There is no right or wrong

bwpage3

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Retirement visa has been the same price for at least the past 15 years; 1900 baht per year. Immigration has opened up regional offices all over the place making it easier to apply for visas, 90 day reporting can be done by mail, on line in many cases. In 2003 (15 years ago) pork was 80 baht/kilo; (not sure about 20 years ago price.)  Food prices worldwide - not limited to Thailand - shot up because of oil and grain prices in 2005-2008 and have remained stable pretty much ever since. Average price for pork today in Thailand is 120/kilo. At 34 baht/$ that works out to $3.53/kilo or $1.58 per pound. On-line, Safeway is currently advertising pork loin chops for $2.99/lb, (89% more expensive than the current price in Thailand.)

It's been a few months since I was in Oz but if memory serves me correctly a 1.5 kilo or thereabouts leg pork roast was 28 bucks or so..... Say ten bucks a pound. 

Edited by tryasimight
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

This OP has started similar type threads on numerous occasions stating same content since he his departure. I am not sure why he does. I know if I left a country I would no longer post on the forum any longer.  I would have better things to do. When I was back in the U.S. with my wife I seldom even visited this site because it simply added no value

To each his own 

Seems pretty pointless to keep posting if he has already left........ Unless of course a form of Stockholm syndrome is taking hold.....he realises he made a mistake....cant lose face admitting it.... Keeps posting bad stuff to get a reaction and then use that as an excuse to return to LOS....and it's all OUR fault.  Sneaky bugger. 

Far fetched..... Yes probably.... Impossible..... Who knows. 

More importantly.... Who cares? 

Edited by tryasimight
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, torrzent said:

Isn't that what you just did? 

Exactly, his Post was him trying to get his own back on so called Bashers for merely voicing their opinion, America is in reality one of the most undemocratic Countries in the World, you may Laugh but dig deep and you will see, he forgot to mention the chances of him or his Kids being Shot Dead is far higher than anywhere in the world, look at the Stats, of course i dont wish that on anybody, just stating a fact.

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Seems pretty pointless to keep posting if he has already left........ Unless of course a form of Stockholm syndrome is taking hold.....he realises he made a mistake....cant lose face admitting it.... Keeps posting bad stuff to get a reaction and then use that as an excuse to return to LOS....and it's all OUR fault.  Sneaky bugger. 

Exactly.... He should move on unless of course......nah...... He is doing so well in the U.S. that he needs to come on here quarterly to remind the audience....LOL.

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

The OP has a history.  His MO is largely to bash on Thailand and the expats who choose to stay, and to lavish praise on his new home...as if it was just discovered.  If the OP would just let people make their own choices, no one would have a problem.  But that's not what he's about.  Personal issues?  Who knows.  But I've lived in the US for many years and I know everything about it.  I don't need the OP to tell me what's on offer.

But if I can use the OP's own tactics, I find the USA to be going down the tubes in the era of Trump.  The political dysfunction, growing inequality, gun crimes, neglect of the environment, deterioration of infrastructure, growing cultural division, massive government debt, unreal cost of healthcare...and this just off the top of my head.  Yes, I choose to live in Thailand and I'm happy I did.  

Well said.  The OP definitely sounds like a disturbed individual.  People should be thankful he is not in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

Yes yes yes.... but...but...but... this is not what the OP was on about... 

“It amazes me how many posters get bashed by other posters when they state they want to leave Thailand and return home.” (OPs opening line)

Oh' so sorry my dear friend I must pay more attention .... I got lost and carried away in the excitement ....................:passifier:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ScotBkk said:

Oh' so sorry my dear friend I must pay more attention .... I got lost and carried away in the excitement ....................:passifier:

I laughed so much!!!

i did the laughing emoticon thingy... but then I couldn’t give it the gold cup it deserved... because I was laughing so much!

but... Golden. ?????

Edited by farcanell
  • Haha 1

Here you say why you are moving back to the US for several reasons including:

5. Still at an age could go back to USA and move back into corporate America with high paying salary, benefits, insurance etc.

