Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

webfact

By The Nation

29342437_1055689581238248_3490469580147523584_n.jpg

Facebook Watchdogthailand

Ten animal-rights groups issued an urgent plea on Monday for foreigners living in Hua Hin to claim “ownership” of stray dogs being rounded up there, lest the animals be put to death.

The groups posted on the Watchdog Thailand Facebook page after Livestock Department officials rounded up stray dogs in the neighbourhood of a house whose owner died from a cat bite.

They said the captured strays were wearing tags to show they’d been vaccinated against rabies.

They expressed doubt about the livestock officials’ clam that the dogs would be kept at a quarantine centre in Phetchaburi and then sent to a government-run animal shelter in Buri Ram.

The groups suspect instead that the dogs would be exterminated as per the rabies-control law.

They said Western expatriates who have been feeding the strays should come forward and claim to “own” the dogs to save them from being put down.

Making the plea were the Save Elephant Foundation, SOS Animals Thailand, the Hope Thailand, A Call For Animal Rights Thailand, Thai Love Animals, the Man That Rescued Dogs, Pac Pattaya, Dog Nation, Soi Dogs Matter and Watchdog Thailand.

An official at the Hua Hin Livestock Office, speaking on condition of anonymity, warned however that legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to obstruct rabies-control efforts.

They could be charged with violating Article 23 of the animal-cruelty act, which prohibits pet owners from releasing their animals on streets, the official said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341324

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-20

Utterly nonsense....!!

When the Thai authorities finally have decided to address to stray-dog problem, we don't need a group of expats to act as 'angels' for the poor poor dogs..

Strays are a menage and spread diseases.....

And sadly (I like dogs) there is only one (final) solution to the problem...

Those farang will be the new owners of those dogs. Fine them every day again if they don't keep their pets on their own land.

After 3 fines the punishment will go more harsh...

If i ever drive my motocy and get an accident caused by a freerunning soidog owned by a farang i sure will use my free legal assistance of the travelinsurance and let them claim ALL costs on him/her farang.

You do realize that they are going to kill stray dogs because someone died of a CAT bite, right?

I'm not recommending they kill every cat, but this is a bizarre response to a non-existent problem. The dogs didn't cause this problem.

Five or six people will die from rabies this year. How many people will die on the roads?

Why don't we fix the driving problems here first?

Misguided priorities.

So, just give all those who want to save the soi dogs to stay a rabies shot... and I don't mean the vaccine! Rabies is spreading in Thailand at the moment and all the soi dogs/cats is one of the mayor reasons for that... but hey let them live and attack a human today, tomorrow or any other day!!! 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Why not urge Thais to do this! 

I doubt the expats are kicking their pets out on the street! Well I don't do that.

I like to play with numbers.....

Thailand has approx 1.000.000 stray dogs

Since it not religiously correct to kill dogs here...they have to be placed in shelters

Cost for each dog/day about 50 baht....(food, vet,rent and staff)

Dogs live around 12 years....Some will die soon because of age...others are week old puppies...so average time in the shelter 6 years..

6 years equals (6x365) 2190 days

So the animal rights groups need to raise a little money...

1.000.000 x 50 x 2190 = 109.500.000.000 baht       A whopping 109.5 billion baht

Time to open a few go-fund-me accounts....:coffee1:

4 hours ago, el jefe said:

You do realize that they are going to kill stray dogs because someone died of a CAT bite, right?

I'm not recommending they kill every cat, but this is a bizarre response to a non-existent problem. The dogs didn't cause this problem.

Five or six people will die from rabies this year. How many people will die on the roads?

Misguided priorities.

You do realize 6 people already died this year?Do you realize how many accidents are caused by dogs crossing the streets?

14 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

The person died of rabies, coming from a cat bite.

Dogs also carry rabies, so they decided to remove animals which can carry rabies.

Sounds logic to me.

Already six have died this year, so you claim none more will die the coming 9 months?

How many people die on the roads caused by soi dogs crossing the street?

Not misguided priorities, but finally a problem that is being tackled in more than a 3-day crackdown (i hope).

15 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

I think you'll find that rabies has a high priority world wide. The problem is that some countries (Third World/Developing) don't act on this priority hence outbreaks occur. You use the word bizarre. This I believe is an apt adjective for you're rationale somehow trying to link road fatalities to a rabies outbreak.

Why doesnt each animal rights person take two dogs each into their

homes, feed and keep them safe. Then if found back on the streets again should have a large fine. That would change their attitudes. How many of those dogs are suffering pain everyday and can't tell anyone. As a true dog lover I believe all dogs should have an owner and be safely cared for.

17 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

Why doesn't this Country do both? By the way, there are so many snakes it's hard to decide which one to kill first!!!!!

Birth control you half wits. Birth control

Now you have failed at the birth control you need to move into population control.

I understand the thai method, you will not prevent, but you can deal with the problem now

yes death to all cats and dogs that have no owner

Put your own dogs behind a fence, make sure they are vaccinated and the yearly rabies boosters are up-to-date, keep their shot records, then you have little to worry about other than government overreach.  Strays?  Soi Dogs?  What do they do in 'developed' countries?  They round them up, put them in shelters, and either the owner shows up, the animal is adopted, or if no one claims the animal they are euthanized.  With the rabies outbreak, Thailand is being forced into a 'developed' world mindset in regards to strays.  The animal rights activists seem to forget the health problem that rabies and other animal borne diseases poses to the human, livestock, and pet populates that are maintained by responsible citizens. 

22 hours ago, el jefe said:

Misguided priorities.

Sweet Mary mother of dog.

