to.

I once worked here with a woman from Kenya. It seemed she thought the job entailed getting the job. After that, no work was required of her. Never met anyone with such disconcern and ambivalence. Work ethic was literally non existent.

I'd be write ok with a ban. I'm sure the average Thai would be as well.

Sure, let them come on pre-approvad and issued work visas.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1