6. Quality of life is just much, much better for the entire family

No financial problems where I cannot afford to stay in my house

Medicaid and VA medical

So if you have a good job and no financial problems then why are you on Medicaid? Medicaid you have to qualify for as having low income.  Also has mentioned several times already cost of food in the USA is way more than Thailand. Until I made a trip back to the USA I too thought prices in Thailand was high.  Sure somethings in the US are same in cost or cheaper but overall living expenses (rent, insurance, food etc) are all more in the USA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Each to their own choices but the OP seems to be having a rant and promoting his own reasons for leaving Thailand in a need to justify why he did what he did which flies in the face of the title of his post which is ' There is no right or wrong '

You wish to leave, you leave.

We have just returned from the UK, my partner and I. We have been together 23 years now. Food and drink in the North West of England were reasonable. Supermarket foods, especially at Aldi, Iceland or Lidl, are substantially cheaper than Thai supermarkets with a much wider choice. Taxis were fairly priced. Clothing was better quality and cheaper in the UK for good brands. In the city centre bars, there were always some bar or other having a cheap beer festival, or a Monday or Tuesday club with drinks promotions all day, making them far better value than in Thailand.

We took a trip to Scotland with Shearings the holiday company for 5 days four nights half board on Loch Long near Loch Lomond and the price including side excursions came to 300GBP for 2 people, it was a great experience and cheap!!

Would we move to the UK? No thanks. I like the warmth of Thailand and the laid-back, lazy lifestyle of Isaarn. Not much stress. I love the cocks crowing in the morning, the national anthem played over speakers in our village at 8 am, getting up at 6 am to go buy breakfast for 60 baht from the street hawkers, etc

Boring? yes, occasionally it is, but I know many bored out their minds in the UK saving up all year for their two or three weeks holiday dream that I have been living in for nigh on 25 years. If I get really bored, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam are just a short hop away with Air Asia.

I met a number of Thais living in the UK, They didn't look so happy to me and the only common bond they had with each other was that they earned more money in the UK than Thailand.

I am fortunate to be able to live in either place but I choose Thailand because we have a nice lifestyle, We own our own home on a big private piece of land with no mortgage to worry about, I have also kept a house in the UK which I rent out, a happy relationship, and I much prefer the climate as I age, to the freezing cold of the UK.

It hit -10C whilst we were there and I could feel it in every bone in my body. It was miserable. They say the temperatures hit the lowest since records began when you took the chill factor into account.

Those are my reasons for staying. Life isn't perfect. Immigration policies of Thailand, silly crackdowns, gun crime, ill thought out new rules etc,

However, the plusses outweigh the minuses and when they don't I will leave. Simple!

Of course Thailand is better than the UK. Most countries are.

8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Who cares? You did enough to write all of that.

6 hours ago, NutsMango said:

I don't want to live in Thailand anymore as well. My situation is bit different as I'm ~ 30y old and don't need a job. I've been with my Thai gf for almost 3 years and she is the reason I spend a lot of time in TH.

I would prefer to live in Vietnam. While my home country in Europe is great, I hate the weather there.

I loved TH when I first came here, now not so much. It's becoming overpriced, nany police state.

It is getting more expensive than back home at alarming rate (not even speaking about Vietnam)

- food unless you count street food

- anything healthy

- beer is 4 times more, wine lol

- so many condos in Bangkok are empty but they still want 25k thb for tiny box + the stupid 2 months deposit which you never know if you get back as no consumer protection here at all

The visa situation is annoying as hell. Leaving the country every 3 months and to do extension in BKK travelling 30km away.

Don't even like to go out in BKK as mrt/bts/streets are always crowded. The cities in TH are dump hell, not livable and you have less choices than fingers on one hand. In Vietnam there are dozens of cities along the coast and even the small-ish cities have some great parks, areas to hang out, or even usable footpaths.

Risk of getting into problems just by saying the truth (internet act, defamation laws, lese majeste, you name it) or just by bumping into some ass hole who don't like you. Law here works only when someone decide to use it at particular moment.

The islands are beautiful - Samui, Phangan, Tao... but nice accommodation is super pricey + the islands are under mafia control so even more chance to get unlucky even if doing nothing wrong. Or just try to get a taxi from supermarket or after night out.

