Mass vaccination of mammals in Hua Hin to prevent spread of rabies

webfact

Mass vaccination of mammals in Hua Hin to prevent spread of rabies

By Thai PBS

F1DBDBE4-9063-4CDC-9B10-BF48FB356C51.jpe

Livestock officials in Hua Hin are conducting a mass inoculation of anti-rabies vaccine on all mammals, especially crab-eating macaques at Khao Takiab and Khao Pitak, as a prevention against the spread of rabies until March 27.

The district livestock chief, Mr Pittaya Kanama, said Saturday that livestock officials in Hua Hin had been trying to contain rabies in Tambon Hin Lek Fai to spread to other tambon, particularly Tambon Hua Hin where there is a large number of macaques gathering at Khao Takiab and Khao Pitak which are frequently visited by tourists.

Several dogs and cats suspected of contracting rabies have been removed from Tambon Hin Lek Fai after a 61-year old man in Ban Nong Khorn, Tambon Hin Lek Fai, died of rabies after he was bitten by a cat.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mass-vaccination-mammals-hua-hin-prevent-spread-rabies/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-19

There are about 800 long-tailed macaques in the Don Chao Poo Forest near Phana in Amnat Charoen Province - they interact daily with visitors and are seemingly dependant on this human contact.  Should rabies gain a foothold in this park it would be disastrous!  I hope authorities are immunizing these animals.

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

There are about 800 long-tailed macaques in the Don Chao Poo Forest near Phana in Amnat Charoen Province - they interact daily with visitors and are seemingly dependant on this human contact.  Should rabies gain a foothold in this park it would be disastrous!  I hope authorities are immunizing these animals.

Maybe when it hits a tourism................ maybe.

With such a huge mammal population wildlife and bats I would go for the German way to tackle the problem:

In Germany, the vaccine baits were partially ejected by planes, the animals have eaten them and thus triggered the immunization.

i live very near the temple in Khao Takiab.

hundreds of monkeys swarm over tourists looking for food.

they are very aggressive and will grab everything from your hands and even open your scooter seat if they can. 

i know because a monkey stole my registration papers for my scooter and I had to chase him for a hour before I finally got everything back.   :cheesy:

Archived