Tourists hospitalised after fire rips through Pattaya Walking Street

rooster59

12 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Let's remember that when the police cleared out the street vendors from the side streets to enable better access for the fire trucks, the move was decried here by the mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus as just more corruption. 

And the bar signs which were too low.

4 hours ago, johng said:

so, how many Kg of TNT equivalent are we talking here?

or is "large explosions" just yet another example of journalistic nonsense ?

The transformer explosions are really very loud....no journalistic nonsense.

True.. It can sound like a bomb has exploded.. Like a terrorist attack. 

6 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

There was no disco involved in this fire. 

Contrary to what ThaiVisa wrote in the OP of this thread, Marine (Mansion) Disco has not been touched and certainly was not the starting point of the fire... :sleep:

The Marine building is the one with the blue roof in the back left of this pic,

and the fire mainly stayed around the transformer and the bar next to it on the corner :

117.jpg

I think most people are confusing the original Marine Disco on Walking Street, with the several other smaller discos in a few of the other Marine hotels nearby. The building in your picture is Marine Mansion, and had a disco on the ground floor, this is the closest Marine building to the fire. As you said, the fire didn't start in the hotel or disco, but in those two horrendously loud bars opposite (Ann Ann and Titanic) that would often be still playing Arabian pop music at full volume at daybreak. 

And it isn't even walking street, so why the thread title fire rips through walking street, goes over my head.

50 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

And it isn't even walking street, so why the thread title fire rips through walking street, goes over my head.

To be fair, almost every news report (local or international) identified the fire as being in Walking Street - only a couple of them mention it as being nearby. This is one of the first reports from last night, posted on here a couple of hours after the event:

Edited by lamyai3

Pattaya plays quite a big part in Thailand's "tourist" industry.  It provides a no holds barred venue for the hundreds of thousands of visitors it gets every year and adds to the variety of Thailand's varied nightlife. 

In other words think twice before condemning the place.  It serves a function and succeeds in that very well.  It is not for the family tourist who want to experience a wonderful beach and traditional Thai culture.  It is for those who want the other side of Thailand and to sanitise it takes away much of it's attraction.

I have been saying it for 20 years not about Pattaya but if Nana Plaza lights up no need for ambulances

just the foundation morgue trucks.    The fire exits at the back of Nana Plaza are locked & bolted

for " security reasons: "so you can say goodbye to hundreds of souls.

If some idiot drops a 1 kg incendary at the entrance they will cook thousands.

I live around the corner & avoid the place like the plague

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:
21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Two tourists were rushed to hospital after a fire ripped through bars in Pattaya’s Walking Street.

tough for the TAT to positively spin this one

Yes, especially if they were quality tourists, as you'd expect in this part of town.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, The manic said:

True.. It can sound like a bomb has exploded.. Like a terrorist attack. 

To the general public, yes I guess they would sound similar but the transformer explosion is a very very loud BANG with no blast wave but a terrorist bomb has a deeper BOOOMF followed by a strong blast wave that can lift a car off the ground..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, striderman said:

that is not the same transformer unit as the one damaged in the fire5aa59674c9df2_mar11013(Custom).JPG.eeb3fef8c8557cf07ce5bdcac58ecf79.JPG

Of course not. As said in Pattaya medias, the transformer had been replaced by a new one just the day before the fire ! Looks like they made something wrong during its installation... :unsure:

I've been coming to Pattaya since the 90s still stupid junta treat tourists like sex slaves and never invested a baht in developing walking street. Hell with them I hope fire burns all walking street area so they do something about how shitty it has has been for decades.

On 3/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Walking street, and the surrounding sois, are not my cup of tea these days but it does provide masses of employment and also a big attraction for tourists.

I'm not surprised that this happens, the lack of safety concern in this country is on a different level.

For me though, I find Thailand's backwardness one of it's appeals !!! Strange but true :)

Yes, very strange indeed.

On 3/11/2018 at 12:26 PM, dinsdale said:

Here's a thought. How about putting decent transformers in place and leave the rest as it is. The beach being an exception. 

would you be surprised if they install exactly the same  make of transformer again because they didnt know what went wrong in the first place and thinking if its a new one then all is safe. if no forensics are examining the place then how do we really know there are no other underlying problems?

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

When ever something is wanted to be claimed back or claimed, a fire is always the immediate answer.

No.

Don't know how many times I have seen this here. 

Give us the verified list; don't be coy, man. But you seem to have missed all the times it didn't happen.

Could be an accident, but we will never know.

But we know. Arson by sabotaging a transformer ain't happenin'.

I think at least 5 transformers have blown up in my neighborhood over the years.

19 hours ago, Basil B said:

Particularly if it had been on Walking Street, many of those bars encroaching on the beach have only one way out.  

Unsure about that. Many have an access to the sea in the back (terrace, door, big window...). If trapped in a serious fire, I would consider jumping in the water a good idea :smile:

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Unsure about that. Many have an access to the sea in the back (terrace, door, big window...). If trapped in a serious fire, I would consider jumping in the water a good idea :smile:

No good if they are chained shut as I have seen with my very own eyes ...and do not forget many Thais can not swim. :sad: