Motorcycle Hijack On Sukhumvit...

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People January 23rd 2007

Motorbike Hijack on Sukhumvit Highway

Another motorbike hijack occurred on Sukhumvit Road near Soi Chaiyapruek by a gang of four. Police think they are a gang from Huay-Yai or Sattahip that frequently commit crime around Jomtien and Pattaya.

On 21st January at 1.20 am, Mr. Kritsana, aged 21, came into Dongtan Sub-Station to inform that his motorbike was hijacked on Sukhumvit Road.

When he was heading for Pattaya, four men on three motorbikes approached him on both sides and demanded him to stop. One of the gang pulled out the bike keys and the other three started beating him up.

They then drove off into Soi Chaiyapruek with his bike.

At the moment the police are trying to capture this gang because of their continuing actions as it is causing a lot of difficulty for motorists that use the road. Hopefully from all the investigation, these criminals will be arrested soon.

SOURCE: Pattaya People January 23rd 2007

Motorbike Hijack on Sukhumvit Highway

Another motorbike hijack occurred on Sukhumvit Road near Soi Chaiyapruek by a gang of four. Police think they are a gang from Huay-Yai or Sattahip that frequently commit crime around Jomtien and Pattaya.

On 21st January at 1.20 am, Mr. Kritsana, aged 21, came into Dongtan Sub-Station to inform that his motorbike was hijacked on Sukhumvit Road.

When he was heading for Pattaya, four men on three motorbikes approached him on both sides and demanded him to stop. One of the gang pulled out the bike keys and the other three started beating him up.

They then drove off into Soi Chaiyapruek with his bike.

At the moment the police are trying to capture this gang because of their continuing actions as it is causing a lot of difficulty for motorists that use the road. Hopefully from all the investigation, these criminals will be arrested soon.

The bad news never slows down. I ride motorcycles everywhere, so this type of activity really bothers me. Have you noticed in all these hyjackings and muggings the thugs always beat up the victim first before taking off with their possessions. You'd think the beating was totally unnecessary with 4 on 1.

It reminds me of when a highway gang shot a farang somewhere out the back of Sukumvit last year around April. The farang refused to had over his valuables to a gang, so they shot him.

Back in 1979, when I 'discovered' Pattaya, I recommended it to a young Aussie I worked with in China. He came for a couple of weeks, acquired a tilac and rented a bike. He was motoring at the south end of Jomtien late one afternoon and ran into a bunch of locals who stopped him (it was virtually a dirt road back then), demanded money and his bike. He gave them the wallet but pleaded that they not take the bike as it was a rental (his first trip to Thailand now). They shot him point-blank in the face, killing him.

There is nothing new under the Pattaya sun.

Back in 1979, when I 'discovered' Pattaya, I recommended it to a young Aussie I worked with in China. He came for a couple of weeks, acquired a tilac and rented a bike. He was motoring at the south end of Jomtien late one afternoon and ran into a bunch of locals who stopped him (it was virtually a dirt road back then), demanded money and his bike. He gave them the wallet but pleaded that they not take the bike as it was a rental (his first trip to Thailand now). They shot him point-blank in the face, killing him.

I have never been to Pattaya, so excuse me for my opinion. From what I read it seems Pattaya is a pool of crime, maybe too many farangs?

I queried a guy I know last year asking him why he walked everywhere and didn't rent a bike. He comes to stay in Pattaya at least twice a year and in the Philippines he always rents a bike.

He told me he was cruising down the Sukhumvit Highway a few years back south of Jomtien when a cop stopped him and started waiving a gun in his face. Luckily for him his Thai companion calmed things down and he was on his way after being relieved of his spare cash.

That 1979 story is tragic, but it doesn't shock me here.

I have never been to Pattaya, so excuse me for my opinion. From what I read it seems Pattaya is a pool of crime, maybe too many farangs?

I suppose for criminals it's the place to be. There's so many here, they don't stand out.

I have never had a problem in Pattaya although I don't rent bikes due to the horror that I have heard. Also, I personally don't know anyone that has a problem there. But, at times, Pattaya does make me a bit nervous.