Which places in Vietnam do you like?

12 hours ago, Kimber said:

Why do I get the impression that you're not all a happy individual ? 

For you to meticulously answer ever single question, I would say you have some unresolved issues

Couldn't be happier

Love Florida, family is doing great

Thai son is off to the U. Of Florida this year

And what are your kids doing?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shackleton said:

Life is full of choices 

I  retired to Thailand in 2013 and have never looked back

remain positive  not one for sitting in bars but enjoy a drink when out for a meal with the family

Never say Never  as to returning to ones Country of birth as one does not know what the future holds 

Agree you can never tell what the future holds. Brilliant.

25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There is a right and there is a wrong. There is a right way to do it and there is a wrong way.

No one got flamed for announcing that they are leaving Thailand. They get flamed for going on tangent and opening up additional issues . 

I  only spend a couple of months in Thailand now , and plan to fully retire there in One and a half  years (counting the hours), but I will always maintain my Florida home because I know that one day I might have to come back home.

If I ever do decide  go back home after I retire,  and feel the need to announce it, I will simply tell people that sadly  circumstances   force me to return  , thank them for their support and friendship while I was here , and hope to be with them again in the future. 

I bet I would not get slammed by anyone.  

Nonsense. A guy got abused 2 weeks ago for saying he was leaving.

Lots of nasty expats in Thailand. You see them walking around as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Nonsense. A guy got abused 2 weeks ago for saying he was leaving.

Lots of nasty expats in Thailand. You see them walking around as well.

Please point out the post where someone got abused for simply saying that he was leaving

Not sure about lots, but I am sure there are some nasty expats in Thailand, but I am confused, is there any reason why they should not be walking around?

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The OP has a history.  His MO is largely to bash on Thailand and the expats who choose to stay, and to lavish praise on his new home...as if it was just discovered.  If the OP would just let people make their own choices, no one would have a problem.  But that's not what he's about.  Personal issues?  Who knows.  But I've lived in the US for many years and I know everything about it.  I don't need the OP to tell me what's on offer.

But if I can use the OP's own tactics, I find the USA to be going down the tubes in the era of Trump.  The political dysfunction, growing inequality, gun crimes, neglect of the environment, deterioration of infrastructure, growing cultural division, massive government debt, unreal cost of healthcare...and this just off the top of my head.  Yes, I choose to live in Thailand and I'm happy I did.  

Yet according to your logic, Thailand is going up hill with political disfunction (coup), growing inequality or rich and poor (domestic debt at an all time high, gun crimes (as if Thailand has no crime right?, neglect of the environment (Of course Thailand has no pollution, plastic in the water or trash dumped all over the country, Thailand has no infrastructure to deteriorate except 25 million cars on roads made for 1 million cars, cultural divisions (no racism is Thailand?), massive govt debt ( none for Thailand, right?), healthcare is proportional to the national currency.

Sorry but not sure which Thailand you live in? 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Exactly, his Post was him trying to get his own back on so called Bashers for merely voicing their opinion, America is in reality one of the most undemocratic Countries in the World, you may Laugh but dig deep and you will see, he forgot to mention the chances of him or his Kids being Shot Dead is far higher than anywhere in the world, look at the Stats, of course i dont wish that on anybody, just stating a fact.

Lets see, can you give me the odds on my kids being shot dead in America? Probably higher odds than their kids getting wiped out in an accident (car, truck, bus, motorbike, taxi in Thailand)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NutsMango said:

I don't want to live in Thailand anymore as well. My situation is bit different as I'm ~ 30y old and don't need a job. I've been with my Thai gf for almost 3 years and she is the reason I spend a lot of time in TH.

I would prefer to live in Vietnam. While my home country in Europe is great, I hate the weather there.

I loved TH when I first came here, now not so much. It's becoming overpriced, nany police state.

It is getting more expensive than back home at alarming rate (not even speaking about Vietnam)

- food unless you count street food

- anything healthy

- beer is 4 times more, wine lol

- so many condos in Bangkok are empty but they still want 25k thb for tiny box + the stupid 2 months deposit which you never know if you get back as no consumer protection here at all

The visa situation is annoying as hell. Leaving the country every 3 months and to do extension in BKK travelling 30km away.

