Where to get a laptop repaired in Pattaya?

JohnJay

I need to get Windows reinstalled on my laptop. I took it to a small shop and they told me it needs a new hard drive, I'm not sure if it does or if they were exaggerating the problem. 

Everything in Tukcom seems to be counterfeit. Where can I find someone trustworthy that uses genuine parts?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Try Wattana off Pattaya north road near Foodland. Probably 3000 b.

:unsure:

How can you give a price when you have no idea on the type of hard drive he has in his laptop ??

About the reinstallation of Windows, it's something really easy to do yourself. Microsoft made something good with that. You just need to download the Windows Installation Tool on an USB key.

See there https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media and there https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If your PC is not starting, you can make this USB key on a friend's PC and boot on it on you PC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

:unsure:

How can you give a price when you have no idea on the type of hard drive he has in his laptop ??

About the reinstallation of Windows, it's something really easy to do yourself. Microsoft made something good with that. You just need to download the Windows Installation Tool on an USB key.

See there https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media and there https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If your PC is not starting, you can make this USB key on a friend's PC and boot on it on you PC.

Did you read it??

How can you say he needs a hard drive when he feels he actually may not???

He can take it there from my experience an honest evaluation.  It may run 3000 b for that and Windows reinstall.

You got any better suggestions for places for him to go? Duh....

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Is there a Foodland on North Road? Maybe you mean Central Road?

There is a Wattana directly over the road from Foodland on Central Road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

Try Pattaya2U. They now have two shops - one (again) in Tukcom, I think it's 3rd floor, go straight to the back of the floor when coming off the escalator. The other is close to Tukcom parking - when you're standing in front of Tukcom parking, look 90° right, about 200 meters (corner shop).

These guys are really good, no rip-offs, and when they tell you a HD is fried, you can believe them (they've got some pretty good tools).

They repair Windows and Mac machines. Got a battery in a 3-year old MacBook air replaced (original parts!) at a dream price. And there's warranty on all they do. If they can't fix it, it's free. Highly recommended (disclaimer: I have no other connection to them aside from being a highly satisfied customer).

That is where I have been going for last 10 years...... Like the corner shop, as easy to park near there

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Did you read it??

How can you say he needs a hard drive when he feels he actually may not???

He can take it there from my experience an honest evaluation.  It may run 3000 b for that and Windows reinstall.

Seeing that the going rate for a Windows reinstall in Pattaya seems to be 500 baht,

I concluded that your 3000 baht could only be the hard drive replacement cost...

BTW 3000 B is nearly the price of an original/official Windows 10 licence !   (3'590 at JIB Tukcom)

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You got any better suggestions for places for him to go? Duh....

Didn't you read my post? I gave my solution already: Build a reinstall USB key and try to boot on it. FREE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

1 hour ago, everett kendall said:

Liberty Computers on 3rd road.

I' ve used them for years.

I've used both Liberty and Wattana (Wattana is on Pattaya Klang near Foodland) and would recommend either.  I think the one time I had to have Wattana reinstall Windows it was less than Baht 3000, but that was a couple of years ago.

Hey I am no computer expert just trying to help the guy out.

The place I mentioned seems totally legit to me not Tukcom type like the OP mentioned.

Whatever maybe call them or go in there and check it out.

I thought it was on north, but I forget old man.

They have a website for more info.

I need to get Windows reinstalled on my laptop. I took it to a small shop and they told me it needs a new hard drive, I'm not sure if it does or if they were exaggerating the problem. 

Everything in Tukcom seems to be counterfeit. Where can I find someone trustworthy that uses genuine parts?

go back to tuk com go up to the 3rd floor i think it is look for a shop in one corner near the escalators shop called King Kong thai man speaks good english tell him what you want and what your fears are he will treat you right and honest with you. myself and many farangs have used this man for 10 years of more.

Try Pattaya2U. They now have two shops - one (again) in Tukcom, I think it's 3rd floor, go straight to the back of the floor when coming off the escalator. The other is close to Tukcom parking - when you're standing in front of Tukcom parking, look 90° right, about 200 meters (corner shop).

i thought they closed a few years ago ????????????

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Seeing that the going rate for a Windows reinstall in Pattaya seems to be 500 baht,

I concluded that your 3000 baht could only be the hard drive replacement cost...

BTW 3000 B is nearly the price of an original/official Windows 10 licence !   (3'590 at JIB Tukcom)

Didn't you read my post? I gave my solution already: Build a reinstall USB key and try to boot on it. FREE.