I always ride here. The fact that I've never had a problem yet does not make it safe. If you ride in the wrong areas late at night it shouldn't take long before you find trouble.

I always ride here. The fact that I've never had a problem yet does not make it safe. If you ride in the wrong areas late at night it shouldn't take long before you find trouble.

As it does anywhere in the world!! :o

It does not have to be night time. I live in Bangkok and around 2 years ago i was riding my motorbike with my girlfriend on the back on soi Thonglor during the day. The trafiic was very busy and i was in the outside lane preparing to turn right. I felt the bike veer left so i moved to correct this. I thought my girlfriend was moving around so just carried on. The next time was more violent and i looked around to see a bike over my left shoulder with a guy on the back trying to snatch my girlfriends handbag. She hit him until he let go and i just could not do anything as i was steering the bike. There was a car right behind us so i could not even slow down.

The guy the proceeded to grab my mobile phone case which was attached to my belt he nearly pulled us off the bike. The case was made of strong leather but he managed to snap the straps and make offf with my phone.

This all happened in seconds but seemed like ages and was scary as hel_l. I went to the local police station right away and i was not taken seriously which really p-ssed me off. Losing the phone i can live with but the possibility of being pulled of a bike travelling at 30 Mph is not funny especially with my (now wife) on the back.

I know this is not a hyjack but it put me off riding my bike for quite a while and needless to say my phone now stays firmly in my pocket.

Cheers Rick.

• 1 month later...

The bike hi jacking on highway 36 at night is getting to worry many of the people living in my area, much of it around the Shell petrol station, even an old lady in her 60s was mugged on her way to the market very early morning, haven't heard of a farang getting mugged or having his bike stolen but it's not a place to ride around,

We have traffic cops taking your money daytime and motorbike gangs at night.

I have never had a problem in Pattaya although I don't rent bikes due to the horror that I have heard. Also, I personally don't know anyone that has a problem there. But, at times, Pattaya does make me a bit nervous.

another stupid post, how on earth do you call the main road in and out of pattaya a "wrong area" are you kidding, sorry but that is just plain stupid, just like people claiming that walking on the beach front in a holiday resort is asking for trouble <deleted>, I have travelled many cities in the world and been on many holidays abroad - YES there are places that are not advisable to go and I've always checked it out before hand, where the phuck do advise people not to go in Pattaya ?

this really makes me angry, he authorities simply are not doing enough to make this city safe for its intended purpose...tourism

Edited by gharknes

> Have you noticed in all these hyjackings and muggings the thugs always beat up

> the victim first before taking off with their possessions. You'd think the beating

> was totally unnecessary with 4 on 1.

Well that's why they're 'thugs'. Or did you sleep through 'thugging 101' ? :o

Arrested by who? The Pattaya police?

Please.

They have way more important and more profitable things to do such as arresting tourists for not carrying their passports and prosecuting bar & Karaoke owners for playing copy CDs.

Don't think for a minute that the Police are the slightest bit interested in a crime against a Farang, as Bangkokrick discovered.

Sure, if it's a high profile crime that will be covered by the worldwide media such as the Russian girls shooting, they will quickly arrest a scapegoat and give it a huge media coverage in an attempt to prove their competency.

If you're foolish enough or adventurous enough to live or visit Pattaya, it's only a matter of time before you're a victim of a Thai hate crime.

Arrested by who? The Pattaya police?

Please.

They have way more important and more profitable things to do such as arresting tourists for not carrying their passports and prosecuting bar & Karaoke owners for playing copy CDs.

Don't think for a minute that the Police are the slightest bit interested in a crime against a Farang, as Bangkokrick discovered.

Sure, if it's a high profile crime that will be covered by the worldwide media such as the Russian girls shooting, they will quickly arrest a scapegoat and give it a huge media coverage in an attempt to prove their competency.

If you're foolish enough or adventurous enough to live or visit Pattaya, it's only a matter of time before you're a victim of a Thai hate crime.

Unfortunately, any attempt by the police to clamp down on crime will simply serve to inconvenence the law abiding...

I'd rather be inconvenienced than live under constant threat of various crimes, and I would find it much more "inconvenient" be beaten up by a gang of thugs than anything the police could come up with to stop this.