Don't even like to go out in BKK as mrt/bts/streets are always crowded. The cities in TH are dump hell, not livable and you have less choices than fingers on one hand. In Vietnam there are dozens of cities along the coast and even the small-ish cities have some great parks, areas to hang out, or even usable footpaths.

Risk of getting into problems just by saying the truth (internet act, defamation laws, lese majeste, you name it) or just by bumping into some ass hole who don't like you. Law here works only when someone decide to use it at particular moment.

The islands are beautiful - Samui, Phangan, Tao... but nice accommodation is super pricey + the islands are under mafia control so even more chance to get unlucky even if doing nothing wrong. Or just try to get a taxi from supermarket or after night out.

This is why I read TV. One man's opinion may hold wisdom to those seeking it, others simply just have a need to bash away. Very truthful and honest post. Never lived in Vietnam so I learned something. Bashers your turn!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ericthai said:

Here you say why you are moving back to the US for several reasons including:

5. Still at an age could go back to USA and move back into corporate America with high paying salary, benefits, insurance etc.

6. Quality of life is just much, much better for the entire family

No financial problems where I cannot afford to stay in my house

Medicaid and VA medical

So if you have a good job and no financial problems then why are you on Medicaid? Medicaid you have to qualify for as having low income.  Also has mentioned several times already cost of food in the USA is way more than Thailand. Until I made a trip back to the USA I too thought prices in Thailand was high.  Sure somethings in the US are same in cost or cheaper but overall living expenses (rent, insurance, food etc) are all more in the USA. 

I said there was Medicare, not that I am on it. I am not old enough for it

And no, you do not have to be low income, get your facts straight

I just had a McChicken Sandwich at Mcdonald's it cost $1.00

One more thing comparing living expenses.

Apples to apples.

You are going to pay even more for a western style house not crammed right up on your neighbors than you would in many states in the USA

If you want to compare living and impressing all the friends back home with a 1 room flat, you win that argument

Don't you ever see all these houses for sale on TV US $300,000 and UP compare those for size and quality with the US, cost more in Thailand

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, sirineou said:

There is a right and there is a wrong. There is a right way to do it and there is a wrong way.

No one got flamed for announcing that they are leaving Thailand. They get flamed for going on tangent and opening up additional issues . 

I  only spend a couple of months in Thailand now , and plan to fully retire there in One and a half  years (counting the hours), but I will always maintain my Florida home because I know that one day I might have to come back home.

If I ever do decide  go back home after I retire,  and feel the need to announce it, I will simply tell people that sadly  circumstances   force me to return  , thank them for their support and friendship while I was here , and hope to be with them again in the future. 

I bet I would not get slammed by anyone.  

Don't bet too much because you have never lived in Thailand and have no clue of the people you might run across

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

I said there was Medicare, not that I am on it. I am not old enough for it

And no, you do not have to be low income, get your facts straight

Just to be clear, you said "Medicaid", not "Medicare" in post #1...and Medicaid IS designed for the under-65's who have zero or very low income....Medicare is available to all US citizens over the age of 65.

So I'm not surprised the poster who you wrongly "corrected" assumed you were struggling financially.

With all due respect, I think you need to get your facts straight... 

medicaid.JPG

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 2

I have only been in LOS for 1.5 years and I agree with bwpage3.  The Retirement Ext of Stay was not difficult to obtain and the cost of living for a bare essential lifestyle is cheap.  But after that I really don't see much that will give me a reason to stay for many years.  I have spoken to many foreigners who have the belief that LOS is the only place and they have no other options.  I always have an option. For me the most disappointing experiences have been the local people.  I'm just a source of money and after that I don't exist to them.  I don't see myself developing any kind of friendship or even a meaningful connection with a local.  They just don't seem to care.  I get the message loud and clear:  "I am a Farang and stay in my corner".  

Of course my thoughts are based upon my experience and others will disagree.  There is no Right or Wrong Answer.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

But after that I really don't see much that will give me a reason to stay for many years.

You haven't accumulated the Thai wife and kids yet ......... it's inevitable for those who aren't gay.