This were vere expensive for a harddisk replace. The price for a notebook harddisk is under 2.000 THB and Shops like Pattaya2U charge in normal only 250-300 THB extra for replace and software instalation.

Exact harddisk prices from JIB: https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/pricelist/pricelist_main/886

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Good info' - cheers!

I have reccommended them myself before, even posted on here about them when they first opened their shop outside of the Tuk- Com complex in an effort to help them along in their new shop.

But then I thought after that initial start up period, their prices started to rise sharply.

Just an observation, maybe prices went up in general?

Another Pattaya2U fan here

Recently took my Desktop in because it would not boot, they called me and told me that I needed a new hard drive, so I said OK.   They transferred all the data off of the old hard drive, as well as the OS, and installed the new HD.   Only paid the 300 THB standard service fee and the cost of the Hard drive.  They returned the old HD with the computer so I could tell it wouldn't boot

Also had them repair a 19 in monitor a couple of months ago which I was desperate too keep since it was one of the few remaining square monitors @ 1,000 THB it was a steal,  IMHO  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Another Pattaya2U fan here

Recently took my Desktop in because it would not boot, they called me and told me that I needed a new hard drive, so I said OK.   They transferred all the data off of the old hard drive, as well as the OS, and installed the new HD.   Only paid the 300 THB standard service fee and the cost of the Hard drive.  They returned the old HD with the computer so I could tell it wouldn't boot

Also had them repair a 19 in monitor a couple of months ago which I was desperate too keep since it was one of the few remaining square monitors @ 1,000 THB it was a steal,  IMHO  

How do you get the data off a hard drive that won't boot up ?

Did they remove the disks from the inside and put them in a new hard drive ?

or did you have a solid state hard drive ?

Just asking 

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

Many years ago i bought a genuine windows Xp home addition from a shop

in pattaya, only to find out when i went to activate it the license  had already been used. so after getting through to Ms in Bangkok help center, i informed them where i bought it and when, they were most interested, they also activated it for me.

so there you go.

Edited by stanleycoin

4 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Just because the boot loader is shot doesn't mean the data is gone

You put the drive in an enclosure and via usb or fire wire recover the data 

So the drive still worked  to do this .

does the discs not have to spin to do this ?

Edited by stanleycoin

I could fix it for you, been doing it for 25 years. But no work permit so le's forget it. Replacing a drive is done in a few minutes with a screwdriver on most laptops, then just reinstall Windows. If you never done it before you can watch instruction videos on Youtube.

• Like 2

Why you not buy licenses online? For a genuine windows 10 license you pay just 5-20 $!!!
Much cheaper as the Thai shops sell it.

If you have a Win 7/8 license you can still update to Windows 10 for free. I done it 2 days ago. Just download the updater from a PC Magazine Website.

Edited by snowgard

3 hours ago, snowgard said:

Why you not buy licenses online? For a genuine windows 10 license you pay just 5-20 $!!!
Much cheaper as the Thai shops sell it.

One thing is for certain, if you are paying $5-20 it is not a genuine Windows 10 license, the seller may claim it is genuine, which it may have been at some distant point, plus all you get is the activation key, no software.

If you are not bothered about the software being legal, then no problem, loads of places can install in Pattaya.

The cheapest Genuine Windows 10 available in Thailand is around 3,900 THB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mattd said:

One thing is for certain, if you are paying $5-20 it is not a genuine Windows 10 license,

In fact it is, from a reputable vendor. If you google around you can find out how that's true.

plus all you get is the activation key, no software.

If the offer included the software then you'd merely claim it wasn't genuine software too. Anyway, it would make no sense: you download the software directly from Microsoft. 

If you are not bothered about the software being legal, then no problem, loads of places can install in Pattaya.

Of course, loads of places can install legal software as well. If they don't have it, you can provide it from other sources.

The cheapest Genuine Windows 10 available in Thailand is around 3,900 THB.

Which makes the online purchase of a license look even more attractive.

Edited by JSixpack

On 3/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, AsiaCheese said:

These guys are really good, no rip-offs, and when they tell you a HD is fried, you can believe them (they've got some pretty good tools).

They repair Windows and Mac machines. Got a battery in a 3-year old MacBook air replaced (original parts!) at a dream price. And there's warranty on all they do. If they can't fix it, it's free. Highly recommended (disclaimer: I have no other connection to them aside from being a highly satisfied customer).

this place is the BEST around....used them many times and been very satisfied with ALL their work.....

• Like 1