Which is smartest choice -- "Android Box" or "Intel PC Stick" -- for 1_Office Apps., 2_Internet Browsing [ incl. Youtube etc. ] + Emailing, & 3_TV + Radio Channels

I have just purchased an Android Smart TV Box [ Brand Name ; X96 Mini ; Spec.s ; Please see some below ].

Purposes

1_

using free office applications [ incl. Libreoffice ; Ref. www.libreoffice.org ]

2_

using Internet Browser for viewing & interacting with websites,

viewing Youtube videos, GAB videos, etc

using email

3_

viewing live, & recorded, TV channel programmes

incl.

NHK World ; Japanese TV Channel broadcasting in English

The X96 Mini" Smart TV Box cost me THB 1,200

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have since been told by staff at other Thai retail shops :

1_

4k Video Decoding ==> this Smart TV Box really needs 4k TV for it to play proper picture quality

2_

this Smart TV Box will perform very slowly ;

Because, the overall spec is too low.

Rather, 1 shop advised, an outlay of THB 3,000 upwards would provide a much more satisfactory Smart TV Box

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Question ;

Would an Intel PC Stick  [ Available on Lazada.co.th for THB 3,000 ] be a smarter purchase to perform all of my above personal requirements, & more ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Some Spec.s of X96 Mini Smart TV Box

Operating Sys.

Type ; Android

Version ; 7.1.2

Upgrade Support ; OTA

Sys. on Chip [ SoC ] Integrated Circuit

Brand ; Amlogic

Model ; S905W

CPU

Brand ; ARM

Series ; Cortex

No. of Cores ; 4

Speed ; up to 2 GHz

Graphics Processor Unit [ GPU ]

No. of Core ; 5

Model ; Mali-450

Memories

RAM ; 1GB

Solid-State ; 8GB,

LAN

100 m

WiFi

2.4 G

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

X96 Mini is a piece of crap, as are ALL tv boxes below $50 these days.

S905W processor is a very cheap, read low spec, processor because the only thing that counts these days is sell sell sell.

The S905W supports 4K but only up to 30fps.

If you want to buy a decent TV box consider at least 2Gb RAM, and spend at least $75 for a S905X processor box or +100$ for a S912 processor, box otherwise you will have a box that overheats and underperforms.

Even then you will have to be selective, as there are also crap boxes for those prices, and may have to consider some modest hardware changes and custom firmware.

Hi Janclaes47,

Thanks for very robust authoritative reply.

QUESTIONS

1_

What to do now with my X96 Mini ?

2_

How about using Intel PC Stick ?

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?_keyori=ss&from=input&page=1&q=intel pc stick&sort=priceasc&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719cVXlsIF

e.g.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-pc-compute-stick-tv-box-quad-core-intel-atom-z3735f-windows10-os-232gb-intl-i110351042-s112267410.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.67801dd5sGTtoV&search=1

Mini PC Compute Stick

TV-Box

Quad-Core Intel Atom Z3735F  Processor CPU 1.4GHZ

Windows10 O

S 2+32GB

Intel HD Graphics Graphics Processor

DDR3
2G RAM
32G ROM

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

17 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Sorry, I have no experience with the Intel stick, my thing is Android boxes and believe me I know what I'm talking about.

I don't see a Ethernet port on the Intel stick, which would be a no no for me right away.

If you want to watch live tv you need a wired connection.

Edit : by the way, the live tv apps are mostly developed for Android.

You can install Kodi on Windows 10, but Atom processor will have issues with X264 decoding, which many streams are these days.

Edit 2 : Did you notice that your X96 mini runs in 720p only?

Edited by janclaes47

Thanks again for helpful reply Janclaes47,

Possible that some Intel PC Sticks are unofficial / fake, & some moreover fake even so far as not having the Intel CPU stated in the literature.

I just noticed some of the Intel PC Sticks listed on Page #1 of Lazada.co.th Price "Low" to "High" have both Windows & Android stated ;

I suspicious if that would be successful because I was authoritatively informed that to install Android as additional Operating System is not really feasible with Intel PC Stick.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The most sincerely helpful & knowledgeable Thai IT staff member who spoke about Android Smart TV Box said ;

"The necessary ports on Android Smart TV Box & on Display Unit so as to have good performance are HDMI."

Intel PC Stick has HDMI port.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I will search to see if an Intel PC Stick model has Ethernet Port.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QUESTION

Is it that u think that Internet input should be wired rather than :

3G ?

