Video: Tourist Police make their intentions clear - we are going after illegal tourists committing crime in Thailand

webfact

Video: Tourist Police make their intentions clear - we are going after illegal tourists committing crime in Thailand

15-_180315_0001-1024x453.jpg

Image: Tourist Police

The Tourist Police headed by "Big Joke" Surachet Hakpal have made their strongest statement yet about their intention to clear out illegals and over-stayers.

Many of their targets are referred to as "dark skinned".

The Tourist Police Bureau have produced a five minute video outlining their prior actions and future courses of action.

1pm.jpg

video screenshot

The video features Surachet - the deputy commissioner of the tourist police - as the front man. The crime buster known as Big Joke (rice gruel) in the Thai media is fronting a crime suppression drive with a remit far in excess of what is often understood by the role of the tourist police.

He has been especially responsible for arrests of call center gangs. The tourist police bureau are known to be working with other police groups such as special branch 191 in this regard.

The video starts with his interactions with some suspects with the help of an interpreter as other high ranking police look on. The mood appears almost jovial at times but the intimation of the video is that the threat is real.

Later Surachet is speaking in front of a banner that refers to "111 targets, 118 arrests" and states that "foreigners have behavior that is affecting the stability of the country" that "starts with illegal entry and illegal stay in the Kingdom".

Surachet talks about his crackdown and refers to "dark skinned" people as prime targets. He says many are masquerading as international school teachers and footballers to commit crime. He outlines what action has been taken and will continue to be taken in places such as Bangkok, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Korat and Phuket.

The video centered around the commissioner's announcements made in Bangkok after raids last Friday that were previously reported on Thaivisa and other media.

More than 100 arrests were made with most of the suspects coming from Africa and India. 

Source: Tourist Police

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-15

• Haha 1

117 foreigners arrested in nationwide crackdowns

By The Nation

Tourist, immigration and other police agencies conducted searches nationwide on Wednesday and early Thursday, detaining 117 foreigners suspected of breaking the law.

Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, held a press conference at 1.30am to announce the results of the fourth "X-ray Outlaw Foreigner" operation, in which police conducted searches at 111 sites around the country.

He said 20 foreigners had been arrested for overstaying tourist visas, comprising two Egyptians, a Russian, a Dutch national, a Laotian, a Myanmar national, five Indians, a Grecian, four Cambodians, two Chinese, one Vietnamese and one Qatari.

Surachet added that 84 foreigners had been arrested for having entered the country unlawfully, listing them as 25 Indians, 31 Myanmar nationals, 18 Laotians, four Cambodians, one Vietnamese, one Iraqi, two Nigerians and one Afghan. The nationality of another suspect is still unknown.

The deputy police chief added that 13 foreigners had been arrested for working without permits or working in a job not permitted. Eight Vietnamese and five Myanmar nationals were detained, as well as a Thai employer.

Surachet said most of the suspects were "coloured" people working for football clubs or as English teachers, while some were Catholic priests.

He said police had searched 10 international schools and several football clubs in previous operations.

Police recently have publicised “Black Eagle” operations, which have appeared to target non-white foreigners.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340961

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-15

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you don't have a visa/extension in your passport or don't even have a passport then I would say there's a good chance you're not a tourist or long term expat.

'If it walks like a duck etc'

I think the correct term is customers.

As maybe you can  buy both in Thailand. :stoner:

Edited by stanleycoin

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

should we, long stay expats, be worried about efforts like this ? i believe we should, simply due to the prevailing thai attitude that anyone not thai is a tourist; how can these tourist police make an accurate snap judgment that we are either tourist or long-stay expat ? they can't, as a result we are ever more subject to harassment as an easy vent to their racism

Agreed, and i would include any legitimate long stay tourist or say, twice a year visitor with a valid 60 day Single Entry tourist visa that gets a routine 30 day extension.  I plan to visit twice a yea.  Each time staying just under 90 days each time then go back to the States for a few months, then repeat. 

Thailand has gotten a bit desperate for income so they probably don't like the expats as much as they used to.  Expats, spend a lot of money, but probably don't spend it at the same rate as tourists do, at least that is what the Thai officials may think. 

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"Surachet said most of the suspects were "coloured" people working for football clubs or as English teachers, while some were Catholic priests."

Those dastardly religious men, undermining the security of the country.

Were they praying without a work permit?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Thailand has gotten a bit desperate for income so they probably don't like the expats as much as they used to.  Expats, spend a lot of money, but probably don't spend it at the same rate as tourists do, at least that is what the Thai officials may think. 

I thought they were doing quite well for themselves, the currency is strong. I believe they may be greedy but not desperate. They seem to want to increase those 'tourist' statistics though! Expats are likely not big spenders and more trouble than they are worth and in this xenophobic society we might be on shaky ground.

Still, at 1900 baht each year a bargain.

28 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Those dastardly religious men, undermining the security of the country.

Were they praying without a work permit?

Well if past history is anything to go by............

• Haha 1

Since I have and carry a valid non-B, a drivers license, print outs of the green book for each of my motorcycles and other such trouser fodder, I don't engage in paranoia about being accosted by the police.  What is troublesome is the way the language and actions of the so called tourist police feeds into the xenophobic nature of the general population.  My wife is constantly having to go to bat for me as a good man; despite the fact I have been feeding and supporting a good part of the surrounding neighborhood in a variety of ways for years.  I still get the suspicious eyes and tenuous avoidances that leave an unspoken message.  Or maybe I am just an a**hole and they have me figured out.  Life goes on in the hood!  Cheers...  Doc   

Edited by Jiggyfly