400 rabies cases so far this year

carriers are; first... dogs

second... cows

third... cats

so.... this is NOT about the cat bite death... it’s about rabies and the control of the disease... as in with 99% of rabies carriers being dogs ( I think that was the number I read) so 99% of culling should be of dogs.

cows don’t bite, ( to my knowledge) so less of an issue, although I do wonder about consumption of produce from a rabid animal 

crikey!

So far this year, according to Thai govt statistics, they have confirmed approx 30 cases of rabid cows. I would assume they have tested a lot more dogs than cows so the % of cows with rabies may be much higher than the % of dogs. Makes you think twice about ordering a rare steak or burger.

20 hours ago, jvs said:

You do realize 6 people already died this year?Do you realize how many accidents are caused by dogs crossing the streets?

Do you realize that according to the Department of Epidemiology, over 300 people died in Thailand every year, from rabies, until the 1990's. Last year there were 11. Those 11 were completely avoidable, since timely post exposure injections are 100% effective. So that's a national emergency, justifying wholesale slaughter.

Six people is probably about the same number slaughtered, completely avoidably, during the first 6 hours of any given holiday weekend on the roads.

Do you realize how many accidents are caused by humans who paid a few hundred baht to avoid even the most elementary training to control their vehicles. Not to mention those caused by the criminally selfish "me first" attitude of most local drivers who also think it ain't no big deal driving around loaded to the gills, or stoned, or high on yaba? But THAT is merely a problem we should get around to addressing at some mutually convenient time, right?

1 hour ago, fstarbkk said:

Do you realize that according to the Department of Epidemiology, over 300 people died in Thailand every year, from rabies, until the 1990's. Last year there were 11. Those 11 were completely avoidable, since timely post exposure injections are 100% effective. So that's a national emergency, justifying wholesale slaughter.

Six people is probably about the same number slaughtered, completely avoidably, during the first 6 hours of any given holiday weekend on the roads.

Do you realize how many accidents are caused by humans who paid a few hundred baht to avoid even the most elementary training to control their vehicles. Not to mention those caused by the criminally selfish "me first" attitude of most local drivers who also think it ain't no big deal driving around loaded to the gills, or stoned, or high on yaba? But THAT is merely a problem we should get around to addressing at some mutually convenient time, right?

Sorry i was wrong,the hell with innoculations for dogs,we can give anti rabies shots to people after they get bitten.Problem solved!!

On 3/20/2018 at 3:56 AM, Get Real said:

Let´s hope this campaign goes away quickly. The more strays that can be shot off, the better.

Your logic supports the position that the more elderly ignorant foreigners can  be removed from Thailand through road incidents, the better off we will be.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Your logic supports the position that the more elderly ignorant foreigners can  be removed from Thailand through road incidents, the better off we will be.

Off, course it does! In your mind. :crazy:

To me it only supports that it´s the sensible thing to do, to get rid of a spreading rabies infection. Sorry, that was to far fetched for you. I will try to be more simple in my thoughts and opinions next time our lines cross eachother. :cheesy:

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Off, course it does! In your mind. :crazy:

To me it only supports that it´s the sensible thing to do, to get rid of a spreading rabies infection. Sorry, that was to far fetched for you. I will try to be more simple in my thoughts and opinions next time our lines cross eachother. :cheesy:

No need to try harder as your thoughts and opinions are already simple.

You are advocating criminal acts and promoting a position that is contrary to proper public health management.

If you feel that strongly on the issue of saving lives, I recommend that you go and stand in front of Clock Tower or near Market Village and slow the traffic. Did you know that there have been more serious injuries and deaths in the past year in those locations than there have been in Hua Hin city due to rabies? All you need to do is to slow traffic a few afternoons a month and chances are you will probably save one of the school kids from serious injury. During that time there will not be one  rabies incident within the Hua Hin city limits. Or, you can hand out condoms in the red light district. You might be able to prevent the transmission of a few STIs including Hepatitis C and HIV.  Why people are panicking over a few rabies cases when children are mowed down on a weekly basis is beyond comprehension. More children die in any given week from vehicle incidents than  have died from rabies in the past 5+ years. Simple people do not seem to understand that.

56 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

No need to try harder as your thoughts and opinions are already simple.

You are advocating criminal acts and promoting a position that is contrary to proper public health management.

If you feel that strongly on the issue of saving lives, I recommend that you go and stand in front of Clock Tower or near Market Village and slow the traffic. Did you know that there have been more serious injuries and deaths in the past year in those locations than there have been in Hua Hin city due to rabies? All you need to do is to slow traffic a few afternoons a month and chances are you will probably save one of the school kids from serious injury. During that time there will not be one  rabies incident within the Hua Hin city limits. Or, you can hand out condoms in the red light district. You might be able to prevent the transmission of a few STIs including Hepatitis C and HIV.  Why people are panicking over a few rabies cases when children are mowed down on a weekly basis is beyond comprehension. More children die in any given week from vehicle incidents than  have died from rabies in the past 5+ years. Simple people do not seem to understand that.

I do not care how many die in traffic, and not going to stand by any clock tower and market. I do not care specifically about Hua Hin. Why the hell would I give out condoms to people that do not want to use them? My opinion is to shoot of all strays, and that will not change. That would help the rabies situation but not solve it. However it would satisfy me enormuos to can walk in any given street late in evening or even somethimes daytime, without having theese creatures of no use chasing and barking. Strays to me is just a big menace, and that is something that you have to get.

Your proposals for what you think I could do, is not interesting either. If you like it so much, go do it yourself and don´t talk so much here. Now I am not going to comment your less intelligent remarks anymore. I came to Thailand to settle down at an age of 30 years old and still here 18 years later. Have not made a thing since then, so you should not come on here and tell me what I should do or not do.
You are probably some kind of youngster living here on continous tourist visas, or got lucky with a volountary work. At least it sounds like that.

Archived