Feeding a Thai woman

Kenny202

Been here 3 years living in Isaan and can never seem to satisfy these women re their food. I know better than waste money going to expensive restaurants (although sometimes still do). Many are too lazy to cook and in any case usually more effort and expense to cook than go out and buy from a restaurant for 1 person. I eat Thai and farang food and cook mostly for myself. Current girl Im with now a sweetheart. Thoughtful, kind, very easy going so none of the usual complaints there. But fark me trying to please her with food! She comes from a remote village that doesn't even have a som tam restaurant and her auntie and sister where mainly doing the cooking. They have no money so generally it was som tam, mama and noodle soup. As soon as they get with a farang they get all precious about food. First night we went out to a Thai bbq buffet restaurant and she wasn't happy they didn't have prawns. Generally her taste is either beefsteak or goong, but even ordering those from a restaurant never good. I am in a large city Isaan and we eat in Isaan and Thai restaurants at least once or twice a day. Mainly she orders Pad Kapow....like every single meal. Usually a restaurant of her choosing. I can not remember one time she was ever satisfied with her food.

Obviously the answer is if you don't like it stiff cheese. It's not even my problem I guess and I shouldn't be concerned about it. Its become like my holy grail to find something she actually likes. I am very satisfied with the food I have here. I have sourced everything I need to cook the stuff I like. I always think it should be me whining abut the food as a foreigner in a strange country but I sort myself out. Anyone else have the same issues.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah done all that before. She always says she doesn't know where to go. Not much choice atm anyway. She's laid up with a double broken leg and 40 stitches from a motorcycle accident. Going to fast around a corner. Guess who's her nurse emoji21.png

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ouch. Speedy recovery. My Mrs is well into bugs. She loves them. My Mrs would love to cook and clean more but I see no point in it. Better try or learn new skills. She's a good cook and cleaner but as you say; not worth the effort sometimes with low cost good food readily available. 

I'm not a soft touch by any stretch. But I take care of myself so much. Probably confuses most Thai women. I'm not one to sit on my a $$ and not help. But you start "helping" and seem to finish doing the lot. I've found with everything that's do its all or nothing. Anyway, not my point.

Offensive and inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed. 

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.  While moderators are unable to review each and every post, there is a report button for members to use to report offensive posts:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

Kenny202 your unlucky mate, my missus will eat almost anything.

Now i do most of the cooking, she loves chicken kiev, mac and cheese, cheese on toast, my own style beef meat balls,what ever i cook she eats.

Now her bloody family were invited for a meal, her sister went back to her hiome and brought sticky rice for them, they never touched what a had cooked.

I don't expect her to like farang food. I'm happy for her to try stuff and some things she'll like, others she won't. I've been on a search to find lardna she likes. 4 attempts and last time it was nice. She complained had a tiny bit of onion in it. Well pick it out and don't eat it. I really shudnt worry about it

LOL... it’s mostly lack of experience I think. You’d have the same problem with a country girl in any country.

My gf and I have travelled to every continent and this has never been an issue. She’s as happy with wine and blue cheese or fish tacos as with pad kaprow. When we go to one of the international restaurants (i.e. Banyan Tree) in Bangkok, she never orders Thai food.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

LOL... it’s mostly lack of experience I think. You’d have the same problem with a country girl in any country.

My gf and I have travelled to every continent and this has never been an issue. She’s as happy with wine and blue cheese or fish tacos as with pad kaprow. When we go to one of the international restaurants (i.e. Banyan Tree) in Bangkok, she never orders Thai food.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
I'd understand that if we were in a foreign country... talking about thai, noodle soup and Isaan restaurants mainly. Mind you I think a lot of the food here is rubbish in the city anyway. Everything done to maximize profit. Thai seem happy with a bowl of virtually tasteless watered down soup with noodles and a handful of veg. They flavor it with a host of chemicals and sugar. Best food I've had either Bangkok or the larger country Amphurs

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I don't expect her to like farang food. I'm happy for her to try stuff and some things she'll like, others she won't. I've been on a search to find lardna she likes. 4 attempts and last time it was nice. She complained had a tiny bit of onion in it. Well pick it out and don't eat it. I really shudnt worry about it

Sorry, but you seem to making a problem out of nothing.

If she's that fussy, just work out what you think is a fair amount for her to spend on food and give that to her, to take care of her own meals.

It really isn't your problem at all.

I must have been lucky as my wife did all the cooking when she wasn't working, including for me.

I didn't cook for her as she only liked stuff that smelled horrible, most of the time.

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but you seem to making a problem out of nothing.

If she's that fussy, just work out what you think is a fair amount for her to spend on food and give that to her, to take care of her own meals.

It really isn't your problem at all.

I must have been lucky as my wife did all the cooking when she wasn't working, including for me.

I didn't cook for her as she only liked stuff that smelled horrible, most of the time.

Well said...PT Barnum would be rolling his eyes reading this thread!

On 3/17/2018 at 11:05 PM, Kenny202 said:

I'd understand that if we were in a foreign country... talking about thai, noodle soup and Isaan restaurants mainly. Mind you I think a lot of the food here is rubbish in the city anyway. Everything done to maximize profit. Thai seem happy with a bowl of virtually tasteless watered down soup with noodles and a handful of veg. They flavor it with a host of chemicals and sugar. Best food I've had either Bangkok or the larger country Amphurs

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. We eat that stuff in Thailand too. 

My wife is a bit picky about food.  She likes a wide range of Thai foods but is fussy about the prep.  Everything must be clean, fresh and properly spiced.  She's even picky about the way things are sliced or chopped. She won't eat some of her friends food, but they love hers.  I guess after 50 years of cooking, one gets used to certain ways and tastes.  Since I'm vegetarian, she's gone out of her way to adapt many dishes with great success.  She used to have parties here in the U.S. on Thanksgiving and Christmas that were a big hit with her local Thai and Malaysian buddies. 20 or more people yakking and joking and eating.