Air-Card / Direct

Wi-Fi / Pairing

4G

Air-Card / Direct

Wi-Fi / Pairing

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

42 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Edit 2 : Did you notice that your X96 mini runs in 720p only?

Janclaes47,

I am devoid of an independent display unit presently.

And, interestingly, I have another thread started today with view to filling that void ;

Title ;

Feasibility of Projector + Screen as good substitute for Computer Monitor & TV Display ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

2 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

QUESTION

Is it that u think that Internet input should be wired rather than :

3G ?

Air-Card / Direct

Wi-Fi / Pairing

4G

Air-Card / Direct

Wi-Fi / Pairing

Regards,

A wireless connection, regardless of how good your signal, is always prone to interference.So if you lose just 1 packet, you lose connection.

You will also always get a lower speed over WIFI than you will get over a wired connection, and with the already poor international speeds available in Thailand, this can be an issue.

You will know that almost everything in this category streams from overseas servers.

With a live stream you can't build a buffer, for the simple reason that you can't store what hasn't been broadcast yet, though if you have a good addon or app provider they will have a few second buffer built on their side.

However everything get copied these days, i have never heard about fake processors because you can't produce them in your backyard, but you can definitely have fake eMMC and SD memory.

I just looked up about the Intel compute stick, and they are available with Windows 10 or Ubuntu, not Android.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Compute_Stick

On the Intel website the lowest price quoted for a stick without OS is $117

4 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Janclaes47,

I am devoid of an independent display unit presently.

And, interestingly, I have another thread started today with view to filling that void ;

Title ;

Feasibility of Projector + Screen as good substitute for Computer Monitor & TV Display ?

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

I notice that cheap has your priority.

As with everything you get what you pay for.

Thinking about getting a projector cheaper as a monitor, or at below 5K for projector + screen, is dreaming.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

I just looked up about the Intel compute stick, and they are available with Windows 10 or Ubuntu, not Android.

Unix --> Apple OS #n [ #n is my improvisation here by way of explanation ]

Unix --> Linux --> Android & Apple OS #n+1

Unix --> Linux --> Distribution ; Debian --> Ubuntu [ Thus, Ubuntu is a Sub-Distribution of Linux ]

But, I humbly qualify that I only a novice scholar on above aspect.

My tentatively held angle on this aspect has been gleaned from recent perusing of Wikipedia text & schematics of the history of these O.S.s.

1 minute ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Unix --> Apple OS #n [ #n is my improvisation here by way of explanation ]

Unix --> Linux --> Android & Apple OS #n+1

Unix --> Linux --> Distribution ; Debian --> Ubuntu [ Thus, Ubuntu is a Sub-Distribution of Linux ]

But, I humbly qualify that I only a novice scholar on above aspect.

My tentatively held angle on this aspect has been gleaned from recent perusing of Wikipedia text & schematics of the history of these O.S.s.

Android kernel is based on Linux kernel, as is the Ubuntu kernel, but they are different OS.

You can install Ubuntu or Linux on a Android device, but that doesn't mean they run Android apps.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I notice that cheap has your priority.

As with everything you get what you pay for.

Thinking about getting a projector cheaper as a monitor, or at below 5K for projector + screen, is dreaming.

Perhaps ur basis of prices is based only on  :

the bricks & mortar stores in Thailand ?

& / or

Amazon.com ?

Perhaps lazada.co.th truly have good quality for my requirements for less than THB 5K ?

But, I do not know.

I accede to ur better judgment.

Meanwhile, I am very appreciative of ur most helpful interest in this thread.

That u bring bad news is not personally felt.

I just want the facts ;

And, that is what u are supplying.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

3 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Perhaps ur basis of prices is

based only on  :

the bricks & mortar stores in Thailand ?

& / or

Amazon.com ?

Perhaps lazada.co.th truly have good quality for my requirements for less than THB 5K ?

But, I do not know.

I accede to ur better judgment.

Meanwhile, I am very appreciative of ur most helpful interest in this thread.

That u bring bad news is not personally felt.

I just want the facts ;

And, that is what u are supplying.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

I guess you missed my comment that said, you get what you pay for, and that actually counts for everything you ever will purchase.

No I don't buy these items from Amazon or brick & mortar stores, my quantity is high enough to buy directly from manufacturer, I thought you had figured that out already.

