There is no right or wrong

bwpage3

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Please point out the post where someone got abused for simply saying that he was leaving

Not sure about lots, but I am sure there are some nasty expats in Thailand, but I am confused, is there any reason why they should not be walking around?

Whole topic. Go look.

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have only been in LOS for 1.5 years and I agree with bwpage3.  The Retirement Ext of Stay was not difficult to obtain and the cost of living for a bare essential lifestyle is cheap.  But after that I really don't see much that will give me a reason to stay for many years.  I have spoken to many foreigners who have the belief that LOS is the only place and they have no other options.  I always have an option. For me the most disappointing experiences have been the local people.  I'm just a source of money and after that I don't exist to them.  I don't see myself developing any kind of friendship or even a meaningful connection with a local.  They just don't seem to care.  I get the message loud and clear:  "I am a Farang and stay in my corner".  

Of course my thoughts are based upon my experience and others will disagree.  There is no Right or Wrong Answer.  

If you don't speak Thai can you blame the locals for not making an effort?

Asians are expected to speak English in the west or the locals will have the same attitude.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Married to my Thai lady for over seven years now, we have owned a house for a few years and just finished building a new one.

Being coming to Thailand for about 13 years, Joined this forum 10 years ago, I think I have a pretty good handle on Thailand by now.

I know a few expats in my area, all very nice people, happily married, contend with the good and the bad of Thailand.

Are There any bad ones? I am sure there are some, but not most.  I  dont move in their circles and they don't move in mine.

As far as this forum is concerned, as I said a 10 year member , never had a problem.Many good people here.

Many avatars I recognise, and regardless of the subject I click to see what they have to say because over the years I know them to be at the very least interesting.

One needs to know how to participate, and if necessary deflect or ignore.

I will say it again, people don't get flamed for saying they are leaving, they get flamed for trying to make those who stay feel like there is something wrong with them for not leaving also.

When people come in this forum and instead if talking about their particular issue as it pertains to them , start putting  all Thai women down, or Thai Children, or Thai people in general ,, 

HEY!! this is my wife you are talking about, my children, my inlaws! Don't be surprised if you get slammed.

False. They get abused for saying critical things about Thailand.

And if they say positive things about the other country they also get put down.

17 hours ago, uffe123 said:

Been here for over 20 years, when i 1st got here immigration was never a hassle, fees were low, didn't have to do 90 day reporting, and many things have changed for the worse. Paid 35 baht for a kilo of moo etc. The price of food is now basically comparable to the U.S. so no saving there.

Immigration was a hassle long before that and - if one eats in Thai restaurants - food is MUCH cheaper in Thailand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Asians are expected to speak English in the west or the locals will have the same attitude.

Not if they're on holiday for a few weeks.

Not to mention half the  world speaks English while hardly anyone speaks central Thai, not even the Thais.

(only 1/3 of Thais speak central Thai as a 1st language))

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Not if they're on holiday for a few weeks.

Not to mention half the  world speaks English, hardly anyone speaks central Thai, not even the Thais.

(only 1/3 of Thais speak central Thai as a 1st language))

The op was living there not on holidays.

Thai standard is taught in schools and main language of country.

If you can't be bothered learning it that's on you.

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The op was living there not on holidays.

Thai standard is taught in schools and main language of country.

90 days at a go = holidays to me.

Central Thai is taught but not spoken.

My 6 year old speaks Lanna at school (along with all the other kids) in Chiang Mai.

What always amazes me on TV is the ignorance about languages spoken in Thailand, I guess none of the 'rose tinted' brigade actually mix with real Thais or bothered to learn any Thai languages else you wouldn't keep repeating your nonsense. Just got back from Hua Hin, all the girls there were from Buriram and Korat. No communication problems, we all spoke Issan.

Rak Kwai Kwai!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

You are being obtuse 

In this forum and in any civil discussion we make claims, and we provide   evidence to support our claim , we don't  reference a particular content and then say "you go and find it"  There are hundreds of   Treads in this forum, how can I look at all of them? in what subforum is it?

and even if I found one, How do I know that the one I found is the one you are referring too??????

Ridiculous!   

You haven't even looked. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

90 days at a go = holidays to me.

Central Thai is taught but not spoken.

My 6 year old speaks Lanna (along with all the other kids) in Chiang Mai.

What always amazes me on TV is the ignorance about languages spoken in Thailand, I guess none of the 'rose tinted' brigade actually mix with real Thais. Was down in Hua Hin last week, all the girls there were from Buriram and Korat. No communication problems, we all spoke Issan.

Rak Kwai Kwai!

Wrong, it is spoken. I know locals from north and isaan. They speak standard Thai.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Wrong, it is spoken. I know locals from north and isaan. They speak standard Thai.

Not when they're with each other they don't.

Let's face it matey, you can't speak, read or write any of the local languages.

(beyond bar talk, ting tong, mak mak, jai dee, etc.)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Not when they're with each other they don't.

Let's face it matey, you can't speak, read or write any of the local languages.

(beyond bar talk, ting tong, mak mak, jai dee, etc.)

Thais mix from different parts of the country.

Let's face it you prefer to provide excuses for farangs rather than being real.

54 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Let's face it you prefer to provide excuses for farangs rather than being real.

I thought you were black?

Or did you give that up when you created your new account?

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Yet according to your logic, Thailand is going up hill with political disfunction (coup), growing inequality or rich and poor (domestic debt at an all time high, gun crimes (as if Thailand has no crime right?, neglect of the environment (Of course Thailand has no pollution, plastic in the water or trash dumped all over the country, Thailand has no infrastructure to deteriorate except 25 million cars on roads made for 1 million cars, cultural divisions (no racism is Thailand?), massive govt debt ( none for Thailand, right?), healthcare is proportional to the national currency.

Sorry but not sure which Thailand you live in? 

I knew it wouldn't take much for you to show your true colors.  You've been away from Thailand for awhile now.  Isn't it time to move on with your life?

• Like 2

I probably prefer my own country, honestly not by much. Both have qualities I very much enjoy.

My wife by far prefers Thailand. 

So, on the whole, we’re happier here in Thailand. I think the trouble comes when one or both partners start saying things like “we must live in ...... it’s so much better”. 

More off-topic troll posts and petty bickering posts have been removed from this thread.

If the protagonists continue with this behaviour, you will receive a posting suspension from the Forum.

Be warned.

thin-ice.jpg

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

But their first language is issan/lao, its the first language for around 20 million Thais, they learn Thai at school but continue to speak issan\lao\kmer at home, markets and farms/unskilled labor etc

• Like 1

Elementary and secondary levels[edit]

At elementary levels, students study eight core subjects each semester: Thai language, mathematics, science, social science, health and physical education, arts and music, technology, and foreign languages. At age 16 (Matthayom 4), students are allowed to choose one or two elective courses. The science program (Wit-Kanit) and the mathematics-English language program (Sil-Kamnuan) are among the most popular. Foreign language programs (Sil-Phasa) in (Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and German) for example, and the social science program (sometimes called the general program) are also offered. Both elementary and secondary levels have special programs, the English Program and the Gifted Program. In the English Program students learn every subject in English except for Thai and social studies. The Gifted Program is mathematics-science focused.