Opening A Bank A/c In Thailand

Hi,

I'm a foreigner who travels to Thailand a few times every year for leisure. Now I'm keen to buy a condo in Bangkok. Got a couple of queries.

1) Can I actually open a bank a/c with a Thai bank when I'm in Bangkok to remit the funds from my country of residence to Thailand for the purchase of the condo even though I haven't which property to buy? If yes, is this advisable or best for me to confirm which property I want to buy before opening an a/c?

2) Is there any minimum amount of $ that I have to remit to the Thai bank per transaction?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm a foreigner who travels to Thailand a few times every year for leisure. Now I'm keen to buy a condo in Bangkok. Got a couple of queries.

1) Can I actually open a bank a/c with a Thai bank when I'm in Bangkok to remit the funds from my country of residence to Thailand for the purchase of the condo even though I haven't which property to buy? If yes, is this advisable or best for me to confirm which property I want to buy before opening an a/c?

2) Is there any minimum amount of $ that I have to remit to the Thai bank per transaction?

Thanks

Should not be a problem to open an (passbook savings) account although the requirements

seem to change with the weather.

If one bank says no, then just try another ... repeat as necessary. :o

No need to tell them why you want an account but it probably wont do any harm either.

No minimum transaction amount.

Naka.

Thanks Naka

Hi,

Thanks

Should not be a problem to open an (passbook savings) account although the requirements

No need to tell them why you want an account but it probably wont do any harm either.

Naka.

Hi,

Thanks

Naka.

I don't believe it's correct that there is no minimum amount. As the funds are intended for buying a condo the OP will need a Foreign Exchange Certificate, and to get this certificate from the bank I believe the amount has to exceed a certain amount. I don't recall the actual amount required (USD 20,000?).

Sophon

I don't believe it's correct that there is no minimum amount. As the funds are intended for buying a condo the OP will need a Foreign Exchange Certificate, and to get this certificate from the bank I believe the amount has to exceed a certain amount. I don't recall the actual amount required (USD 20,000?).

Sophon

Yes, Agreed.

However the OP simply asked if there was a minimum amount per transaction.

No mention was made of the FET form.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Hi,

Thanks

Reply to KhunBob and others : only last week friends opened savings accounts and no work permit requested.

Perhaps your info concerned checking accounts where a work permit has ALWAYS been necessary