Thai Retirement Visa

Today I went to Thai Immigration to extend my Thai Retirement Visa which will expire on 29 March 2018. When they checked my Bank book they informed me that I needed a minimum of 60 days with 800,000 baht or more. My last deposit was the 31st of January 2018 so I can not do extend my Retirement Visa until after the 31st of March. I asked what to do and was told to come back after the 31st of March (which is a Saturday), and over stay my current retirement visa, pay the 500 baht per day overstay fee. And then apply for Retirement Visa. My question is: Is this the right thing to do?

47 minutes ago, Quast said:

Today I went to Thai Immigration to extend my Thai Retirement Visa which will expire on 29 March 2018. When they checked my Bank book they informed me that I needed a minimum of 60 days with 800,000 baht or more.

What exactly do you have? Do you have a extension of stay you applied for about a year ago? Or do you have a 90 day non-o visa entry or a one year non-oa visa entry that is ending on the 29th.

If a visa entry the 60 days is correct. If a existing extension of stay it is 3 months.

Immigration often tells people to overstay for few days if they cannot meet the requirements. Since the 31st is Saturday you will not able to apply until April 2nd. The fine will be 2000 baht.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

60 days seasoning needed for first extension and 90 for all subsequent ones.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

60 days for the first extension.

3 months for all subsequent ones.

Edited by Phuket Man

36 minutes ago, Quast said:

If they told you 60 days it would be because the thought it was your first extension. If not your first extension it is 3 months not 90 days.

Is it your first extension or do you already have a one year extension of stay?

3 minutes ago, Quast said:

I already have a a one year extension to stay which expires on the 29th of March. 

Then it should be in the bank for 3 months. I suggest you go back to immigration to clarification about the 60 day they told you. It could be they were trying to help you out by only wanting the 60 days.

It they say 3 months when you go back you will need to leave the country to get a new non-o visa. They would not accept your application with that long of an overstay.

Went back to Immigration and talked with the Department Head. She confirmed that it is 90 days not 60 days and that her staff member was incorrect. After she had further discussion with my wife and me, we were able to work out a solution which eliminates me having to leave the country and coming back with a new Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.

22 minutes ago, Quast said:

Went back to Immigration and talked with the Department Head. She confirmed that it is 90 days not 60 days and that her staff member was incorrect. After she had further discussion with my wife and me, we were able to work out a solution which eliminates me having to leave the country and coming back with a new Non-Immigrant "O" Visa.

If you’re married you could do a 60 day extension and then the 1 year extension based on retirement, or simply apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

Or did they come up with another solution?

16 minutes ago, Quast said:

That was the solution, a 60 day extension and then the 1 year extension based on retirement!

Given your situation I wouldn’t bother with the 60 day extension, and would apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage as it only requires the money to be in your bank for 2 months.

The end game is a 1 year stay and, in your case, it doesn’t matter whether it’s based on retirement or marriage.

Edited by elviajero

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Given your situation I wouldn’t bother with the 60 day extension, and would apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage as it only requires the money to be in your bank for 2 months.

And it only has to be 400k baht for 2 months. If that amount has been in the bank for 2 months now he could apply for the extension.

• Like 1