Best bank for saving. (High interest rates)

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Can anyone suggest the best bank to use for long term savings? (Not a day to day account). Is there such a thing as an ISA such as in the UK?

I am thinking for example of a bank that will give me the best interest rates and also ability to withdraw as and when I need too.

Thank you in advance.

1.7% from UOB for 12 months is one of the best available currently, you won't get much higher but that won't cover the increase in inflation each year. BTW there's a long standing thread on this subject, did you read it because you may find something useful there ?

Edited by simoh1490

4 minutes ago, henry15 said:

GSB - GHB - BAAC.All 3 are governmentbanks who  give an intrest rate above market. And very important you don't have to pay the 15%  government tax on your intrest.

For most people it doesn't really matter whether 15% tax is deducted or not since if it is, it's easily recovered each year by filing a simple tax return.

• Like 1

Read also the recent threads about how difficult it is to open a bank account and what you need in order to do so.
The days that a tourist can go to any bank and open an account seem to have gone.

Now if you have a work permit, or are buying a condo, better options

Edited by laislica
removed a not

29 minutes ago, Ruin said:

Thanks, Cyberfarang. I had money in the Bangkok Bank at 2.5%pa, deposit account. The tax stung a little though.

I will try your suggestion.

REPEAT, REPEAT, "For most people it doesn't really matter whether 15% tax is deducted or not since if it is, it's easily recovered each year by filing a simple tax return".

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

High  interest rates on your deposits, aye I remember them,just about,

as it seems to be a lifetime ago.now inflation is higher than what

the banks are offering.

regards worgeordie

You are correct regarding the present situation. However, I am of the view that interest worldwide will be increased , not that fast, but it will happen. It has already begun in the US and once the EU follows, the rest of the world will follow suit. As I said it will take few years, but I can see interest rates higher than inflation rates in the next 5 years

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

Banks here don't pay more than banks in our home countries...

That's really depending where OP comes from; for example in my country a day-to-day savings account pays from 0.00 percent to 0.20 percent interest, and a fixed accounts from 0.05 percent to 0.90 percent per year, and long term agreements of for example two or three years you can have 1.00 percent, or slightly more, per year; of course before 38% to 57% taxation. Major banks hardly pay any interest, I have 0.00 percent to 0.05 percent, and very long term 3-year fixed at 1.00 percent on retirement pension (great deal..:shock1:).

A day-to-day savings account in Thailand can give around 0.50 percent pa., whilst a 12-moth fixed account in Bangkok Bank pays 1.5 percent pa. at the moment – for comparison SCB is 1.4% and Government Savings Bank 1.3% (I don't check other banks regularly) – withheld taxation on "high" interest is only 15%, which can be claimed back if no other taxable income in Thailand...:smile:

Edited by khunPer

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

For most people it doesn't really matter whether 15% tax is deducted or not since if it is, it's easily recovered each year by filing a simple tax return.

To prevent misleading people, please be more specific. This is only for people who's income fall below certain thresholds, or retired people with no income.

45 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

To prevent misleading people, please be more specific. This is only for people who's income fall below certain thresholds, or retired people with no income.

Read it again slowly - 

"For most people it doesn't really matter whether 15% tax is deducted or not since if it is, it's easily recovered each year by filing a simple tax return".

It doesn't matter if you are retired or not, it doesn't matter if your income is very low and it doesn't matter if you're retired with no income, it even doesn't matter if you're Baptist or you voted for Trump, you can still file a tax return and get the tax back.

Where some people may not be able to get the tax back is if they earned a lot of money by working in Thailand and they paid tax on that income through the payroll system, even then, however, some tax may be refundable.

48 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

The easiest place to look is the BOT (Bank of Thailand) website. They post all the banks and current interested rates.

The BOT web page on this subject only covers standard offerings, it does not include specials or one off products which is typically where the headline grabbing rates appear, for that you have to go to a mall and look in the windows of the banks.

Also, the long standing thread that covers this subject can be found here, it's pinned in this forum at the top of the page and covers a lot of what's being discussed currently plus latest rates: 

8 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

There  are many people who don't pay taxes in Thailand. Because the don't generate an income in Thailand, and theire country of origin have an agreement with Thailand to avoid double taxing

39 minutes ago, henry15 said:

There  are many people who don't pay taxes in Thailand. Because the don't generate an income in Thailand, and theire country of origin have an agreement with Thailand to avoid double taxing

And your point is?

If a person is resident in Thailand for tax purposes, ie more than 180 days per year, and they earn no income in Thailand there is no point in filing a tax return here, Thailand is only capable of taxing overseas income that is earned AND imported in the same year, I say capable of because in practise they do not.

But if a person is tax resident here and they pay tax on their savings account interest, that income can be refunded here by filing a tax return covering only that income and tax. There is a separate and dedicated thread on that subject here: 

Edited by simoh1490