Marriage visa - Need some advice

Need some advice,  My wife is a Thai national, married a couple of years. I visit 2 or 3 times a year for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and will not be staying permanent until I retire in 5 years.  My question is would there be any benefit in applying for a marriage visa now or just wait until I am living in Thailand ?

Depends on what you mean by “marriage visa”. 

There is no benefit in you having an extension of stay based on marriage until you’re living in Thailand, but the best ‘visa’ for you until then would be a Multiple Entry Non-immigrant ‘O’ visa based on marriage. It’s valid for 1 year and will cover your 2-3 entries per year and 3-4 week stays.

How good is your crystal ball ?
The only possible benefit in getting the marriage visa now, would be to safeguard if they increase the 400K requirement in the next 5 years.

Previously they have "grandfathered" the amount for those with a history of visas before the increase.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, roiethome said:

Previously they have "grandfathered" the amount for those with a history of visas before the increase.

They did not grandfather extension of stay (it is not a visa)  based upon marriage when they increased it from 250k to 400k in 2003. They only gave a grace period for those already on extensions for a year from when they changed the requirements.

They only grandfathered extensions based upon retirement but only for those that had been on extensions prior to 1998. 

• Like 2

if you are sure you will continue doing your trips as you are then i think you might as well stay on visa exempts as mentioned above extendable if you require a longer trip. Just do visa when you move out here or if coming for much longer periods and more frequently get the Non O multi for 125 quid

17 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Get the non imm multiple entry in your home country before you come to live here. 

For visits less than 30 days just keep doing the visa on arrivals, which are completely hassle free. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can also get a non imm. ME  in a near by country while your in Thailand ,such as LAO

42 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

and vietnam and HK and malaysia etc but why waste the trip when he can do before he comes

I'm just saying! two options are better than only 1

• Like 1

18 hours ago, glegolo said:

And if you are having the need to stay longer than 30 days,,, just extend this Excempt VISAS with another 30 days..

glegolo

When married to a Thai national, you can extend every entry with 60 days. 

4 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

indeed. but if in BKK, it only costs 100 baht more to get 90 days and home at lunch doing a run to myanmar. especially if the wife is working and would rather not take a day off to spend time at CW which usually would equate to a whole day anyway

9 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

excuse me. you were talking about if he was on exempt it can be extended by 60 days. my comment after was referring to non o. apologies. yes good point Poor Sucker

i think the OP will be fine without visas until he moves here. still plenty of flexibility for the pattern of trips he is taking at the moment

Edited by Happy enough
  • Thanks 1