This conversation leads nowhere, and doesn't actually make sense to me, as it is clear that price has the priority over quality ( if that word even can be used in your selection), so i will leave here.

10 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I guess you missed my comment that said, you get what you pay for, and that actually counts for everything you ever will purchase.

No I don't buy these items from Amazon or brick & mortar stores, my quantity is high enough to buy directly from manufacturer, I thought you had figured that out already.

This conversation leads nowhere, and doesn't actually make sense to me, as it is clear that price has the priority over quality ( if that word even can be used in your selection), so i will leave here.

Hi Janclaes47,

"... my quantity is high enough to buy directly from manufacturer,

I thought you had figured that out already."

No,- I did not have that figured out.

So, I am even more acknowledging of ur superior knowledge in this topic.

Much thanks again for giving me ur earnest help.

"...  price has the priority over quality ..." ;

To an extent yes ;

But, only in a Henry Ford way ;

Henry Ford started with an end price [ for the customer to pay ], & only then tried to give the customer the optimum value ;

Well, allowing for his profit.

Indeed, moreover,- I am very curtailed by lack of disposable funds beyond say THB 5,000 for to provide the optimum solution.

Following ur input, I will delay purchasing until I have sufficient funds.

How much do u suggest such a unit will cost me at cheapest price ?

What is / are :

Brand ?

Model ?

Selling Channel ?

Thanks,

Our Man in the Tropics

2 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

Indeed, moreover,- I am very curtailed by lack of disposable funds beyond say THB 5,000 for to provide the optimum solution.

Following ur input, I will delay purchasing until I have sufficient funds.

\ Get a monitor instead and you will have something decent for 5K

3 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

\ Get a monitor instead and you will have something decent for 5K

OK if Monitor for TV Smart Box is  :

not HD ?

not 4K ?

A major prompt for me to think of small portable projector with both battery [ And, I am thinking that external battery away from LED ambient heat is best ] & mains options for power supply is that I am seriously considering planning to bring some TV Smart Boxes & or / Intel PC Sticks with me on future airplane flight so as to use in foreign locations as dedicated units for browsing web, sending emails ... inter alia respectively.

I did spot a very tempting  17" TV monitor in BigC for approx. THB 2,500 ;

Warranty is 3 years or more.

But, since it is glass ;

==>

3 kg +

Fragile  ; Vulnerable to breakage in stored luggage.

And, so I had the brainwave of Projector.

4 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

OK if Monitor for TV Smart Box is  :

not HD ?

not 4K ?

Look here.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/28134/235/LED-MONITOR--จอมอนิเตอร์--ACER-23-8--VA-K242HYLABID

Why you need a 4K monitor if your crap box can't even display 1080p? That said 4k content is very limited online, and requires at least 25 Mbps download speed to the server.

8 minutes ago, Our Man in the Tropics said:

I am seriously considering planning to bring some TV Smart Boxes & or / Intel PC Sticks with me on future airplane flight so as to use in foreign locations as dedicated units for browsing web, sending emails ... inter alia respectively.

Again, I think you're dreaming, someone who travels a lot doesn't take his monitors or projectors with him to check his emails, but uses a laptop..

Don't expect a next reply, as this thread doesn't make sense to me, hence there have been no replies to it.

1 minute ago, janclaes47 said:

Look here.

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/28134/235/LED-MONITOR--จอมอนิเตอร์--ACER-23-8--VA-K242HYLABID

Why you need a 4K monitor if your crap box can't even display 1080p? That said 4k content is very limited online, and requires at least 25 Mbps download speed to the server.

Again, I think you're dreaming, someone who travels a lot doesn't take his monitors or projectors with him to check his emails, but uses a laptop..

Don't expect a next reply, as this thread doesn't make sense to me, hence there have been no replies to it.

Where I intend to visit has no monitor that I can borrow.

Likewise, the internet shops are only a few in number & have only primitive ports.

Actually, probably no internet shop by the time I visit.

I not in position to bring laptop.

But, my plan to bring a number of Intel PC Sticks & / or Android Smart TV Boxes is wise if I have monitor / projector.

And, I only need 1 monitor / projector.

From our dialogue I am prepared to consider purchasing that TV Display ;

Yet, in meantime, I will continue to pursue enquiries as to the cheapest optimum Projector as solution for me.

Thanks for ur time Janclaes47

I wish u good speed.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics